Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

interesting the show seems to take a negative view of The Silk Road

one problem is the characters all speak of the 5/9 attack as a big deal, but the viewer doesn't see it (one scene with a woman who lost her history of mortgage payments, that's it)

interesting the show seems to take a negative view of The Silk Road

one problem is the characters all speak of the 5/9 attack as a big deal, but the viewer doesn't see it (one scene with a woman who lost her history of mortgage payments, that's it)

I don't think the show's view of Silk Road is necessarily negative, because it isn't clear that what is being depicted is the actual Silk Road. They probably shouldn't have used the Dread Pirate Roberts name though, as it was a bit confusing. The dates don't match up. The show is currently in the summer of 2015, as shown by the gay marriage news on tv in the show. Ulbricht was arrested in 2013. Also, Ulbricht had limitations on what was sold. The site in the show seems to be even worse than the Silk Road copy cats. (I've never read about slaves being sold, but my knowledge is limited to media accounts. Certainly identities have been sold, but the original Silk Road didn't allow this. Kills for hire on the spin offs maybe, I"m not sure. But the original Silk Road didn't have this.)

So, the show clearly thinks online slave sales and hit jobs is evil. Not a very big stretch, as most people see that as evil, liberals and liberatarians alike.

Now this show is clearly an alternate reality, because of the existence of this enormous bank, E Corp. But most things seem to match our reality, including the current President and some other political figures.

Agreed, I'd like to see more fallout from the hack depicted. 

The show has a very dim view on hackers, period. It's not like it should be surprising that they also look at things like their version of Silk Road as a bad thing, either. 

That said, it's clearly not silk road nor is it meant to be. It's something a lot worse and a lot more low-profile.

As to showing the aftereffects - we have people being executed, we see regularly people wearing masks in broad daylight going to do things, everyone has to pay upfront in cash for items. The world continues on, but it's clearly failing. Think about in 2008 with the great recession - did you actually see rioting and looting? Did you see banks being overthrown? Horrible calamities don't result in the Walking Dead.

As to showing the aftereffects - we have people being executed, we see regularly people wearing masks in broad daylight going to do things, everyone has to pay upfront in cash for items. The world continues on, but it's clearly failing. Think about in 2008 with the great recession - did you actually see rioting and looting? Did you see banks being overthrown? Horrible calamities don't result in the Walking Dead.

Yeah, I don't think the show has done a bad job at showing the effects. I just want to see a little more of it. What they've shown has been nice. They could perhaps get inspiration from the Greek crisis, the great recession, or even the Depression. Lines of desparate people at job fairs for example is one image I saw more than once in the media during the great recession.

But yeah, America hasn't had big riots in decades. Not that you couldn't have them in a fictional timeline. 

The show is very focused on what is happening with the characters it wants to focus on to tell it's story, however. Social alienation is also one of it's themes. So I kind of understand why we aren't seeing more. I'd enjoy more of these details though.

I love this show, but there's no getting round it; they're stalling. All this talk of Season 1 being 'prologue' had me hyped, but nothing substantial has happened. Everything so far has been about the progress of catching fsociety, when we could have jumped ahead and missed all this and had it explained in one episode. Why do we care about Hot Tub's website? Sure, the shooting was unexpected and exciting, but ultimately it's just part of the ongoing investigation. Maybe it's just me, but I never really thought the story was 'will our characters get away with it?', but the implications, the repercussions, I thought they were leading to something bigger. Can someone explain exactly what the mystery is with these missing days? It would seem that Tyrell and Elliot triggered the hack, just as Elliot (Mr Robot) had been working towards. What revelations are there to be had from finding out?

It's still a very well crafted show, but had I not read the 'prologue' comments, I would assume it was a one season plan which they're now unsure what to do with. 

On 8/5/2016 at 8:24 AM, Corvinus said:

Personally I don't care for how they frame the shots when a dialogue occurs, and they only show one person's head somewhere in the bottom of the shot, and the background is slightly unfocused. It seems to me that it's just trying to be artsy, and not have any real meaning.

Really? Huh. The framing and cinematography is one of the things that I dig most about the aesthetic of the show. I believe Sam Esmail is writing and directing every episode this season so maybe that's why it's seeming annoying to you as the directing style isn't changing even in the slightest among episodes. For some reason though I do not dig his framing of Angela. Maybe it's because she's Ecorp Angela this season, and she annoys me in general most episodes, though.

On 8/5/2016 at 11:14 AM, dbunting said:

Is she really there?

On 8/5/2016 at 11:19 AM, red snow said:

it's almost so obvious she's not that I suspect there's more to it.

Yeah, I'll be disappointed if we don't get some more info on Elliot & Darla's mom by the end of this season. If she's not like Mr. Robot, then she must be a heavy sleeper because Elliot was making some noise when they took him from his bedroom in the last episode.

8 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yeah, I'll be disappointed if we don't get some more info on Elliot & Darla's mom by the end of this season. If she's not like Mr. Robot, then she must be a heavy sleeper because Elliot was making some noise when they took him from his bedroom in the last episode.

I am convinced the mom isn't really there at all, my wife disagrees though, insisting she has to be.  I really doubt she would sit there and listen to all those bizarre conversations and never say or ask anything though.

My wife was sure from the get go of that last scene that it's just Elliot being paranoid and they aren't really beating him up, but it's pretty ambiguous, I can see it going either way.

I'm struggling to care whether or not she's real to be honest. Darlene asked where she was so either she exists and wasn't there at the time, or Darlene's own speech is filtered through Elliot's psychosis before we hear it, and then we may as well all give up discussing anything about the show. It'd feel like a pointless rehash of last season so I lean on the side of her just being real and there's nothing more to it.

16 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I love this show, but there's no getting round it; they're stalling. All this talk of Season 1 being 'prologue' had me hyped, but nothing substantial has happened.. 

Agreed I have lost interest so fucking fast but I'm still sticking in. I think the characters were actually relatable in season 1 whereas now they aren't at all. Tyrell was also to me the one of the most interesting parts of season 1 so the way they've handled him this season has been a bummer. 

I could not stand that opening, was so happy when it was over. Elliott's arc, unfortunately, is the least interesting aspect of this season. I'm over the mindfuck. It added a lot to last season, but now it seems Esmail is just trying to top it this season and it's hurting the pace of this season.

I enjoyed Angela's scenes at E Corp, although I preferred her arc more not knowing what her angle was taking the position with E Corp.

Dom seems to be the only person who seems to know wtf is going on. Anxious to see more of her interaction with Angela next week.

I think I might tune in next week just to see if Angela tells Dom that she's not on a phone call, just talking to herself.

Other than that, this episode was particularly stupid.  Has this show been renewed for next season?  If not, I don't see how it can now.  This seems like a show that's done and over with.  Nothing interesting has really happened this season. 

I liked the episode, the wtfery at the beginning reminded me of the episode "Daemons" in season 1, where half of it was just random shit. I would like Elliot to get back with some of the other characters soon, though, because right now his plotline is completely out of the action. Gideon getting hit by the car was really funny because of the sheer absurdity, the same goes for the entire sequence.

Yeah I'm still enjoying it a lot, thoroughly enjoyed the twisted sitcom sequence. The pacing is a problem though and I hope they find a way to move past the whole battle for control between Elliot and his dad so they can move on with the plot. I like that they're treating Elliot's problem seriously but it has gone on too long and the plot is suffering.

On 8/5/2016 at 2:24 PM, Corvinus said:

Personally I don't care for how they frame the shots when a dialogue occurs, and they only show one person's head somewhere in the bottom of the shot, and the background is slightly unfocused. It seems to me that it's just trying to be artsy, and not have any real meaning.

It's possible that they're just being artsy for the sake of being artsy, but there are certain patterns that suggest otherwise.

For example, it seems mostly Elliot and Angela who get the weird headspace framing. I might do a rewatch to have a closer analysis without trying to follow the plot as well but I recently noticed most medium shots and closer of Angela in dialogue have the headspace behind and above her head. Elliot's medium shots and closer in dialogue are often similar. They are jarring shots and entirely against what is taught yet the fact that certain characters are often framed in particular ways suggests there is a clear thought process going on in the framing choices.

At first I thought it might be a case of rebelling against the accepted framing rules to reflect the story being about characters who are rebelling against accepted societal rules. I kinda hope there's more to it than that but a case can at least be made there.

S2E6

This episode was so fucking good it made me want to eat a cat, Melmak style. Seriously though, this was probably my favorite episode this season so far. Dark Army fucking up Darla's not-fiancee, White Lotus continuing to fuck over E Corp, all the Angela stuff was great, and of course Elliot's coping mechanism. Oh, and that ending. So much feelz.

Good ep, but I think it was a step down from last week. Last week was probably my favorite of the season, however.

Loved the sitcomer opener and the cameo. The Angela and Fsociety part of the show was pretty satisfying as well. 

Kinda frustrated with the Elliot portion of the show. I'm definitely interested in his situation, but I really wish it would move forward faster. 

Also starting to get frustrated with the lack of Tyrell. It took a lot of guts to open without telling us what happened. But it's getting to be a hard wait. It'll be a real loss to the show if he's dead. On the plus side, it's great that they have a mystery I'm so deeply interested in. He could be dead, or he could be one of the major players of the game of thrones they have going on. Why did he do what he did, if he did it? It's a definite disadvantage to be the world's most wanted man, unless you think you can leverage the fame somehow. It's very convenient for Elliot/Mr. Robot though that he takes most of the blame.

Saw in the promo that Price is back next episode. So good chance of a great one next week.

Archived