Nemesis Games by James SA Corey [SPOILERS]

Xray the Enforcer

Three quarters of the way through, and I am pretty sure that at least one of the Roci's crew isn't going to make it. Though at this stage it's difficult to say whether Amos, Naomi, or Alex is in the most precarious position. They're all pretty much in dire straits.

If I had to bet on it, I'd go for Naomi. She was the one doing all the foreshadowing at the beginning of the story, and I reckon there has to be some kind of karmic payback for that ship she blew up.

I mean, it's not like Naomi hasn't developed a history of being placed in a precarious position/held hostage.

Also, what was Naomi on about when she said she wanted immunity for the crew of the Rocinante before spilling her guts to Avasarala?

Aside from Naomi's own crimes I assumed she was shoring things up for Amos who committed several crimes on his way off earth including helping a dangerous criminal escape (who now looks to be part of the Roci's crew and hence covered by the immunity but I can't recall if Naomi knew about her at that stage)

I suspect that it's the enemy that fired the magic bullet that knocked out the protomolecule's operations on Ilus?

Aaaaaaahhhh..... So this is what was making all those ships disappear, or was that the Free Navy loons?

Aaaaaaahhhh..... So this is what was making all those ships disappear, or was that the Free Navy loons?

IIRC, the Free Navy was responsible for the disappearing Martian naval ships, whereas the colony ships that disappeared going through the rings were killed by the same thing that was in the epilogue.

IIRC, the Free Navy was responsible for the disappearing Martian naval ships, whereas the colony ships that disappeared going through the rings were killed by the same thing that was in the epilogue.

I couldn't tell if the ship at the end had the protomoecule sample on it when it went through the gate or if that had been sent on ahead. Anyone catch which?

Agree epilogue was a mindfuck. This book was my favorite so far, I think the Roci POVs were.necessary, and stoked to see Bobbie and Clarissa will be around on the future. When Naomi and Holden talked about the need for more crew my first thought was " Bobbie!".

Anyone know how realistic the medical stuff was re: Naomi's spacewalk?

Really looking forward to a shirt fiction installment before the next book, would be cool to get a Holden or Alex flashback. Loved the Naomi chapters. Also am I alone in really hoping for a Bobbie/ Alex romance? Same goes for Clarissa / Amos.

Edit: autocorrect seems to think Roci should read as Rico or Foci.

Also am I alone in really hoping for a Bobbie/ Alex romance?

Not alone and it does seem to be headed that way.

So am I the only one that spent this book getting upset over minor characters who haven't been around since book 2? Between everyone mourning Sam and then one line from Avasarala about Arjun and I was heartbroken for her. That's some A+ emotional manipulation right there.

Despite all the tragedy in the book, I liked how it kept thing light by poking fun at Holden.

There was first: (paraphrased)

Fred: What happened?

Holden: There was a button. I pushed it.

Fred: Jesus Christ, that's really how you go through life isn't it?

And then Holden shows that the fame did get to his head despite protestations of modesty:

Avarasala: Blah blah blah.. we're forming a taskforce... blah blah blah

Holden: And you want me to lead it.

Avarasala: Yes, because literally every U.N. Navy officer who wasn't dishonorably discharged has mysteriously disappeared.

Also am I alone in really hoping for a Bobbie/ Alex romance? Same goes for Clarissa / Amos.

No and no. Particularly rooting for poor old Alex.

Not alone and it does seem to be headed that way.

So am I the only one that spent this book getting upset over minor characters who haven't been around since book 2? Between everyone mourning Sam and then one line from Avasarala about Arjun and I was heartbroken for her. That's some A+ emotional manipulation right there.

I really missed Sam. Naomi's scene in the Golgo bar was especially bad. I must have missed Arjun's fate (I tend to rush through new books and then pick up details on re-reads - starting tomorrow!)

Avarasala: Blah blah blah.. we're forming a taskforce... blah blah blah

Holden: And you want me to lead it.

Avarasala: Yes, because literally every U.N. Navy officer who wasn't dishonorably discharged has mysteriously disappeared.

This was amazing. Sit down and shut the fuck up Jimmy, you're not all that special.

Can't wait to see Avasarala in the TV series, she's one of my favourite characters from any book.

Can't wait to see Avasarala in the TV series, she's one of my favourite characters from any book.

Her excellence is likely to be diminished somewhat by her inability to swear on American network TV.

I really hope they don't go down the BSG profanity road.

I really enjoyed the book, far more than Cybola Burn. I did not find it boring one bit. Breaking up the crew and giving each of them an interesting POV (well Holden was still Holden) made the first part of the book go by faster, then you had the crazy middle, and though the ending didn't offer the habitual conclusion the previous books did, where the bad guys get put down, it was quite an interesting turn the story took to put all the macrocosm shit storm that was going on in the background and concentrate on the microcosm of the Roci crew, mainly the Naomi rescue op.

However, I must say that despite the extreme dangers that the characters were put in, maybe because they were all POV, or maybe due to the tone of the book, I really wasn't that worried that any of them were going to die. I was far more worried for Amos in the previous book, or for Naomi in Abbadon's Gate when Clarissa tried to kill her. The character I was most worried about here was Bobbie.

Speaking of Clarissa, I'm not sure what to think. Maybe she deserves a redemption arc, maybe not. Like others here have pointed out, in these books most of the violence was caused by stupid, misguided people.

All in all, a really enjoyable read, and possibly my second of third favorite in the series.

Edit: Also the story in this book had to happen. A transition story, not just for the characters, but for the world, with massive changes of the status quo, but the epilogue reminded us of who the real boogie man is. I think after this book that the pitch SyFy is going with "Game of Thrones in space" is quite apt.

Her excellence is likely to be diminished somewhat by her inability to swear on American network TV.

Probably, but if the writers are creative enough it's perfectly possible to get the abrasiveness across without too much swearing.

Will be a shame though - I basically picture her as a little old Indian lady Malcolm Tucker.

I really enjoyed the book, far more than Cybola Burn. I did not find it boring one bit. Breaking up the crew and giving each of them an interesting POV (well Holden was still Holden) made the first part of the book go by faster, then you had the crazy middle, and though the ending didn't offer the habitual conclusion the previous books did, where the bad guys get put down, it was quite an interesting turn the story took to put all the macrocosm shit storm that was going on in the background and concentrate on the microcosm of the Roci crew, mainly the Naomi rescue op.

However, I must say that despite the extreme dangers that the characters were put in, maybe because they were all POV, or maybe due to the tone of the book, I really wasn't that worried that any of them were going to die. I was far more worried for Amos in the previous book, or for Naomi in Abbadon's Gate when Clarissa tried to kill her. The character I was most worried about here was Bobbie.

Speaking of Clarissa, I'm not sure what to think. Maybe she deserves a redemption arc, maybe not. Like others here have pointed out, in these books most of the violence was caused by stupid, misguided people.

All in all, a really enjoyable read, and possibly my second of third favorite in the series.

Edit: Also the story in this book had to happen. A transition story, not just for the characters, but for the world, with massive changes of the status quo, but the epilogue reminded us of who the real boogie man is. I think after this book that the pitch SyFy is going with "Game of Thrones in space" is quite apt.

While Game of Thrones In Space is great pitch to get studio execs interested in funding and audiences interested in watching, I don't think it's that quite accurate.

Game of Thrones is about the movers and shakers plotting and scheming away or at least watching the plotters and schemers from up close. The Expanse is, for the most part about, normal people stumbling onto those plots and schemes. The one mover and shaker, Avarasala, was only a POV character when she was on the outside of the conspiracy.

While Game of Thrones In Space is great pitch to get studio execs interested in funding and audiences interested in watching, I don't think it's that accurate.

You're right. What they should have said is 'Game of Thrones In Space But Without All The Problematic Bullshit That Is Turning The Show Into A 14-Year-Old Misogynist's Wet Dream.'

While Game of Thrones In Space is great pitch to get studio execs interested in funding and audiences interested in watching, I don't think it's that quite accurate.

Game of Thrones is about the movers and shakers plotting and scheming away or at least watching the plotters and schemers from up close. The Expanse is, for the most part about, normal people stumbling onto those plots and schemes. The one mover and shaker, Avarasala, was only a POV character when she was on the outside of the conspiracy.

You're right. What they should have said is 'Game of Thrones In Space But Without All The Problematic Bullshit That Is Turning The Show Into A 14-Year-Old Misogynist's Wet Dream.'

Yes, you guys are right, particularly about how GoT is turning out, but I was also thinking of the boogey man, like I said. The alien element (and I am not talking about the human interference with alien element) is a bit like the Others in ASoIaF. You have some mysterious aliens now that may make all these socio-political upheavals moot, just like the Others may make all the scheming and warmongering in ASoIaF moot.

No and no. Particularly rooting for poor old Alex.

I really missed Sam. Naomi's scene in the Golgo bar was especially bad. I must have missed Arjun's fate (I tend to rush through new books and then pick up details on re-reads - starting tomorrow!)

It was easy to miss, Amos asked her about her family and she said her daughter was with her but with Arjun 'we remain optimistic' with a smile that didn't meet her eyes.

As far as humour Amos claiming his ship as salvage had me laughing hard.

I also noticed that Corey seems much more pessimistic about Basic Income in Nemesis Games than in previous books. It's not nearly pessimistic as David Weber was, and much more realistically depicted, imho, but it was definitely jaring for somebody who thinks of Basic Income as the inevitable future.

Archived