Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

Have to say it but this show seems to be going the same way Hannibal did but much faster. I know I am in the minority here but hear me out.

Hannibal, loved the first and most of second season. Great visuals, good acting, good story line. Started getting recognition for the trippy visuals and such and the last season I watched was just one long acid trip, and then canceled. It seemed like they heard the reviews and that people liked the visuals and said, hey if some cowbell is good, then more cowbell must be better!

So, Mr. Robot, season 1 has this Fight Club feel, you're not quite sure if it's in his head, but you think it is. Loved season one. Season two comes around and it feels to me like 75% of this season has been built around keeping us guessing what is real instead of advancing a plot.

Now, that said, I am not in anyway saying I don't like the show, just worried about where it's heading and can it get out of the way of itself.

30 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Have to say it but this show seems to be going the same way Hannibal did but much faster. I know I am in the minority here but hear me out.

I don't think you're in a minority here unless you mean wrt Hannibal? I'm with you on that as well - while there were some great moments in season 3 it was like they were on a mission to be cancelled with their first 4 episodes. I'm pleased it ended when it did as it was certainly disappearing up its own backside. I wonder if it could be something Fuller suffers from if his shows ever get past two seasons? I think it's wise to have other producers working with him on the new Trek show anyway.

25 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Finally caught up on this. I've enjoyed it, but I really hope it's not building towards it all being a dream or a trip from getting high & watching back to the future 2. Because it wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah - it'll probablt be JR getting out the shower and it wouldn't see so crazy.

A friend of mine had a weird theory that it is all a hallucination of Mr Robot who had a breakdown when he killed his son after pushing him out of a window. The guilt drove him insane and made him forge a hallucination of his son.

It's almost plausible but for that to work all of his interactions would have to have been manipulated. Eg his sister/daughter wouldn't call him Elliot so he'd have to mishear that (weirdly it would make the kiss still be icky). Elliot's interactions with Elliot would also have to be a cheat but again the two of them becoming close after one has lost a parent and the other a child could be plausible. It might also explain her "older man" infatuation! I'd hope it isn't mainly due to the fact if we can't even trust what we hear then the show loses all grip on reality.

On 9/16/2016 at 0:04 AM, SpaceChampion said:

I wondered if Mr. Robot was deliberately created in Eliot by Whiterose some years ago, and has now implanted a new personality in Angela.

Mind.Blown. That would be some twist. Some of what White Rose said to Angela about her and Elliot being "created" by the cancer caused by her factory fits in witht hat. I originally just took it as ego a narcissisim at play in WR, but maybe she had a grand scheme.

Also, regarding the complaints about S2E11 people are having. I think it's valid to say this episode was all setup and no payoff. I wonder if Esmail originally intended S2E11 & E12 to be shown back to back on the same night like the premiere and USA just decided to split them up to get an extra week of ads? Either way, there's a lot riding on the finale. It needs some major questions answered.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Mind.Blown. That would be some twist. Some of what White Rose said to Angela about her and Elliot being "created" by the cancer caused by her factory fits in witht hat. I originally just took it as ego a narcissisim at play in WR, but maybe she had a grand scheme.

Also, regarding the complaints about S2E11 people are having. I think it's valid to say this episode was all setup and no payoff. I wonder if Esmail originally intended S2E11 & E12 to be shown back to back on the same night like the premiere and USA just decided to split them up to get an extra week of ads? Either way, there's a lot riding on the finale. It needs some major questions answered.

Maybe he intended season 2 to be a binge-release as well? The way the episode ended looked to me like it was always intended to be a cliffhanger - it'd have been a bit pointless if the resolution to them walking off was seeing them in another 5 minutes.

OK, OK good finale, though once again, leaving as hanging really bad. That ending with Mobley and Trenton....

Now I wonder how Whiterose converted Angela. One trippy session, and that's it?

Joanna's beating was horrible to watch, but I liked her part of the episode. 

I noticed there was no direct line between Elliott and Tyrell on Dom's board. So she's close, but not there yet. 

For all the frustration that this season has given me, I will definitely watch next season, but I may have to binge it.

Yeah pretty good. Tyrell shooting Elliot was the best part, great way to let us know Tyrell is real. 

Joanna will set up Scott for his wife's murder. Will this let Tyrell come back into the fold? Cause he still is known as the one who is responsible for the hack so I'm not sure what framing Scott really accomplishes. 

Joey Badass is gonna kill Mobley and Trenton right? :( 

7 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Yeah pretty good. Tyrell shooting Elliot was the best part, great way to let us know Tyrell is real. 

Given the number of times Mr Robot shot Elliot in the head at the start of the season I wouldn't say it provides concrete proof. The conversation with Angela at the end seemed to confirm it though and was more interesting to me as it possibly suggested Angela knows a lot more than we previously thought. Unless she was rapidly brought up to speed last episode.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Joanna's beating was horrible to watch, but I liked her part of the episode. 

What made it even more uncomfortable was the possibility she was getting off on the attack - which I'd say was more likely than not because she was in complete control throughout that scene. Except for the possibility he'd kill her but I think she'd genuinely worked out he didn't have that in him.

I'm not that fussed at what happens to Mobley and Trenton to be brutal about it. They could just be getting the team back together.

The finale was decent. Plenty of plot going around and we know what the next phase is. I still get frustrated by the manipulation of the viewer in order to keep Tyrell ambiguous. I just don't buy that all those scenarios with a third person never had a genuine reaction that could be specific to Tyrell being real. eg guy in the elevator could have easily said "are you going with him" and same for the taxi driver. I'll cut them some slack because it seems the intention was to make Elliot confused too. Still it's quite a big stretch for me and they were trying too hard by having the story with Joanna make it seem like Tyrell's messages weren't real.

On the bright-side I want Tyrell to be real jsut so we have another character back on board. It also makes it seem possibly that he was running things while Elliot was in prison as I'm not sure how things kept moving while he was in prison without an accomplice.

Not a great season but enough good moments to keep me on board for a bit longer. I still love the way it's filmed and the use of music - even if there's more style than substance most of the time.

12 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Wait - we know what the next phase is?

Phase II appears to be the destruction of all the physical, paper records of people's debts to E Corp that are being consolidated in that one building.  Phase I was the destruction of all the electronic records.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Given the number of times Mr Robot shot Elliot in the head at the start of the season I wouldn't say it provides concrete proof. The conversation with Angela at the end seemed to confirm it though and was more interesting to me as it possibly suggested Angela knows a lot more than we previously thought. Unless she was rapidly brought up to speed last episode

I think that whiterose brought her up to speed. Probably let her know the master plan behind it all which Angela obvious approves of cause it will end up fucking over ecorp.

I liked the finale well enough. Then again I haven't been nearly as down on this season as a lot you. The board scene with Dom and Darlene was great. Another thing I'm probably in the minority about, but I really like Dom a lot. 

Interesting they are going with more similarities from Fight Club, with the plan of blowing up of buildings and all.

Archived