Anyone else having trouble with the whights?

oopeed

This is a think that has been with me since last season.

The first time we saw a white walker back in GoT: Prologue and GoT: S01E01 they resembled pretty much if not identical, fleshy beings that seemed pretty much human except for the pale faces, the blue eyes and the swords made of ice. The image kept consistent for the next appearances in the show, and the hand that Alliser Thorne didn't reduce to bone until some time after he departed Castle Black.

Anyway... is anyone else bothered or puzzled by why suddenly wights turned into rambling skeletons that love zerg rushing? I mean, a skeleton can move by itself, it needs muscles to do the job, otherwise burning the bodies would have no point as a skeleton can still turn into a wight, as we've seen that wights don't wither until being truly dead.

I think they took too many inspiration on the horrible trend of zombie shows and ended up delivering something nonsensical and laughable as the fight in Jason and the Argonauts against the shambling skeletons.

The Other seemed quite cool imo, I'm willing to forgive the stupid nonsense of the brawl in Dorne because of this fight, so why not keep the already stablished image? Just to appeal to more people by joining the bandwagon of shows about zerg hordes of skeletons and pieces of flesh?

I suspect it's so the viewers know how to tell friend from foe in the big, distantly-shot battle scenes.

Yeah agree with this but I didn't love but didn't hate it either, they did have some that weren't just skeletons though. Also think it may be a way to tell the wight walkers from just the wights for the viewer too, though that shouldn't be that hard. Also, was it just me or did it seem like they were eating people? They aren't zombies.

I did love the episode and the Hardhome scene as a whole though. Very well done, it felt like an extremely well done horror movie at its best which was nice.

The wights in this episode are older and have been decaying longer. The recently raised corpses at the end were fresh.

The Wight Walkers have to be burned to be killed or have their heads crushed or something. Obliterated etc. The Others, Valyarian Steele - The original Lightbringer was forged from a blood sacrafice by Azor Ahai when he killed his wife, Nissa Nissa,the person/being he loved most in his world. I now suspect that Valyarian Steele, which the secret to forging is lost but blades can be re-forged. was done through blood sacrafices.

Dragon fire will certainly kill the Wights (living dead) but it is unknown if it will kill the Others (Night's King and his race of beings) but it would make sense if it did.

Right, the fresh ones who were killed at Hardhome were raised when Jon and Co were safely in their boats. Also, this esablishes that the Others and Wight Walkers cannot cross water. So, the Wall which stretches from East watch by the bay on the right coast of Westeros to the Shadown tower which is flanked by the water gorge keep the Others and White Walkers at bay unless, they are brought through, like in Season one by the living. The ward effect which is protecting Bloodrave, Bran and the children of the Forrest in the cave is probably through Bloodraven. None of the Others or Wight Walkers can pass without exploding. If the Night's watch which is 50 men or so at Castle Black and god knows at either Eastwatch or Shadow Tower ever get wiped out, then the warding effect at the wall will fail and I bet the Night's King and the Others (not the re-animated dead better known as Wight Walkers), they will know they can pass or simply collapse the wall and the real invasion begins.

Those things are neither scary nor impressive. Just cheesy references to old films who had no idea how to make better effects. They could have - but deliberately chose not to.

By the way, has anybody else also realized the fact that this stupid 'the Others are assembling their victims in those weird shapes' trope is suddenly gone. Did they eventually realize that this did neither have any meaning nor make any sense? After all, the purpose of killing humans is to make them wights, not hack them to pieces so that it would make no sense to revive them as zombies...

i'm just disturbed on how they're like the zombies from World War Z..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got the impression. Most of the battle felt like a World War Z riff. Shaky-cam and fast edits and sped up action with no real sense of geopgraphy. The Giant and segement with Snow and the Walker saved it.

I can't get picky on the whole dead walking and fighting and what have you. As long as they apply the "zombie rules" they make consistently it doesn't matter what "zombie rules" they apply.

Nope. Dead people are dead people, and I see no reason to think that skeletons are 'too dead' to be wights...especially when they are simply being used as puppets and not moving of their own accord anyway.

Those things are neither scary nor impressive. Just cheesy references to old films who had no idea how to make better effects. They could have - but deliberately chose not to.

By the way, has anybody else also realized the fact that this stupid 'the Others are assembling their victims in those weird shapes' trope is suddenly gone. Did they eventually realize that this did neither have any meaning nor make any sense? After all, the purpose of killing humans is to make them wights, not hack them to pieces so that it would make no sense to revive them as zombies...

How is it a trope? Do you know what a trope is?

We don't know what meaning it may have, and even if it has no meaning I thought it was pretty cool that they illustrate the WW's as more than just mindless death zombies, they are ritualistic and intelligent. They have no lack of dead things to resurrect.

Archived