MMA & Boxing (v16)- Get it together, man.

Ramsay B.

Yeah, Holly was an undefeated contender who was a multi-time boxing/kickboxing world champion. This was very much like Weidman/Silva, where a very strong, promising undefeated challenger was able to take advantage of a champion fighting in a way that had more to do with ego and emotion than intelligence.

TJ Dillashaw had two losses - one of them fairly recent (albeit controversial) - when he somehow found a way to dominate a champion on a 32-fight undefeated streak for the second most amazing upset in UFC history.

GSP had only mounted one defense when he met Matt Serra, and so was far from the GSP we came to know and love as the true GOAT of the sport later on, but Matt Serra was only on a 5-4 run in the UFC and had just barely beaten Chris Lytle in a TUF finale of all things to earn the title shot which would make him the biggest upset story in UFC history.

All that aside though, what an amazing thing to witness. Aside from the stinker of an opener the whole PPV portion was great and the undercard produced some very fun moments too.

Let's be honest, nobody saw Holm as a very promising challenger. Holm struggled to beat Raquel Pennington for fuck's sake. Nothing about her performance in the UFC seemed particularly promising. Most people weren't happy that she got the shot because a) she didn't deserve it and b ) she clearly needed more time to develop. Or so we thought. I put it at least on the level of Serra/GSP. 

That was amazing.

Massive surprise. I wasn't rooting for Holm to win, but she did not steal this one.

Rousey came at her hard but did not seem to land anything in that first round.

Instead she got a number of hard hits to head. Her face looked pummeled after round 1, she'd absorbed a few tough hits to the face.

So on points that round already went to Holm. And then it seemed Rousey just got caught completely by surprise by that head kick.

She looked fatigued by the beating of that first round and maybe that is why she did not respond adequately.

She looked fatigued by the beating of that first round and maybe that is why she did not respond adequately.

That (although I think simply the running gassed her as much as the beating), and the coaching from her corner was completely inadequate. They told her she was doing well ffs! It was disgraceful. And if this guy's meant to be a striking coach and in four years or however long they've been working together what he's managed to teach her is that, then, well... he fucking sucks.

The impression I've always got is that Rousey's mum is crazier than a bag of Angel Garcias, but it seems she's right on this one.

Hopefully she'll change it up, and take some time for some new learning to bed in. I don't like Rousey very much but she's certainly a much more capable athlete than she showed yesterday, it was just obvious that she had no real training in either footwork or head position in that situation, and that she'd been convinced that she's a great striker when she's clearly not.

But I'm a bit worried by her mentality. She seems like she could fall apart from something like this. The Tyson aura goes beyond just her previous dominance.

I don't follow women's MMA anywhere near closely enough to judge how big of an upset this was but Rousey's stand up has never been overly impressive. There's always been the possibility that she could get picked off if a competent striker was able to keep the fight off the ground (easier said than done but still).

It's probably good for the sport that Rousey's been knocked off her pedestal a bit but hopefully she does kick on and come back a better fighter.

Yeah it seems they found an opponent for her that can really focus on the weak part in her game-the striking.

She was getting knocked back and forth in round 1 in a way I have not seen yet.

Holm IMO is quite special in that I feel the striking is often a weak part in the women's game as well.

Haven't seen Rousey challenged much on that end at all actually. Now she was and it was completely exploited that boxing is not her thing.

As for the other games, didn't like the other women's game much, or Hunt vs Bigfoot which was a disappointment. Didn't catch the earlier games.

I do find it quite interesting/hilarious how quickly some people can fall from Grace. Rousey went from the internet's darling and then proceeded to push Holm's fist into her face at the way in, not touch gloves, go for a bit of a lateshot at the end of the first round and then lose.

I'd say the last one is more important than the others though because if Muhammad Ali taught us anything its that you can get away with being as arrogant and assholish as you want provided you do it with style and win. 

I do find it quite interesting/hilarious how quickly some people can fall from Grace. Rousey went from the internet's darling and then proceeded to push Holm's fist into her face at the way in, not touch gloves, go for a bit of a lateshot at the end of the first round and then lose.

I'd say the last one is more important than the others though because if Muhammad Ali taught us anything its that you can get away with being as arrogant and assholish as you want provided you do it with style and win. 

There is definitely karma for someone who gets too big for her britches.

What's next?  Rematch, Cyborg, or WWE Diva? 

Yeah it seems they found an opponent for her that can really focus on the weak part in her game-the striking.

She was getting knocked back and forth in round 1 in a way I have not seen yet.

Holm IMO is quite special in that I feel the striking is often a weak part in the women's game as well.

Rousey's striking, and striking defence, are obviously very poor, but I feel what really lost it for her was the footwork. She's been hit before but the opponents never had any interest or ability in tagging and moving so she could just roll through it. When she needed to cut the cage and block Holly's angles she had no answer.

Striking is a weak part in all of MMA really, from what I've seen. It's one of the reasons I'm not a regular follower, though I seem to have started paying more attention this year (in large part due to Joanna Jedrzejczyk).

Let's be honest, nobody saw Holm as a very promising challenger. Holm struggled to beat Raquel Pennington for fuck's sake. Nothing about her performance in the UFC seemed particularly promising. Most people weren't happy that she got the shot because a) she didn't deserve it and b ) she clearly needed more time to develop. Or so we thought. I put it at least on the level of Serra/GSP. 

I have a couple of problems with this post.

1. You forget to mention that her fight with Pennington was her very first in the UFC. As we have seen in the past (Rampage/Eastman as an example), even the best tend to look bad the very first time they fight in the octagon. Octagon jitters exist. There are examples of people being perfect from the start (Anderson), but most don't look their best in their debut.

2. She looked a  lot more dominant in her second fight against Reneau.

3. Yes, there were few who thought she had a shot, but nobody thought Serra had one. Holm had the striking edge, Serra had pretty much nothing on GSP.

Gotta be a rematch. Too much money in it not to happen. Now if she loses that in much the same fashion, it's off to the WWE.

IDK, when something like this happens it opens up the division. Give Tate a shot at Holms. Rousey was a horrible matchup for her but with her wrestling I could see that being an interesting fight.

IDK, when something like this happens it opens up the division. Give Tate a shot at Holms. Rousey was a horrible matchup for her but with her wrestling I could see that being an interesting fight.

I agree that it should open up the division, but it seems to me you have 2 marketable fighters right now. Rousey, and the girl who beat Rousey. I suspect they will milk that for all it's worth.

A rematch makes financial sense but it doesn't have to be instantly and really shouldn't be from Rousey's perspective. First things first, I'm pretty sure she's going to have a bit of a breakdown after this- I might be overanalysing but her persona is one of needing to push herself close to the edge to hype herself up and that could go wrong in a big way after a loss. Either way, she needs to finish with her other commitments in film and all that, and then spend some time training, with someone other than Tarverdyan, on how to deal with an evasive striker.

If she goes straight into it three-four months from now she's just going to get embarrassed again and that'll be the end. If she'd won she was apparently planning seven months off or so, which would be plenty of time for a Holm defence in between and still might not be enough - she could do with a get-better fight first. Obviously that runs the risk of Holm losing and costing a big money title rematch but sitting Holm on the bench to wait for it would be disrespectful and silly..

Archived