Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

43 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I liked the finale well enough. Then again I haven't been nearly as down on this season as a lot you. The board scene with Dom and Darlene was great. Another thing I'm probably in the minority about, but I really like Dom a lot. 

Interesting they are going with more similarities from Fight Club, with the plan of blowing up of buildings and all.

I like Dom too - she seems relatively normal by the show's standards. Her world of being an FBI agent is easier to grasp than the others too.

Funny spot regarding phase 2 of the fight club homage.

Went back and rewatched. Found out I had skipped accidentally the whole middle of the show - Dom telling Darlene about the camera, Joanna getting her boyfriend to lie, and the reveal. Don't feel so bad any more.

Still, not a great ending. We get small resolutions of the Joanna plot and we find out about the next plan - but we still don't know why, we get nothing about whiterose and the pet project or Angela, or what Tyrell has been doing. 

So little happened this season. 

I love the style of the show but they've got to do more.

Amusing they can get away with saying cunt but not fuck.

Also loved rami Malek at the start, mimicking slater when talking with Tyrell. Nice stuff. Would love to see more of that.

Decent finale, but still stringing the viewer along. Next season will be a binge. Not enough answers to watch weekly.

I liked the Twist with Knowles being the one who was calling Joanna and sending gifts. Also like her plan to frame Knowles for his wife's murder. Damn Joanna is coldhearted.

I'm content with Tyrell's absence explained by him working on phase 2. However, Elliott's blackouts when Mr. Robot is the dominant personality are entirely too convenient for keeping the viewer in the dark. It is frustrating at times. I was ready to scream were Tyrell just another personality of Elliott.

The interrogation of Darlene by Dom was quite well done, especially Dom showing Darlene the board. I missed whether Cisco was dead or not. I thought Dom said he was hit in the clavicle or something. Didn't care to rewind it though. Dom was a great addition to this season. It was really her investigation that kept the plot advancing this season and was the aspect I was most interested in.

So phase 2 is destroying the hard records. Makes sense for a complete erasure of the status quo.

The reveal of Angela being full in on the conspiracy now was a bit too sudden for me. It seems Whiterose completely won her over from last week.

Also enjoyed the ending with Mobley and Trenton being shadowed, possibly killed by Leon. Loved how the camera followed the car he was in while Mobley and Trenton were talking. 

2 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The interrogation of Darlene by Dom was quite well done, especially Dom showing Darlene the board. I missed whether Cisco was dead or not. I thought Dom said he was hit in the clavicle or something. Didn't care to rewind it though. Dom was a great addition to this season. It was really her investigation that kept the plot advancing this season and was the aspect I was most interested in.

On the board Cisco is shown as killed. Vincent was the one that was hit in the clavicle and was going to live - he was the one responsible for the teabagging of congress. 

2 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The reveal of Angela being full in on the conspiracy now was a bit too sudden for me. It seems Whiterose completely won her over from last week.

Not only is she in on the conspiracy, she expected Tyrell might shoot Elliot, she expected him to call her, she happily dropped the lawsuit that was getting vengeance on E Corp...it's a pretty giant twist. I'm somewhat okay with us being in the dark with Elliot, because Elliot is kind of our view in the world and can't trust everything - but leaving out info for Angela seems cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

On the board Cisco is shown as killed. Vincent was the one that was hit in the clavicle and was going to live - he was the one responsible for the teabagging of congress. 

Not only is she in on the conspiracy, she expected Tyrell might shoot Elliot, she expected him to call her, she happily dropped the lawsuit that was getting vengeance on E Corp...it's a pretty giant twist. I'm somewhat okay with us being in the dark with Elliot, because Elliot is kind of our view in the world and can't trust everything - but leaving out info for Angela seems cheap. 

Ah, ok that was Vincent.

Yeah, Angela was almost a complete 180 in one episode.

Meh. So Phase II is a paper version of Phase I, how exciting. And we have the same conflict of methods (blowing up buildings) that we already covered in Season 1. Angela was somehow convinced of not only the entire plan, but of the necessity to shoot Elliot, to the extend where she's the one telling Tyrell "you did what you had to do"? Seriously?

It's hard to picture what Season 3 would even look like. Either Elliot is dragged along against his will through the whole plan as a redundant personality in his own body, or he's gonna suddenly be fine with killing people (unlikely). Meanwhile, the FBI have actually figured most of it out already and are looking for Elliot, so he's gonna have to be bunkered down like Tyrell was. And the paper's gonna be destroyed, so, there'll be a.......financial crisis? Rolling black outs? Everyone thinking their debt's been wiped? Haven't we done this already?

Am I supposed to care that guy-from-prison rocked up at the end? So what?

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

Am I supposed to care that guy-from-prison rocked up at the end? So what?

Well, yeah. Given that he's working for Dark Army and Whiterose, and Dark Army is going around and attempting to kill anyone involved in the 5-9 hack, and given that he's already killed a whole bunch of people to protect things? It's not a good sign for the two Frys employees enjoying a slurpee. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

Well, yeah. Given that he's working for Dark Army and Whiterose, and Dark Army is going around and attempting to kill anyone involved in the 5-9 hack, and given that he's already killed a whole bunch of people to protect things? It's not a good sign for the two Frys employees enjoying a slurpee. 

I missed that he worked for them. Still, it's three characters who I assumed we were done with. Its position post credits made me think there was some deeper implication I was missing.

2 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I missed that he worked for them. Still, it's three characters who I assumed we were done with. Its position post credits made me think there was some deeper implication I was missing.

Well, it was a mystery what happened to the two other hackers. We weren't sure if they were dead or captured or anything - and it turns out they instead escaped. And it also turns out that they might - maybe - have a way to undo the damage even if the paper trail is destroyed. And if they know about it, others can find it too. 

And then Joey Bada$$ pulls up all nonchalant and is likely going to kill their asses.

50 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Meh. So Phase II is a paper version of Phase I, how exciting. ..It's hard to picture what Season 3 would even look like.

Yes. 

I mean...Phase 1 was supposed to be a big deal and yet it gave us this season, so I'm not sure why revealing Phase 2 is some sort of glorious capstone that can end the season. We've learned that the big moments don't necessarily force the show onto a different pace.

It's hard to get really excited about it. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Well, it was a mystery what happened to the two other hackers. We weren't sure if they were dead or captured or anything - and it turns out they instead escaped. And it also turns out that they might - maybe - have a way to undo the damage even if the paper trail is destroyed. And if they know about it, others can find it too. 

And then Joey Bada$$ pulls up all nonchalant and is likely going to kill their asses.

Unless he was there to protect them which was his role with Elliot moreso than being the hitman. I agree that the most interesting thing about that scene was the long shot camera tracking up to and around them building up to the bada$$ reveal.

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Also loved rami Malek at the start, mimicking slater when talking with Tyrell. Nice stuff. Would love to see more of that.

They say "fuck" all the time in the UK broadcast.

Nice to see a scene with Malek getting to stretch and show why he deserved that Emmy.

6 hours ago, Kalbear said:

That was the line of the season.

“You will not get anything out of me. So why don’t you go read your manual and find the chapter on conniving cunts that don’t give a fuck about you or your feelings and then get back to me with some real tactics.”

With regards to Phase II. Yawn. Really, that was your big reveal?

Overall, this season had its moments, but largely sucked. Will definitely binge it next season.

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I liked the finale well enough. Then again I haven't been nearly as down on this season as a lot you. The board scene with Dom and Darlene was great. Another thing I'm probably in the minority about, but I really like Dom a lot. 

Interesting they are going with more similarities from Fight Club, with the plan of blowing up of buildings and all.

I agree with all of that. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who took note of the further Fight Club parallels in the S2 finale with the plans on blowing up a building. I'm a bit pissed though that we didn't get any further explanation about WTF White Rose's whole conversation with Angela meant in S2E11. All we know is she's Dark Army now. Or at least she's working with them according to Esmail in this interview. The best part for me was probably the Darlene interview with Dom and the big reveal that the FBI knew waaaaaaaay more than Darlene realized. This Elliot in the dark shtick is getting played out though. He was dangerously close to being the least interesting thing in the finale.

And how about that post credits scene! Trenton ditched the hijab but Mobley couldn't even get a haircut and shave? And reversing the 5/9 hack? Bitch is tripping! Now they're both gonna have to tell White Rose what time it is.

Great finale. I don't think it topped season's 1's finale, but then very little could do that. I'd give the season a 9 overall, compared to a ten last season. They were often too stingy with information, including in the finale. It felt like spinning wheels sometimes. However, it remains one of the best shows on tv because of all the fantastic character moments. The visuals are great too, but the character interactions are what really drives this show for me. They need to move things forward a bit more going forward, however, if they are going to get back up to perfection, and they may never achieve it again.

They really played with us about Tyrell being not real. I was kinda irritated. But that was an awsome shot when they where all 3 lined up. In that moment they had me convinced Tyrell was a third personality. For some reason they reminded me of Ultron in that shot. 

I think Darlene is the most likely candidate to undo the backdoor and phase 2. Mobley and Trenton are clearly either dead or in Dark Army's grasp now. Darlene wrote the malware. I think she will not be cool at all with Elliot getting shot and that may be what breaks her. I'm hoping she doesn't crack though. I love the character and greatly enjoyed the interrogation scene. Elliot is the second most likely to undo the backdoor and phase 2. Another possibility, Elliot may find some way to do the plan without killing. Very very hard, but that's what he does. It's the only way he goes along with this, at least as himself and not as Mr. Robot. Of course he may just wake up having helped execute the plan.

Characters like you are not welcome was hilarious.

They actually have quite a bit to cover in season 3. Price wasn't even in this episode, nor Whiterose. Unfortunately that comes at the price of being stingy in this season with info and developments.

Yeah very odd about Angela. Especially that she is totally cool with people dying in the plan and Elliot being shot.

13 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I agree with all of that. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who took note of the further Fight Club parallels in the S2 finale with the plans on blowing up a building. I'm a bit pissed though that we didn't get any further explanation about WTF White Rose's whole conversation with Angela meant in S2E11. All we know is she's Dark Army now. Or at least she's working with them according to Esmail in this interview. The best part for me was probably the Darlene interview with Dom and the big reveal that the FBI knew waaaaaaaay more than Darlene realized. This Elliot in the dark shtick is getting played out though. He was dangerously close to being the least interesting thing in the finale.

And how about that post credits scene! Trenton ditched the hijab but Mobley couldn't even get a haircut and shave? And reversing the 5/9 hack? Bitch is tripping! Now they're both gonna have to tell White Rose what time it is.

Just the finale? Elliot's job has either been to be the audience surrogate who doesn't know anything, the wet blanket or just a flat out liar in terms of what's actually happening the entire season. 

I liked the season, just felt like it didn't move forward enough. And as with the rest, Fight Club feels like it is being repeated. To me, Mr Robot season 3 needs to distance itself from it because it's feeling more like a rip off and less original.

I enjoyed the interrogation scene just because you know the agent could see through Darlene's false bravado. Then showing her the board and just how much they have on them was cool. It also let you know that Tyrell was real since they had his picture on it.

My fear for next season is that this finale set us up to second guess everything we see. Elliot was just shot and Angela said she wants to be there when he wakes up...ok so is he in a coma to start season 3 and for a few episodes we won't know it? Will we think he is and really he isn't?

20 hours ago, Kalbear said:

And it also turns out that they might - maybe - have a way to undo the damage even if the paper trail is destroyed. And if they know about it, others can find it too.

This is probably the most important aspect of that scene, hell, maybe even the entire finale, and it isn't really being discussed.

I'm thinking the Dark Army itself put this backdoor to recover the data. Their plan if that's correct would be to bankrupt E-corp only to, after it's finished, take it's place.

I liked the finale and think it was probably one of the better episodes this season. I liked that we finally got confirmation that Tyrell isn't dead or a figment of Elliot's imagination and I'm glad we has his particular brand of crazy back. The phase 2 reveal was a bit boring but it makes sense given what we knew form season 1. Angela being brought in to the fold was a nice move. I liked the post credits scene as well and I kinda hope that Joey Badass will pop up again in future seasons. Plus it was great to see that the FBI was more up to date than expected.

The second season has been kinda uneven. It is occasionally brilliant with great acting and cinematography as well as good character betas and worldbuilding. But at the same time it doesn't feel like the plot is moving forward at all and I'm getting a bit irritated about how they can never be upfront about anything. Plus we occasionally get some real bullshit like the Angela-White Rose interrogation or that fucking sitcom opening.

I will definitely still be watching the next season though. Although I'm thinking it might work better in binge-format.

6 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

The phase 2 reveal was a bit boring but it makes sense given what we knew form season 1.

We all kept talking about the upcoming 'reveal' here, but we didn't know Phase 2 existed until about two thirds of the way through the season. I didn't have particular high expectations about what it might be. Especially given the last 'mystery': remember when we all wondered what happened during the time that Elliot lost before he woke up in the car? We briefly thought he might have killed Tyrell, and then......well what did happen? They initiated the hack, which we knew. Elliot started planning (or possibly just told Tyrell and the DA about) Phase 2, which is basically the housekeeping of Phase 1. I'm tempted to think they had something bigger planned but then they went another way.

I didn't see Trenton's name on the board... I don't think the FBI knows about her... if so, she split w/ Mobley for no reason

Near the beginning of next season, I would like to see a flashback as to what the hell happened with Angela & Whiterose

Why hasn't Joanna had Knowles locked up for assault already? ... it would make sense if she's going to frame him for his wife's murder

Archived