The Fate of Craster's Sons

DarkSister1001

5 hours ago, DarkSister1001 said:

There's a reason we haven't seen the lower levels yet.  It's either collapsed and dangerous as we're told or there's something down there they shouldn't see and over the years the stories and excuses just morphed into what we're told.  

:agree:

The idea of burying people at the very bottom first is. .. odd. Why not start at the top? No--something's sown there. And, with Bloodraven's cave, I think we're seeing exactly what's down there.

3 hours ago, LmL said:

That makes perfect sense, since weirs are eternal and grow forever. Look at Bloodaven's cave - the roots are thicker than a giant's leg and have woven themselves all throughout the earth and rock. Winterfell's weirwood should be doing the same, down there somewhere in the dark. In a way, the bodies of the dead Starks are being fed to the weirwood. 

HA! Ninjaed and one-upped by @LmL.

I think the Starks, like the NW, forgot their history and purpose. 

One way or another, this has to be true. We've got them leaving Winterfell and the North. Ned is struck when he hears of Bran's rescue via Summer. Only then does he think Jon might have been right that the wolves were really meant for the kids. Ned's forgotten/not been told/not understood what some of his history is.

They eventually abandoned the lower levels, maybe they were full, and over the years the intrusive weirwood roots eroded the earth and caused the damage.  Maybe they were too much to maintain, like the Night Fort.  Maybe they were intentionally enthroned or accidentally just by tree growth over time.  Either way I say the weirwood can reach down there and that'll give Bran collective knowledge of all the past KoW and Lord's of WF.

Maybe. But I think the crypts were closed up on purpose. That whatever happened at Winterfell, eventually winter got felled. And they closed up the caves and stayed there--to make sure such a winter wouldn't come again.

ETA - There's also the Haunted Forest that has been left alone in places and is creeping closer to the Wall.  So why not an unchecked weirwood?

Makes sense--or unchecked use of a weirwood. We know what Craster was doing (or thought he was doing ) in those woods. That the white shadows are there in the woods. So, the idea that the Haunted Forest is as it is because unchecked--yes, this has possibilities.

Archived