College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

Such a glorious win for Cal.  They had been flirting hilariously with losing to every superior team and beating every inferior team.  This was hence their first arguable quality win. 

Just caught the end of the Stanford game. Almost surprised there was no band on the field.

ND deserved that loss. Guss Johnson makes every play sound like the last down of the Superbowl and every player sound like Odell Beckham Jr. but you can't let a guy with no vowels in his name get a 20+ yard catch with 30 seconds left.

ND deserved that loss. Guss Johnson makes every play sound like the last down of the Superbowl and every player sound like Odell Beckham Jr. but you can't let a guy with no vowels in his name get a 20+ yard catch with 30 seconds left.

In The Wire there's a moment where the Mayor who ends up losing to Carcetti needs the support of Odell, and he pleads out "Odell!" as Odell wheels away.  Anyhow, every time Beckham shows up on the tele (which is frequently these days), my buddy does a great "Odell!" impression.

Yes, this is interesting for us Hokie fans.  He seems to be one of the hot up and coming coaches, though I think I was hoping we'd snag Tom Herman because he seems more of an ace recruiter - the one knock against Fuente seems to be that he's not super engaged on the recruiting front.  But we'll see.  The other big news is that apparently Bud Foster has agreed to remain on as the DC (and presumably most, or all of his staff).  That would be great.  And strangely, rumor has it that Shane Beamer will be retained - this is perhaps not so great.  But, we'll see.

I'm still digesting the news - and note that it's still not official - after traveling the Charlottesville to see us bear poor UVa for the 12th year in a row.  Now there's a team I'm rooting for to keep their current coach...

In one of those interesting coincidences, Beamer coached Murray State looooong ago and Fuente was the quarterback there when I went to school there. 

In one of those interesting coincidences, Beamer coached Murray State looooong ago and Fuente was the quarterback there when I went to school there. 

Yeah, that's been brought up a bunch...and the fact that in demeanor he seems similar to Beamer.  I was sort of hoping for a high energy Dabo Swinney kind of guy, but all sources seem to indicate this is a very good hire.  I guess we'll know in a few years...

Yeah, that's been brought up a bunch...and the fact that in demeanor he seems similar to Beamer.  I was sort of hoping for a high energy Dabo Swinney kind of guy, but all sources seem to indicate this is a very good hire.  I guess we'll know in a few years...

If I were a Va Tech fan I would be thrilled with this hire. Fuente won big and quickly at Memphis, a place with zero football tradition, abysmal facilities and (historically) minimal to nonexistent fan support.

He may not recruit many 4 and 5 star guys, but he seems to get the most out of his players and has a good eye for talent. He was the only coach in the country to offer Paxton Lynch, who will likely be the first QB taken in the draft this year.  

ETA: In other coaching news, Richt is out at UGA. Kirby Smart is their top choice to replace him, which is unsurprising given he's a UGA alum and is a defensive guy.

MSU fan, am feeling confident going into the Iowa matchup. The stakes are double high cause it's not only for the Big Ten championship but also for a likely berth in the championship playoff. Iowa is 11-0 or 12-0 we dont care right now, this team is like hounds on a blood scent right now.

If I were a Va Tech fan I would be thrilled with this hire. Fuente won big and quickly at Memphis, a place with zero football tradition, abysmal facilities and (historically) minimal to nonexistent fan support.

Oh, everyone seems pretty happy with it - and I agree, his results at Memphis have been phenomenal.  On paper, this seems like a perfect marriage - an offense minded head coach, and keeping Bud Foster for defense.  My only concern right now is recruiting.  Foster has not been a big recruiter...probably one of the reasons he hasn't gotten a head coaching job...and if Fuente brings in a whole new offensive staff, that's a lot of High School relationships to re-establish in the mid-Atlantic area.  So, I'm very optimistic, but trying to keep a dash of realism as well...

Ugh. Usc hires clay Helton as head coach. Poor guy is the sacrificial lamb who will be canned once a new athletic director is installed.

I know you were shipping Les Miles, but once that went off the table who would you have gone for instead?

On Clay Helton: We bought a Zook seems like a very appropriate thing right now for some reason

Won't somebody help me? My team is a mess!
Coach JoePa's no more, and my woes are no less.
My team has no rudder, recruiting's the pits --
I need a new coach for my woebegone Nits.

Need a new coach? I know just where to look!
Go down to the coach store and pick up a Zook.

A Zook? What's a Zook? Young man, stop being silly.
I don't have the time to be goofy or frilly,
To engage in tomfoolery, gawking or games.
I need a top coach, not a list of fake names.

A Zook is a coach! You don't need to fret!
It's the coachiest coach that an AD can get.
He'll win here and there, he'll lose more than a few,
And after three years you can get someone new.

Personally, I'm not a fan of New Years Eve festivities and I think it is the most overrated of all holidays.  I'll gladly accept an invitation to stay at home and watch football vs. going out and dealing with over-dressed drunkards at over-priced venues celebrating the inevitable march of time.  

But I'm also a little biased as a slightly more than a casual viewer of college football.

I know you were shipping Les Miles, but once that went off the table who would you have gone for instead?

That's the problem innit? Jim tressel isn't happening, Kelly probably has a year left to completely crash and burn in even more spectacular fashion, there's not a lot of good pickings out there. Bo pelini? Mark richt? those are probably the best coaches available, now that Georgia decided it wants to be like nebraska. The Michigan state guy maybe.

Helton is fine, but I think he'll only be a permanent interim coach considering we will be getting a new athletic director soon.

Ultimately, usc needs someone capable of beating both Oregon and stanford, winning the rivalry games is good but we need to clean up conference performance first and foremost.

The USC hire kind of reminds me of WVU when Rich Rod left for Michigan and they kept on Bill Stewart as coach since the players pushed for him. Helton will be toast once USC can find a big name coach, but none were going to be available. The five year deal is rather strange, almost seems like a designed way to buy him out of the rest of his deal when they see a big name come free.

The USC hire kind of reminds me of WVU when Rich Rod left for Michigan and they kept on Bill Stewart as coach since the players pushed for him. Helton will be toast once USC can find a big name coach, but none were going to be available. The five year deal is rather strange, almost seems like a designed way to buy him out of the rest of his deal when they see a big name come free.

I think that's exactly what happened. After next season they should be in good shape to get a Chip Kelly or similar name. My friends and I weren't surprised at all by the move.

Yea and WVU only recently recovered from that Pat White endorsement after the Fiesta Bowl.  Stewart was a very nice man, but a mediocre coach and was not good at landing recruiting classes.  I was reading an article on a WVU site recently about some of our recruiting classes during the Stewart era and there was one where only like 3 guys actually played a down for the Mountaineers.  The class rankings under Stew were consistent with what you'd expect at WVU and he did bring in some pretty stellar players but there were so many non-qualifiers and no-shows that it killed the depth.  There was no depth.  It's why I give Holgorsen a bit of a pass for some of the beatings WVU has taken in the Big 12 early on.  He was able to make the most of his players when he had Bailey, Austin, and Smith but three good players and no depth (or defense) is not going to cut it in the grind of a tough conference.  This is the first year under Holgorsen that we have had good depth and despite a rough October the depth has shown in this being the first Holgs WVU team to not collapse down the stretch.  If WVU beats KSU this weekend he'll end the regular season on a 5 game winning streak with a chance at a 9 win season and that is the best result since the year that WVU pounded Clemson in the Orange bowl.

Of course USC is in a better position to have that kind of hire where the guy is basically a temporary fix but with an opportunity to prove himself.  I never want to see that happen again at WVU though.  Legit coaching searches only and the players don't get any input.

On the other hand, Mizzou really should hire Odom, not a fabulous failure like Sonny Dykes. At the moment Mizzou is in the weird position of having the best coordinator in the country on staff but an athletic director recently burned on promoting a coordinator. Looking at the weak list of HEAD coaches Mizzou is interviewing makes me sick, all of them will be murdered in the SEC, Odom is probably the only one who can win and build on pinkles success, every other coach they're interviewing leads to the same destination: Kentucky style perennial SEC failure.

Archived