So fire does not harm an Other?

Also the White Walker wasn't exactly standing in the fire. I don't think that just having your surroundings on fire like in that scene would even kill a Wight. They need to literally be set on fire.

Also the White Walker wasn't exactly standing in the fire. I don't think that just having your surroundings on fire like in that scene would even kill a Wight. They need to literally be set on fire.

I think regular fire only takes out Wights, but I think dragon fire would do the trick do a dragon being magic.

The Others definitely influence the temperature. Remember in the books when all the wildlings are like "They come when it's cold, or it gets cold when the come". Regular fire could piss an Other off and kill a wight, dragonfire would probably kill an Other.

Yeah we've known this for a while:

Melisandre smiled. “Necromancy animates these wights, yet they are still only dead flesh. Steel and fire will serve for them. The ones you call the Others are something more.”

Most people seem to agree dragon fire would be a different story. Which makes me wonder about Wildfire, now that we know it's a "close cousin to dragonflame."

Yeah we've known this for a while:

Most people seem to agree dragon fire would be a different story. Which makes me wonder about Wildfire, now that we know it's a "close cousin to dragonflame."

Unless Cersei wastes all the reserves by blowing up King's Landing

Anyone notice that when Jon and that Thenn go into the hutt, the White Walker just walks in ignoring the fire around him? In fact it seemed to fade away when he walked. I thought the Others don't attack in daylight/warm conditions because they are vulnerable to it.

I always thought it was only the Wights that were killed by fire anyway, not the Others. I'm assuming it's DRAGON fire that will kill/harm the Others, not normal fire.

The effect is still stupid. Neither dragonglass nor dragonsteel/Valyrian steel should break the Others, it should have them melt as if they were afire.

Generally we should assume that the Others have means to counter whatever fire magic is capable of attacking/defeating them. Ice is frozen water, after all, and water can extinguish fire. During the Long Night the Others had a lot of success over a rather long period of time - presumably because their magic can be strong enough to alter the weather, seasons, and the climate of the whole world.

It is strongly implied that they bring the cold and the dark (not the other way around), and if that is the case then normal fire is most likely not even a nuisance to them if they strike - to counter them, some fire magic would be needed. It is on the rise again since the return of the dragons, but to make use of that a lot of people will have to do their studies first.

Dragonfire most likely will have a severe/strong impact on the Others - and possibly even their magic - but I don't think it will be enough on its own. If the Others were more or less powerless against dragonfire then whatever is going to be the final battle will be pretty boring if one of the dragons is still alive by that point.

I was a little surprised by that. I told my sister they'd be safe for a while in the hut, then had a "Never mind." moment. I know the wildlings and Night's Watch ring their camps with fires, but I guess that's more for wight defense and less for Others themselves.

Archived