MMA & Boxing (v16)- Get it together, man.

Ramsay B.

Another great night of fights this weekend. Every main card fight was a finish. Tons of back and forth action. Victory sntached from the jaws of defeat in multiple fights. Great stuff.

I was most impressed with Brian Ortega. I hadn't heard of the kid coming in but was immediately impressed with his guard. Got pounded on for 3 rounds but kept active and got a finish.

That was a great night of fights; as good as any PPV in recent memory.

Ortega was damned impressive, as was every winner on the main card.

Tim Kennedy is already calling out Hendo for a Fight for the Troops event. I'd be interested in seeing that one for sure.

That was a great night of fights; as good as any PPV in recent memory.

Ortega was damned impressive, as was every winner on the main card.

Tim Kennedy is already calling out Hendo for a Fight for the Troops event. I'd be interested in seeing that one for sure.

Kind of a puss move on Kennedy's part. Calling out the oldest fighter on the roster. What, was Ken Shamrock too busy? ;-p

Yeah, that was probably the best free show they have had in quite a while. The free ones have been snooze fests up until this one. Also, the last PPV, two weeks ago I think, was actually damn good. For once the prelims were worse fights than the PPV ones. The heavy weight fight was short but was action packed.

Am I in the minority in saying I'm not looking forward to this weekends PPV? I want to see the Connor McGregor fight more than this weeks.

Just got around to watching Saturday's fight night last night. So many first round finishes. Always impressive to see but I can't help feeling a little disappointed when a fight ends that quickly.

Ortega and Tavares took up position at the opposite end of the spectrum. So bloody it was getting hard to watch. I couldn't believe the doctor didn't call the fight before the third. Tavares' eyebrow had a huge chunk hanging off. That little push off the fence move by Ortega was awesome :lol:

Pretty hyped for UFC 188, I've started to really like Werdum, would be awesome to see him beat Cain. Imagine a HW champ that is charismatic/likable and actually FIGHTS! Cerrone has fought 8 times since Cain last fought, the last time Cain fought someone that wasn't JDS or Bigfoot was 5 years ago and it was Brock Lesnar. Edddie Alvarez vs Gil Melendez should be awesome, I hope Alvarez gets the win.

That was some crazy shit.

You know, its starting to look like having unanimous picks in a main event by the analysts over on MMAJunkie is a bit of a curse for the guy getting the unanimous nod.

Love this chaotic sport.

I'm ashamed to admit that I missed last weekend's upset, but I just witnessed a fight that had the combined age of 91. Shamrock's single leg takedown of Kimbo was one of the slowest things I've ever seen that actually worked in the octagon...or circle...or whatever the shape of that ring is. Then, 51 year old Shamrock's rear-naked choke didn't work and he got KO'd a few seconds later while Kimbo proceeded to yell into the camera, "I've evolved!". Yup, it happened.

Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Yeah me either but then again it's not like it would have ever been a straight-forward MMA match, Kimbo has been retired for years and was never good at MMA, Shamrock is in his fucking fifties and probably juiced to the gills. I feel kinda guilty for even watching it, the ratings this show will get are only going to encourage Bellator...

That was bizarre. A lot of people on seem to think it was staged.

That was my first thought on watching it. Ken had that RNC deep and then just sort of gave up on it. Kimbo was able to roll out without any trouble and the fight was over. It sure looked staged to me. That being said, maybe that is just what it looks like when a 51 year old fights.

I don't normally go in for MMA, but me and my brother decided to go to this one, since I live here anyway. Fun night. The only fight that had the sort of dull grappling that usually prejudices me against UFC was the supposed 'co-main event' between Siver and Kawajiri- everything else was good entertainment. A few good personalities involved, too - "Mr. Finland" Amirkhani and Nick Hein chief among them.

The scariest thing about Jedrzejczyk, from the perspective of her future opponents, is that she's clearly got room for improvement. She rushed in and smothered her first few attempted finishes, giving Penne a chance to grab her more then once- the first time she paused when Penne was reeling, measured her out, and aimed her strikes through the gaps in the shell, the ref had to end it.

Also: charisma out the wazoo.

Joanna was mixing up the pace the whole fight, her accuracy was extremely high. She didn't really do anything different in the exchange that finished the fight, she went for a similar knee in R2 and Penne was able to clinch but at that point in the fight Penne was seriously done, she was countering so slowly that Joanna actually caught one of her strikes and parried it away. If Penne was in a less fucked state she still could have desperately tried to lock Joanna up there but she couldn't and it doesn't matter because she couldn't do anything with it anyway and usually ended up eating something nasty when they disengaged similar to the Esparza fight. Part of the reason her striking was so effective in the Esparza and Penne fights is that she isn't hindered by being needlessly cautious about the clinch/takedown attempts because she knows they pose no threat to her. Penne is tough as shit though, much tougher than Esparza it seems.

is that she isn't hindered by being needlessly cautious

It's not about caution, it's about timing and distance. 99% of the time her accuracy was flawless but when Penne was properly, reeling-about hurt, which happened several times, she'd leap in with flurries of punches that were neither as accurate or as powerful as the rest of her work, landing mostly on the arms and letting Penne recover. She'd obviously made similar moves before but not when Penne was hurt like that - that's what was different this time. When she saw her slump against the cage, she paused, measured her out pretty much literally, and moved in much more accurately. Left the ref with really no choice.

Don't get me wrong, it's a small flaw even by the standards of punching in boxing, which I know much better and which is obviously generally higher. I don't want to sound down on her, I think she's amazing. It was never going to lead her into danger, it just prolonged things. But it is there.

Archived