The Night's King

Brandon Martell

Who says White Walkers are dead? Maybe they are just altered humans, like what they did to babies.

My theory is:

In the past, when Starks became old, they would go out "hunting" in the Winter.... But really they were going to join their ancestors, who are the "councilmen" of the Others. Do we know that there are only 12?

What if the tombs in Winterfell are empty, and this is what everyone meant when they called the old Starks the "Kings Of Winter"? Bran even remarked that their statues looked almost not human.

So, to summarize:

"Elite" Others (for lack of better word) = Old Starks

"Normal" Others = Babies who were turned.

Wights = Normal dead people.

That's what I think the NK was really doing with Jon. He wasn't taunting him, he was saying "Come join us, and embrace the power in you. It is your destiny.

Also, why do Starks get to essentially become immortal ice wizards while everyone else becomes meat shields? The answer: Warging. The Starks use their warging abilities to revive and control the dead, and in becoming Others, their warging ability increases tenfold.

Yes thankyou that is some really cool theory.

I mean all the power to the starks, they are the heroes plus the antagonists in the story like how complex is that.

I don't think Ned would have know anything about becoming a WW after death or DID HEEEEEE. Maybe they don't need to know after they die there is magic in the crypts that leads them to WW.

Yes that is soooooo true about why WW are able to control the dead because they are Wargs themselves so obviously they want Starks to join their ranks.

Hahaaaa I just had a humorous thought about the Boltons, Roose and Ramsay obsessed with controlling the north and wanting to rule winterfell imagine if they are ever confronted with the White Whalkers and they are pissed off because they took over WF and broke the pact with the starks how fast do you think the boltons will be running back to the dreadfort.

The CotF created the WWs, the only way their magic could prevent them from entering the cave and from passing the Wall is if they made them.

I thought Leaf meant the wights couldn't enter, not the White Walkers. Though, I suppose you don't set up shop North of the Wall without planning for the Others as well.

As for the Wall, regardless of whether it's magical or not, its physical properties alone seem enough to stop the Others. Unless they can manipulate ice enough to break through it.

But you don't have to create something in order to know how to fight it. If the two warred in the past the CotF could've simply just figured out what kind of spells ward of Others and their pawns.

It's a possibility, but definitely not the only one.

Anyone else think the white walkers almost look like they were once flayed?

That's cool - an ancient Stark revenge against the Boltons by using the power of winter, or something. Don't know if it will come to pass, but its a cool idea.

Certainly not George Martin: "The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful… think, oh… the Sidhe made of ice, something like that… a different sort of life… inhuman, elegant, dangerous."

Thanks for that, I think I read that quote before and that's where I got the definitive idea that Others/White Walkers are not re-animated corpses.

I don't know if it was foreboding or curiosity. The WW's obviously thought their undead minions would cut through the living with little-to-no resistance. But, when they met some resistance it was interesting to their leader, especially when he sees Jon cut down another White Walker. I kinda got the impression that the NK saw that and was like "hmm, whats this all about...this might be an actual threat". Then at the end the NK stares down Jon directly and raises more undead minions in a show of force. I'm not sure if that show of force was a "gtfo here and don't come back" or if it was a "bitch, were coming" look. Either way, the point was taken.

Yes. After the scene where Jon kills the WW, my thoughts are that the NK is "Oh shit this one could be a problem". The stare down at the end is great, and I think the last bit is...."Oh but look what I can do". D&D playing Westeros measuring sticks ;).

Who says White Walkers are dead? Maybe they are just altered humans, like what they did to babies.

My theory is:

In the past, when Starks became old, they would go out "hunting" in the Winter.... But really they were going to join their ancestors, who are the "councilmen" of the Others. Do we know that there are only 12?

What if the tombs in Winterfell are empty, and this is what everyone meant when they called the old Starks the "Kings Of Winter"? Bran even remarked that their statues looked almost not human.

So, to summarize:

"Elite" Others (for lack of better word) = Old Starks

"Normal" Others = Babies who were turned.

Wights = Normal dead people.

That's what I think the NK was really doing with Jon. He wasn't taunting him, he was saying "Come join us, and embrace the power in you. It is your destiny.

Also, why do Starks get to essentially become immortal ice wizards while everyone else becomes meat shields? The answer: Warging. The Starks use their warging abilities to revive and control the dead, and in becoming Others, their warging ability increases tenfold.

Awesome theory, especially the bolded part.

Building upon your theory: Old Nan told Bran that the legendary Night's King was a Stark. She even hinted that his name was Brandon.

For what we know, the White Walkers can resurrect dead humans, animals etc. as wights. But when we were introduced to the Night's King, he seemed even capable of turning living babies into what ? Wights or straight White Walkers ?

Another question that crosses my mind : Every White Walker can turn the dead into wights or only the NK ? He certainly seems to be more powerful than the others, and i think he's the only one who can turn the living, hence the reason they were taking the babies to him and not turning the babies by themselves instantly.

Also can the White Walkers be of different classes ? Maybe some are half-humans with conscience, some are just full on WW. Maybe that's the reason why the Nights King is so powerful ? He's a hybrid ?

For what we know, the White Walkers can resurrect dead humans, animals etc. as wights. But when we were introduced to the Knight's King, he seemed even capable of turning living babies into what ? Wights or straight White Walkers ?

Straight White Walkers I think. Especially with the "the brothers are coming for him" line in the books regarding the white walkers coming for Gilly's baby.

Another question that crosses my mind : Every White Walker can turn the dead into wights or only the NK ? He certainly seems to be more powerful than the others, and i think he's the only one who can turn the living, hence the reason they were taking the babies to him and not turning the babies by themselves instantly.

I always got the impression that any corpse near the White Walkers slowly turns into wights. Night's King can just turn them quick I think.

Also can the White Walkers be of different classes ? Maybe some are half-humans with conscience, some are just full on WW. Maybe that's the reason why the Nights King is so powerful ? He's a hybrid ?

It would seem that the thirteen seen during the Night's King's introduction scene are the higher ups within the White Walker faction. I think D&D even said that the Walker Jon killed was one of the Night's King's lieutenants. The lower ranking ones are probably the partially armored ones we saw earlier, like the one that took Craster's baby up north. This might only be the case in the show though, since all Others are armored in the books.

For what we know, the White Walkers can resurrect dead humans, animals etc. as wights. But when we were introduced to the Knight's King, he seemed even capable of turning living babies into what ? Wights or straight White Walkers ?

Those are some fascinating questions.

You know when Jon was fighting that WW, and he grabbed Jon I was like Oh shit Jon is going to become a zombie but thank god that didn't happen. I think that would be really cool if NK can turn the living into a WW imagine that will be the ultimate battle with him, but I have a feeling he can only do that to babies not grown adults. Turning babies can make them a WW directly because they can raised them as such, imagine if they show as young boy WW on the show who are Craster sons that would be wicked. I think all WW can turn the dead into wights, but NK is special he can turn large groups of the dead at once with a single wave because he is more powerful why that is could be he is channeling his power from the great other or he is a hybrid or something about him is special.

There seems to be different levels of WW. Obviously WW existed before the NK, if he was the 13 lord commander there were others before him and hey are a race of their own. But 13 LC became a WW through some powerful magic which doesn't rule out the fact that a grown adult can join their ranks, which could be one of the many reasons why the NK is interested in Jon he is sensing some powerful magic in Jon. The original WW might have been a race of their own with their own language and their own way of life but we have to see Lands of Always Winter to see like is there castles up there with kids and women roaming around, BIG MYSTERY. It seems to me they are like the darker version of elves, they are not evil, but they are not good either, they have dominion over winter and they control the dead and they are immortal. The WW race could have existed since the start of time and I think they exist in this story for a purpose like they are not meant to be killed off at the end of the story. Whatever reason they are attacking now will be resolved maybe a great sacrifice has to be made maybe Jon has to Join them I don't know but it would be more complex story than for dragons to come and to roast them all alive it is too cliche.

Archived