[Book Spoilers] R+L=J, A+J=T and other theories on HBO V.3

Suzanna Stormborn

I do wonder about that final scene. I've always been intrigued by the passage from the books where Ygritte backs away when she first learns Jon Snow's name and tells him that name is "evil" and cursed. I believe someone else in the books doesn't like his name either when they learn it. Given the knowledge that the Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, brother to the King in the North and stuck in his shadow, and likely a Stark and his name was stripped and erased from the records without explanation...you can see the similarities start to pile up.

Not to mention I find it incredibly interesting that the episode they decide to refer to the current Lord Commander of the Night's Watch as King Crow for the first time, is also the episode they confirm that former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is in fact the the Night's King.

So what was that final scene foreshadowing? A one on one showdown between the two one day like many suspect? Or the Night's King finding his heir?

I think 'King Crow' is a reference to Jon becoming a leader/figurehead to both the Wildlings and the Night's Watch in the Long Night. It is a good name for someone who unites the Wildlings and Night's Watch. I hope 'King Crow' becomes his name like 'the young wolf' was for Robb. It probably won't though but it is pretty cool.

NO chance of getting Rhaegal or Viserion back to Westeros without riders. No chance at all.

Maybe Rhaegal and Viserion never make it to Westeros? I know the original 1993 letter isn't all too relevant, but in that one there was only Dany's dragon. So despite Jon's parentage, GRRM didn't intend for him to initially ride a dragon it seems. Unless he was gonna have some other dragon pop up somewhere.

But I personally love the idea of 3 dragon riders roaming the skies, and with how much emphasis GRRM has put on blood of the dragon, it just may be the case that we get 3 riders.

Perhaps in the sense that every noble person in Westeros is a Targ.

Agreed.

Given Martin's own fascination with the Targs, emphasizing their proliferation, the unique nature of their blood is no longer unique, and there is a secret Targ. under every shrub.

There aren't enough dragons to carry them all.

Then again, he did say NOT every Dragon rider need be a Targ.

Dont you guys think that the Night's King was singling Jon out because he can sense that Jon is a dragonlord?

Oh absolutely!

(Terrible way to find out who his dad really was).

But, I think he singles him out because of who his mother was. He is a Stark, and "Family."

The first NK, (maybe the same king), was NW and rumored to also be a Stark.

And it was a Stark who helped defeat him.

I was only half kidding when I said the NK and Ned had the same tailor.

Brandon Starks brother supposedly took this female Other to wife.

And it's also been suggested that it was king Brandon himself, but was covered up in Stark history, which being called the Kings of Winter becomes a greater irony.

Now, what happened to the female Others?

^^^ That's interesting.

So there must not be any female Others, otherwise they wouldnt need Craster's children right?

What is their ultimate plan? my husband (show only watcher) was asking me that during the last episode. They want to blanket the world in snow, turn 99% of the population into zombies, then what? Pick a select few to turn blue and build giant ice castles everywhere like Jadis in Narnia?

^^^ That's interesting.

So there must not be any female Others, otherwise they wouldnt need Craster's children right?

What is their ultimate plan? my husband (show only watcher) was asking me that during the last episode. They want to blanket the world in snow, turn 99% of the population into zombies, then what? Pick a select few to turn blue and build giant ice castles everywhere like Jadis in Narnia?

Maybe it's simply about existence and creating an environment in which they can survive and not be alone?

Then again, he did say NOT every Dragon rider need be a Targ.

Did he? I mean yes this is true there were historically plenty of dragonriders who were Valyrian but not Targaryen. But I think the SSM you're thinking of is:

"Three heads of the dragon... yes... but the third will not nessesarily BE a Targaryen..."

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1261/

Which could just mean in the sense that Tyrion is not Tyrion Targaryen, even if Aerys is his father.

Well all the Lannisters and Starks are not. Just a few Baratheons really, the Martells BOTD is clearly too diluted to matter. Then I mean there are all the Blackfyres, but those are Blackfyres, not Targs really since they were exiled and officially kicked out of the family.

Anyway happy weekend everyone!!!!! This will be the best Sunday night ever, thank you HBO, this is the reason I have been watching for 5 seasons!!!!!!

Sadly, I don't think it will be. The poster you are responding to already made incorrect claims about hair color on the first page. When they were soundly debunked, he tucked tail and ran, only to start it up again when the earlier exchange would be buried. I've dealt with many like that before, and it's like pulling weeds out of a garden.

If this is going to be a resurrected anti-R+L=J argument, though, those links will be handy so thanks for looking them up!

I do wonder about that final scene. I've always been intrigued by the passage from the books where Ygritte backs away when she first learns Jon Snow's name and tells him that name is "evil" and cursed. I believe someone else in the books doesn't like his name either when they learn it. Given the knowledge that the Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, brother to the King in the North and stuck in his shadow, and likely a Stark and his name was stripped and erased from the records without explanation...you can see the similarities start to pile up.

Not to mention I find it incredibly interesting that the episode they decide to refer to the current Lord Commander of the Night's Watch as King Crow for the first time, is also the episode they confirm that former Lord Commander of the Night's Watch is in fact the the Night's King.

So what was that final scene foreshadowing? A one on one showdown between the two one day like many suspect? Or the Night's King finding his heir?

It would be funny if they were both Jon Snow. "i was once the bastard of winterfell too!!!"

But Stannis how could you?!?!?! Show fans are going to hate him now!

After that scene I thought they should have put it at the end of the episode because I wasn't in the mood to watch anymore after that. But then oddly seeing more people being burnt to death cheered me right up!

Archived