Exercise and Fitness - The day you started lifting, is the day you became forever small...

Jabronius Maximus

I would think I've wasted my time if I lifted for 2 hours.
Don't think there's enough lifts to do effectively to fill up two hours.

EDIT:
Except if you're like Luke, aiming to be the strongest man in your country, imaginary as it may be. :P

Yeah I try to train as quick as possible but there's only so fast you can go when you're doing ten warm up sets!
I've got Britain's Strongest Man up in Glasgow this Saturday which I am currently cutting weight for. Going to be a miserable week.

Yeah I try to train as quick as possible but there's only so fast you can go when you're doing ten warm up sets!
I've got Britain's Strongest Man up in Glasgow this Saturday which I am currently cutting weight for. Going to be a miserable week.

are there weight classes in Strongman?  never knew that.

How did you check it?
I'd like to measure mine and set a goal. I thought it was difficult to measure without an immersion pool.
(I'm pretty lean but I'd still like to cut a bit)

To answer your question, I heard that a good target for men is to get below 15% and a very good target is 10% or slightly lower. Serious body builders might aim for ~5% (think of Arnold in his heyday) but that's unhealthily low.

I'm sure Google could offer you some guidelines though.

Women would generally aim for a higher target than men by 2-3% points at an equivalent level of fitness and health.

I should also have said that there is variety by body type of how fat is stored. Most guys store fat on their stomach and need to cut to show abs. Some store a larger amount of fat around organs and will therefore look more cut around their muscles sooner. It's all genetics. The latter look better but have other health risks.

I have a body fat scale. I know it is not super accurate, but it is fairly precise and does seem to correlate with what I am seeing in the mirror so it is a useful gauge for me. (I aim to maintain ~18%.)

On a rather low-key vacation with my family. One bright side is that I have plenty of time to work out! Although it's also hot as balls and humid as hell, so running nearly killed me even at 8 AM!

it's also hot as balls and humid as hell, so running nearly killed me even at 8 AM!

Running in humid weather is the worst.  :ack:

I did have a delightful run through Philadelphia last week while I was down there for a conference. Definitely helped that I got up at 6AM.

Checked my body fat for the first time today. 

23.4%

Thats bad right?

Based on what I've been told, the desired healthy range for men is 10-20% body fat.

It's a bit higher for women, but I don't know how much.

23.4% is not in the desired range, but it's not that bad either.

You should be able to get that under 20% (and lower) soon, provided you eat relatively healthy and are moderately physically active.

I actually managed to get to the gym last night.  It felt great

I woke at 4am, flew to LA, had a meeting with a client, flew back to Chicago and arrived home around 8pm, very tired and with a sore back from sitting on airplanes all day.  But after only a swim and one weights workout in the past week, I pushed myself to go down to the gym for rowing and leg weights.

I rowed 5km in 21:33 (close to PB) and then killed it on squats.  I did 290lbs as my heaviest lift again and felt even more comfortable.  I did extra sets at 250lbs and 200lbs just to enjoy how light they felt after 290lbs.  Leg lifts, leg curls and calf raises all were easy after the monster squat session.

I'll try to go again tonight for a run and upper body.

For those who squat: how deep do you squat?  Some people squat until their ass touches their heels but I find that if I try to squat deeper than 90 degrees at the knee (top of quads parallel to floor) then my knees go too far forward.  My hamstrings and lower back just won't let me drop straight down that far, even with no weight on the bar.

I also found last night that I was driving from the balls of my feet rather than my heels.  I may need to go back to placing something under my heels to elevate them slightly.

We had our first training game/opposed training session last night against another local team who are in National League 2, the league above our first team. That means a decent number of their players are getting paid. It was good to get back to something like proper rugby but, bloody hell, they had some big lads playing for them. It doesn't really seem fair for them to be both bigger and faster than me.

Archived