[Book Spoilers] R+L=J, A+J=T and other theories on HBO V.3

Suzanna Stormborn

27 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

i heard that Kit harington makes $300,000 per episode each episode he is dead is an episode he makes $300,000 for taking a convincing nap...

He's going to win an Oscar or Emmy award just for taking a nap as well.

5 minutes ago, Stangler said:

I think the old 3 eyed raven will have a major part in resurrecting him but die in the process. It will happen in front of the weirwood. 

i could see this. Everyone seem to think mel can bring him back so easy looking at the show-only people i know. i really want her to try and fail. Seeing Blood raven do it even with her help giving up his life after telling bran what to do would be great...

also do you think Mel or bloodraven talk about the prophecy soon? Maybe everyone on the show or books knows it like one of old nan's  bedtime stories?

On 4/26/2016 at 2:03 PM, UnmaskedLurker said:

So if ToJ is Ep 3 -- I think we can also guess that Ep 3 will also include the resurrection of Christ, I mean Jon (Easter Sunday comes late on HBO).

So re-watching Ep.10 of season 5 and Ep. 1 of Season 6.  Mel says; 'I have seen the Bolton Banners burning'.  And 'I have seen myself walk the Winterfell Battlements', and 'I saw him fighting at Winterfell' meaning Jon.  So as of yet, everything she has forseen could still be true. She hasn't really been wrong yet, she just misinterpreted Stannis as the Lord of Light instead of her vessel to the Lord of Light. So I mean Jon is definitely coming back to life.

edit:  I guess we should stop saying 'coming back to life', we should say 'come back from the dead'.  DB & D seem to be hiding behind semantics to continue with their international hoax.  They are all very stuck on saying 'Jon is dead, like all the way dead.' However, they are not continually saying '...And he's gonna STAY dead.'  They are just pushing the fact that he did die, so later they can be like 'Oh Ha Ha Ha, we never said he couldn't come back from the dead. Fooled you suckas.'

I'm glad they didn't drag it out. That was a really entertaining episode. Seemed like not a moment was wasted. 

ETA: Oh man that preview for next week.

"now it begins."

2 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Tyrion just broke the internet. COuld anyone but a dragonlord have done that? I ask you?

No, of course not. They could not.

The real question though is how the hell Joanna came by a Dragon-X gene to pass on to him, since obviously his Y is from Aerys.

12 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

No, of course not. They could not.

The real question though is how the hell Joanna came by a Dragon-X gene to pass on to him, since obviously his Y is from Aerys.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the dragons will be fond of anyone who shares blood with Dany. That would be Tyrion and Jon.

So......Bran WILL leave the cave, that was interesting.  I had always assumed he will be there forever and Meera would die.

Euron did for sure kill Balon, a nice little confirmation.

Was Willis with Ned at the ToJ? Did Arthur Dayne turn Hodor into Hodor? Maybe a bid hit on the temple or something?

4 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Tyrion just broke the internet. COuld anyone but a dragonlord have done that? I ask you?

The scene that preceded the dragon scene had Missandei confirming that the dragons had never attacked her, and Tyrion explaining that dragons will not attack their friends. Tyrion succeeded in selling himself as the dragons' friend, which puts him on par with Missandei, who is most assuredly not a secret Targaryen. The scene also made clear that dragons are very intelligent; once the dragons sussed out that Tyrion was going to free them, his safety was assured.

I'm not convinced. We'll see if Varys finds anything unusual in Tyrion's ability to befriend the dragons. If not, I think we can chalk it up to Tyrion's knowledge of dragons as opposed to a special bloodline.

In the books, being liked by the dragons is a hint towards dragon blood, but the show has never said anything to that effect. In fact, this episode said the opposite, as TV Tyrion suggested that dragons will be nice to their "friends," whether Targs or not. I guess the show could make the ability to communicate with dragons a Targ-only thing, since Missandei has never attempted that kind of communication, but there's nothing to date to support that.

3 minutes ago, Newstar said:

The scene that preceded the dragon scene had Missandei confirming that the dragons had never attacked her, and Tyrion explaining that dragons will not attack their friends. Tyrion succeeded in selling himself as the dragons' friend, which puts him on par with Missandei, who is most assuredly not a secret Targaryen. The scene also made clear that dragons are very intelligent; once the dragons sussed out that Tyrion was going to free them, his safety was assured.

I'm not convinced. We'll see if Varys finds anything unusual in Tyrion's ability to befriend the dragons. If not, I think we can chalk it up to Tyrion's knowledge of dragons as opposed to a special bloodline.

In the books, being liked by the dragons is a hint towards dragon blood, but the show has never said anything to that effect. In fact, this episode said the opposite, as TV Tyrion suggested that dragons will be nice to their "friends," whether Targs or not. I guess the show could make the ability to communicate with dragons a Targ-only thing, since Missandei has never attempted that kind of communication, but there's nothing to date to support that.

I agree the dragons let people near them who are not valyrian dragonlords. however they do not submit to anyone thus far besides Dany, especially not someone they just met like that without Dany present. Tyrion shut Rhaegel down when he walked in, with a simple hand gesture. Rhaegal was in full attack mode, napalm ready and he just slammed on the brakes when Tyrion lifted his hands. That was some blood power of old valyria working it's magic. In fact he seemed to have better control than Dany did over Drogon.  I mean what else could be the literary point of an affair between Aerys and Joanna if this is not it?

The dragons in the books and the show have never walked up to someone and nicely hinted that "could you please help me sir?" like those 2 just did, that was serious submission and respect out of absolutely nowhere.

5 minutes ago, Newstar said:

I agree 100 percent. My impression was D&D needed someone to free to the Dragons and decided to use Tyrion. So the use of Tyrion was a plot device to  move the story along, not a way to reveal some kind of secret.

12 minutes ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

I agree the dragons let people near them who are not valyrian dragonlords. however they do not submit to anyone thus far besides Dany, especially not someone they just met like that without Dany present. Tyrion shut Rhaegel down when he walked in, with a simple hand gesture. Rhaegal was in full attack mode, napalm ready and he just slammed on the brakes when Tyrion lifted his hands. That was some blood power of old valyria working it's magic. In fact he seemed to have better control than Dany did over Drogon.  I mean what else could be the literary point of an affair between Aerys and Joanna if this is not it?

The dragons in the books and the show have never walked up to someone and nicely hinted that "could you please help me sir?" like those 2 just did, that was serious submission and respect out of absolutely nowhere.

A few things here:

1. There is nothing in the show about Aerys and Joanna having an affair. There's nothing in ASOIAF itself, either, only TWOIAF.

2. I was watching the dragons' body language, and they didn't go immediately from snappish and aggressive to submissive. They seemed to calm down as Tyrion spoke to them. The dragons did respond to the raising of hands that Tyrion did, but that in of itself is a classic submission gesture (hands up in surrender) which along with his soothing voice may have calmed the dragons rather than some blood magic.

...With that said, I did notice the dragons calming down after they got a few whiffs of Tyrion, which could possibly point to sniffing out Targ blood.

3. What was emphasized in this episode was that dragons are extremely intelligent. He wasn't "controlling" them; THEY were using HIM to get what they wanted. The only submission involved was his.

4. I think Varys' reaction in the next episode, or lack of reaction, will be telling. If he completely flips out at Tyrion's feat, since no non-Targaryen should be able to do that, that will be telling, but if he takes it in stride as no big deal, then that will be telling as well.

3 hours ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

Tyrion shut Rhaegel down when he walked in, with a simple hand gesture. Rhaegal was in full attack mode, napalm ready and he just slammed on the brakes when Tyrion lifted his hands. That was some blood power of old valyria working it's magic. In fact he seemed to have better control than Dany did over Drogon.  I mean what else could be the literary point of an affair between Aerys and Joanna if this is not it?

I absolutely agree.

There does seem to be something very odd with the way that Tyrion managed to calm the dragons. They do not seem to merely tolerate his presence, they seem to accept him.

Missandei is not a secret Targaryen, but she spends a lot of time in the company of a Targaryen, perhaps the dragons are accustomed to her presence and she is familiar to them because she is close to Dany. Besides Missandei has been with Dany and the dragons since season 3.

Tyrion is a stranger though.

He interacted with Dany briefly and certainly has spent less time with the dragons than Missandei.

The dragons reaction to Tyrion is possibly a hint that he will ride one of them.

Unless I am wrong there hasn't been any mention of Aerys' feelings towards Joanna so far in the tv adaptation.

I wonder if in this season will there be a reference, perhaps Varys might know something?

Archived