Mr. Robot (spoilers).... 'cause I suck at this stuff

Martini Sigil

Apparently the show creator plans to direct every episode of season 2.   I hope he survives it.  Sounds like an insane idea.  Maybe he'll develop a multiple personality or dive into heavy drug use.  Maybe all this is semi-autobiographical.

Oh wow, he'll certainly have his hands full. Thanks for that.

Still no official start date for the second season, according to the Variety article on the matter. But they did speculate that the show might return a little later in the summer.

The first season will be out on DVD/Blu-ray January 12, with some extra TV-MA bits that didn't make the cut. The uncensored version has been available on iTunes since mid November, apparently. Very curious about the extra content. Is there anyone who bought it on iTunes that would care to spill the beans?

Apparently the show creator plans to direct every episode of season 2.   I hope he survives it.  Sounds like an insane idea.  Maybe he'll develop a multiple personality or dive into heavy drug use.  Maybe all this is semi-autobiographical.

Soderbergh does that and survives every year with The Knick.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the other thread must have gotten eaten altogether. It hasn't been coming up in Google searches, and the link from the notification I got a little while back tells me the topic ID is invalid.

What a bummer, there was a lot of good discussions going on.

That's a shame. I've just finished the season and was hoping to read some interesting discussion. I really enjoyed it felt like it was taking the Dexter template and throwing some hacking in place of killing (although Dexter liked to hack too). But it also had a sense of hopelessness about it that made "breaking bad" so compelling.

The Fight club comparisons were also easy to make and I guess it would have been cool if the twist wasn't obvious to me from the beginning. Then again the writers addressed the fact the "viewer" probably knew all along so they were covering their bases. I didn't see the sister coming and the death of his girlfriend though.

The final episode didn't really feel like a finale but that's cool as long as there's a second season and the complete absence of Tyrell was disconcerting in the end. I don't think he's dead but I'm not entirely sure what's happened to him.

That's a shame. I've just finished the season and was hoping to read some interesting discussion. I really enjoyed it felt like it was taking the Dexter template and throwing some hacking in place of killing (although Dexter liked to hack too). But it also had a sense of hopelessness about it that made "breaking bad" so compelling.

Hidden Content

To add to your point, I think  that the feeling of cluelessness the viewer has is intentional.... I was zoned in for this show, and I was never entirely sure what was going on.... for most shows that would be bad.... but for this show, with a schizophrenic lead.... I think it was brilliantly written so as to help us feel sympathetic towards Elliot .... Helplessness indeed.... Rami was brilliant as well.... which helped.

To add to your point, I think  that the feeling of cluelessness the viewer has is intentional.... I was zoned in for this show, and I was never entirely sure what was going on.... for most shows that would be bad.... but for this show, with a schizophrenic lead.... I think it was brilliantly written so as to help us feel sympathetic towards Elliot .... Helplessness indeed.... Rami was brilliant as well.... which helped.

He has a great face for looking lost. It took me a while to remember he played snafu in "the pacific" where he was also excellent.

There were some great scenes with characters being vulnerable eg

Gillian (allsafe's boss) where Elliot reveals that his hack unveiled a thoroughly decent human being. The scene that really got me was with the guide at steel mountain. The actor really conveyed someone being verbally destroyed and my heart bled for him.

I really like how they framed Elliot's narration which lead to lots of nice meta moments eg

I bet you know than me (which we do as we get to see scenes he's not privy too) but conversely the last episode throws us into a 3 day time jump where we don't know what's going on and he still asks us "what just happened"

• 2 weeks later...

So since both of the threads on thus subject got deleted, does anyone want to enlighten me about what it is you liked about this series?

I'm thinking about starting this, but a few other series are lined up as well.

3 hours ago, Calibandar said:

So since both of the threads on thus subject got deleted, does anyone want to enlighten me about what it is you liked about this series?

I'm thinking about starting this, but a few other series are lined up as well.

It is a genuinely interesting and different show. There is something about it that keeps your attention and when it's over you have more questions in your head than before it started. You tend to question what you thought about the previous episode, at least I did.

For me this show was an even spread between genuinely catching a current Zeigeist in an interesting way, and totally overshooting it and misunderstanding the world they are trying to create. 

I did like the show a lot 80% of the time. When it was dealing with bringing down the capitalist system, and the relationships with businesses, it seemed to be doing something unique. I think it fell down a lot by stealing far too much from different movies and tv shows, where it came across as a pastiche rather than a vision.

The obvious comparison being Fight Club, although I have just looked past that as it seems to be on purpose. But even by turning the main villain into a proto - patrick bateman it seemed like just a collection of memes. 

I'm really excited by a new series however, whether they will be able to tie lots of things together and expand on what they have started.

In addition to the points made already, the soundtrack does an incredible job of building and maintaining the tension throughout.

The TV-MA version of Season one is available on the USA website (provided you can log in with your TV service provider), with pop-ups during and commentary following each episode.  However, I wouldn't turn on the pop-ups if you haven't seen it yet, since they do contain some spoilers.

Archived