So fire does not harm an Other?

Anyone notice that when Jon and that Thenn go into the hutt, the White Walker just walks in ignoring the fire around him? In fact it seemed to fade away when he walked. I thought the Others don't attack in daylight/warm conditions because they are vulnerable to it.

Only dragonglass can harm a walker (or Valyrian Steel)

Don't forget the magic of the red gods, assuming they are legit, they may be a viable counter to an other as well.

Maybe, but there's nothing but speculation to go on there. Certainly dragon fire would be viable counters to those ice demons seeing as dragon glass and steel forged by dragon flame works pretty well.

A friend of mine had a question that I wanted to pose here on the forum.

When Sam killed the wight with dragonglass, he says that it "burned up" for lack of a better word (at work and can't go back to watch and see). When Jon killed the WW, it shattered into thousands of shards of ice.

Does anyone think there is any significance to that difference? Dragonglass burns them and valyrian steel shatters them? Or is it just a coincidence of how the showrunners portrayed it?

Maybe, but there's nothing but speculation to go on there. Certainly dragon fire would be viable counters to those ice demons seeing as dragon glass and steel forged by dragon flame works pretty well.

We've already seen 2 seperate red priests perform magic. It's not pure speculation. So it is certainly possible, or rather, very probable.

We've already seen 2 seperate red priests perform magic. It's not pure speculation. So it is certainly possible, or rather, very probable.

it isnt but say what you will i suppose. I dont see the series coming down to Moqorro and Melisandre standing across from the Others on an open field rubbing their temples and humming but im crazy so

Fire has to come from the Earth (such as the fires of Valyria which were volcanic in origin, or the ones that cause silicon to vitrify into obsidian), possibly also magic fires can do but what obsidian and valysian steel have in common is that they are produces through hi-temp. earth-sourced heat.

A friend of mine had a question that I wanted to pose here on the forum.

When Sam killed the wight with dragonglass, he says that it "burned up" for lack of a better word (at work and can't go back to watch and see). When Jon killed the WW, it shattered into thousands of shards of ice.

Does anyone think there is any significance to that difference? Dragonglass burns them and valyrian steel shatters them? Or is it just a coincidence of how the showrunners portrayed it?

Sam's WW also shattered, it just took a bit longer. When Sam stabbed his WW, it has time to turn around and let out a scream as cracks spread across it's body, before it shattered. Jon's WW just breaks into a thousand pieces as soon as he hits it with Longclaw.

I think it's purely cinematic, although it could be suggesting that "dragonsteel" is a little more effective at killing WW's than "dragonglass". I don't think it really matters though.

I doubt dragonfire's effective against Others. That seems to be too easy a solution for something GRRM's been building up to for 5, probably 6, books. I think it's more likely that the dragons will be rendered useless during the coldest period in history. Wasn't there a dragon that couldn't get off ground during a regular storm?

What about wildfire? Maybe it wouldn't destroy a WW, but it would be an effective defense against wights. Also, if defeat was certain it would be better to immolate the living rather than have them become wights as well...

They produce magic yes. That magic's usefulness vs a WW is pure speculation. The ONLY things that aren't speculation are dragonglass and dragon steel. One would probably be safe to assume dragon fire is also super effective.

Why didn't they sent the fence on fire to give themselves time to fight off the wights? I know that the weather wasn't exactly on their side and there wasn't much time but still was surprised that the Wildlings haven't tried to use fire to their advantage. You would have thought that by now they would have built some ditches or barricades around Hardhome.

Obsidian kills the Others. So, you just need to get the supply chains up and running.

The usefulness of Valyrian Steel is that not only is it able to kill Others, but it is a superior blade against other weapons and armor. Obsidian is not a good material against standard weapons and armor making it less useful against wights.

Obsidian kills the Others. So, you just need to get the supply chains up and running.

The usefulness of Valyrian Steel is that not only is it able to kill Others, but it is a superior blade against other weapons and armor. Obsidian is not a good material against standard weapons and armor making it less useful against wights.

True but obsidian is easier to find and you can make arrow heads out of it.

Only wights are killed by fire.

However Dragonfire could yet kill a White Walker, especially since Valyrian Steel obviously can kill one.

According to this episode, swords are arrows will do the trick. :bang: D&D fucked up once again

According to this episode, swords are arrows will do the trick. :bang: D&D fucked up once again

You are misreading the quote. It said "only wights are killed by fire" not "wights are only killed by fire". Fire kills the undead minions, doesn't kill the white walkers. Similarly, obsidian kills the white walkers but has no effect on the undead wights.

Archived