Show haters: What are the reasons you still watch?

Joe Pesci

I liked the tone of Rome more but still watched and rather liked Spartacus Blood and Sand.

I hated the way Hollywood used the title of one of my favorite book to make a generic blockbuster movie barely having any similitude with the true World War Z stories (and more that they blocked any truthful adaptation by purchasing the rights to do this crap) but still, as a brainless blockbuster and trying to forget its title I judged the film no worse than others in this genre, and had a good time watching it.

Etc...

Maybe I'm not a true show hater, but globally I judge GoT a very decent show, although I dislike many of the choices D&D made (I'd even say "most" story alterations this season) and would dream to see another adaptation taking directions I'd like more (who knows, with actual tendancie to produce remakes and reboots of anything popular perhaps another ASOIAF show will be made if it's a success, so I certainly still want GoT to be one).

Voicing negative opinions about the show is just a way to increase the chances that next season or eventual new version, is closer to our expectations.

I actually liked World War Z. I am holding out hope the sequel has a more anthology feel. Even if they give some of the notable "Battles" and "Events" of the war to Brad Pitt's perspective. Pitt certainly has the pull and I think I remember him saying something about a closer adaption. Maybe a netflix series. Those are all the rage these days.

As much as I love it, nothing Game of Thrones can do. Not even My man Wyman Manderly, would make up for canceling Rome.

Jon and Tyrion mainly. The scene I'm looking forward to the most is the Pit, and I really hope they don't fuck it up.

I don't hate the show, just what they did to Dorne and most of Kings Landing. Loras from "When the sun has set no candle can replace it" to "fine it's Dorne", and the sparrows from protect the faithful and slay the unbelivers to spill the booze and wreck the brothels.

Invested in the story. Simple as that.

I've always been more a visual media person than a book person and I'm mostly on the R&R threads about the show. I love the books so I desperately want the show to be great. It has been before. I guess a part of me still thinks it can be good again, but with each passing season and every dubious sentence that comes out of Benioff's mouth it seems less likely.

There is still some good stuff, but the balance between what's good and what's bad has been shifting with each passing season from more often good to more often bad.

Jon and Tyrion mainly. The scene I'm looking forward to the most is the Pit, and I really hope they don't fuck it up.

I don't hate the show, just what they did to Dorne and most of Kings Landing. Loras from "When the sun has set no candle can replace it" to "fine it's Dorne", and the sparrows from protect the faithful and slay the unbelivers to spill the booze and wreck the brothels.

Finn Jones would diagree

I wouldn't describe myself as a hater, but I am very critical of the show and the creative choices the two arrogant bums (Benioff and Weiss) have made.

Given the excellent material from the books, and all the money HBO has spent for the show and all the wonderful people that work on it (actors, casting directors, composers etc.) I believe the show would have been a lot better if it was made by someone who actually cared about the story, instead of the two jerks.

As for why I keep watching? Because there are scenes from the books I really want to see on screen: Theon and Jeyne escaping, Theon re-uniting with Asha, Jon's murder, Dany and Drogon, Varys and Kevan etc.

I raged and bitched all during season 4 and was burnt out by it. I had -100000 expectations for season 5 so none of the flaws of season 5 (except giving Sansa the Jeyne Poole treatment) were surprising to me. Going in with no expectations has actually made me enjoy the show more this season than a lot of watchers. But either way, I don't really hate this season except the Winterfell and Dorne storyline.

This is what you mean yes? From what I've heard, he didn't enjoy them making gay Show Loras' only trait basically.

You are completely wrong.

"It's an adaptation. As far as i go, Loras is still Loras, i bring him to set - My Loras, Book Loras and Show Loras..the only thing that has changed is his journey. I think the journey he is going on right now is way more interesting for an actor to play. I've heard that ppl think he's just been reduced to a "gay stereotype"..but he's just not, get a grip and some perspective..just because this season focuses on that aspect of his character is by no way means the character has been whitewashed."

Straight from Finn himself.

You were saying? Maybe next time include some real facts.

"It's an adaptation. As far as i go, Loras is still Loras, i bring him to set - My Loras, Book Loras and Show Loras..the only thing that has changed is his journey. I think the journey he is going on right now is way more interesting for an actor to play. I've heard that ppl think he's just been reduced to a "gay stereotype"..but he's just not, get a grip and some perspective..just because this season focuses on that aspect of his character is by no way means the character has been whitewashed."

He's already spoken out before. That reads like a dog who's had his leash shortened. He won't dare badmouth the show again.

I hate a few scenes that pop up here and there, but that's about it. I really don't have a problem with the show being different (though it sometimes irkes me when they completely cut out entire major characters) as I am able to separate it in my head into a sort of "the books are the books" and "the show is the show" sort of thing. Doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes makes things interesting.

I wanted to be a purist show hater, because my unsullied friends really aren't that bright and don't seem to pick up on any of the subtleties or nuances of the story. Every one I know is Khaleesi, the Queen of the world. One gal I know asked if Dany was gonna get Jorah medical attention to cure his greyscale. They are so cute. Began watching the show because I couldn't stand spoiling conversations and I had no idea what they were talking about. .I think the show itself is great and I am particularly pleased with the possibility of having a REAL ENDING to this story. It's been long enough and it's a shame we can't enjoy the book ending we deserve for being faithful fans before the television audience gets it. My friends who have read the books and watch the show feel cheated and I get that. I just wonder how many of them will let HBO end the adventure and not bother with whatever books will be left to read.

The opposite of love is not hate; it's indifference.

My idea is that if people take the time to come here to express "how much they hate the show now" or how "they're done with the show" , they're actually quite obsessed and will never stop watching.

This is too too true. Hate is fueled by just as intense passion (pathos) as love. Same as love can be addictive, hate can be addictive too.

For me, I sometimes read my posts after the fact and think I sound much more negative than I feel. If someone asked me I would tell them I love the show but there are many things I dislike about the show. Especially this season (and I am not a AFFC/ADWD hater at all). My main issue is that D&D don't seem to really understand the foundational basics of why it is that makes the story of ASOIAF work as well as it does. So when they change things, then frequently end up making it worse because they don't seem to get why the other plots points and character developments were successful.

But like I said - as critical as I may sound, I really do love the show. I never would have found ASOIAF without it - I don't read any kind of fantasy at all ever.

Today is the first time I've posted on these forums in literally, a year. Between now and then, a lot of things have happened in my life, I fell out of love with this fandom because of the endless wait on TWOW while hearing about GRRM's grand adventures, and fell out of love with the show because of the rapidly changing storylines, really an endless amount of reasons.

But.

I am so pumped about tonight's episode because for me, I feel like we might actually get a spoiler or some new information. If we don't, I won't be disappointed. But we're finally almost to the end of the (present) books, and yes, I am thirsty for a conclusion, any conclusion to this story I love so much. I can't wait to see some of the new Dany and Tyrion material.

I know you're just responding here to another post, but seriously, what else is he going to say in response?

"Yeah I agree, he's terrible. I hate playing him"?

Benioff would have him killed off in an instant.

Finn Jones' opinion on the character he is playing isn't a great measuring device to use in assessing what the show has done with said character.

I know you're just responding here to another post, but seriously, what else is he going to say in response?

"Yeah I agree, he's terrible. I hate playing him"?

Benioff would have him killed off in an instant.

Finn Jones' opinion on the character he is playing isn't a great measuring device to use in assessing what the show has done with said character.

I want the link to him supposedly saying the opposite. That is all.

Archived