Trailer thread

Veltigar

Let's talk trailers. Like most people, I kind of have a love–hate relationship with them. A good trailer (or even a teaser) can be a marvellously exciting thing. However, due to the widespread incompetence of trailermakers, watching a trailer can be a tricky thing, because bad trailers give away way to many cool scenes and twists. That doesn't just lead to spoiling a movie you might have otherwise enjoyed (more), it can also trick you into spending your time and money on a product that is not deserving (e.g. the atrocious cashgrab that is Anchorman II).

Therefore, nowadays I try to consciously avoid trailers. Especially with comedies, but more and more also with other films. Sadly, the body is weak, so it's always a struggle. Usually I do manage to limit myself to one trailer per film. If the movie was good, I often go back to watch the remaining trailers I haven't seen yet. That usually plays out well for me.

Anyway, what I'd like this thread to be is a place to discuss trailers. Both in general and discussing specific trailers. This isn't the place to be for the new SW teaser or the trailer for infinity war. These are huge enough events that they can have a full thread on their own. This is more a place to discuss trailers for cool films that aren't these huge blockbusters. So, if you see a neat trailer somewhere (or a bad one) than just drop a comment and then we can discuss them.

I'll start with the new trailer for Michael Fassbender's Macbeth It looks very promising.

Macbeth looks awesome.

Speaking of trailers though I thought that the trailer for Spy looked like absolute shite and had no impulse to see it what-so-ever but its right now sitting at 95% on RT with over a 130 reviews so I'm starting to wonder if the marketing folk just dropped the ball on that one or if its just not my brand of comedy

Macbeth looks awesome.

It does a great job at creating atmosphere doesn't it :) Also, it is pretty non-spoilery, so the three people out there who don't know how Macbeth ends don't need to skip this one :)

Speaking of trailers though I thought that the trailer for Spy looked like absolute shite and had no impulse to see it what-so-ever but its right now sitting at 95% on RT with over a 130 reviews so I'm starting to wonder if the marketing folk just dropped the ball on that one or if its just not my brand of comedy

Since I have no intention to watch this in the theatre, I decided to look that trailer up. It isn't just you, that trailer is pretty lame if you ask me. It had like one chuckle worthy moment and that was it. The high score on RT doesn't really surprise me though. I must say that I find RT a pretty bad reviewaggregator, I prefer Metacritic :) They are usually more on point imo :)

Yeah, Spy has such good reviews that despite having had no real interest from the trailer I've decided I'm going to see it this weekend anyway (especially since a couple of the reviews have highlighted things about it that the trailer never so much as implies). That's an example of one done badly.

I'm apparently in the minority, but the Macbeth trailer has done nothing to convince me that it needed to be made when the Polanski version exists, except maybe for those people who refuse to watch Polanski, which is fair enough I guess.

If there's a movie that seems interesting it's pretty much a guarantee that I will watch every single trailer that available. I cant help myself, especially since they are so easily available nowadays.

When it comes to good trailer for movies I look forward to seeing, these two stand out.

DOPE

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

With respect to trailers in general, I quite like them despite their flaws, even the bad ones. I hate going to the cinema with people and the trailers start and they head off to the bathroom. The trailers are the appetiser before the main event, so you can see all the cool stuff that's coming up!

Admittedly, my opinion on this is bolstered by the fact that I don't really mind spoilers, but still. :lol: I'm always disappointed when the cinema doesn't show trailers before the movie.

And in turn, here is a trailer I found. Z for Zachariah, starring Margot Robbie, Chiwetel Eijofor and Chris Pine. Supposedly a Sci-Fi, seems more like a thriller-romance. Could be interesting, although I'm hesitant when it comes to Pine.

This was literally my reaction as well XD My brain was like "Wow, this looks promising. The concept looks cool, I love Robbie and Ejiofor... is that Chris Pine? Damn, expectations more then a little deflated now." the reviews seem to be mixed so far as well.

I really like the look of that trailer. I like Michael Fassbender and Marion Cotillard loads, and I think I saw David Thewlis too which is a bonus. I don't know why, but Fassbender seems acutely well suited to this role.

Hey, don't be surprised. It is Fassbender after all. That man is acutely well suited for pretty much every role :P

With respect to trailers in general, I quite like them despite their flaws, even the bad ones. I hate going to the cinema with people and the trailers start and they head off to the bathroom. The trailers are the appetiser before the main event, so you can see all the cool stuff that's coming up!

Admittedly, my opinion on this is bolstered by the fact that I don't really mind spoilers, but still. :lol: I'm always disappointed when the cinema doesn't show trailers before the movie.

Despite the fact that I try and avoid them at home, in the theatre I'll definitely watch them. It's part of the experience as you say :)

That trailer is great. Plus the movie has 92% on Metacritic, so yeah, I'll probably see this one.

This one looks - dare I say it - pretty dope as well :P

This was literally my reaction as well XD My brain was like "Wow, this looks promising. The concept looks cool, I love Robbie and Eijofor... is that Chris Pine? Damn, expectations more then a little deflated now." the reviews seem to be mixed so far as well.

It's just a shame that Eijofor's career peaked ten years ago. So much promise. </3

Despite the fact that I try and avoid them at home, in the theatre I'll definitely watch them. It's part of the experience as you say :)

Oh yeah, trailers at home mostly suck, with a few exceptions.

As a kid to young adult seeing trailers at the movies was one of my favorite parts. I used to be one of those "I don't want to miss the previews*!" people.

* "Previews" are what we called them before we knew the technical name was "trailers".

Now in the age of the internet and You Tube specifically, the magic has all but gone out of that aspect. It's still possible to go to a movie and be given a trailer for a movie that had gone under you radar. Mostly smaller, more independent films though, though a big budget can sneak by here and there.

But now when I go to the movies, which is much, much less than I used to go, the trailers are more of a boring thing to sit through now than anything else. Another thing about them is that they've become so uniform. They are all grimdark Nolan Batman trailer Paranormal Activity clones with some unfunny comedic ones thrown in sometimes. I don't know if it's just the nostalgia talking or there's more substance to my feelings but it really seems that way.

Another thing, I think that with the passing of Don Lafontaine the "In a world..." trailer voice guy, it marked the passing of trailers being great and fun in general.

It used to be EVERY trailer for a movie I wanted to see got me excited. Now it's very rare. The new Star Wars trailer is very well done and an exception, though it can be said that's for nostalgic reasons as well. Same for the teaser/first Terminator: Genysis one, which I though was a good one, but then was fucked up with the more expanded one. Otherwise the rest are so damn blah.

I have to admit I got halfway excited when I saw this one, but for the umpteenth time...nostalgia and the parts that seem updated to a "now" style comedy turn me off and makes me think the movie will most likely be terrible. It seems like no one gets that with these movies it's the more outrageous the funnier it is and that is kind of a different thing than the more gross out it is trying to be.

But if I saw that in the theater, I'd be a little pumped, but now I saw it on YouTube and seeing it in the theater now would be mostly meh.

My list of a handful of what I think are some of the best trailers in history circa 1960's-2000's:

1968 Planet of the Apes

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Exorcist

Logan's Run

Jaws and Jaws 2 - the sequel just for the wonderful line "just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water..."

Original Star Wars 1977 - Some may think this is too corny now, but I love the unpolished, "how do we sell this...movie?" feeling of it

Alien

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - Holy shit this trailer makes a movie that was ultimately too slow and boring and eventually come to learn co-starring a pedophile, still look totally epic and exciting!

Superman 1979 - though I wish I could find it with the "You will believe a man can fly" tagline

and Superman Returns - again nostalgia making it work

One of the most awesome sequel teasers ever.

Batman (1989) - This one doesn't hold up as well without the music to me, but the "What are you?!!" "I'm Batman" and Joker reveal along with "Wail til they get a load of me" lines, still epic.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

The other most awesome of teasers ever

Any of the Rocky movies, though my favorites are a couple from the first one, 4, and 6

In 1994 I foolishly thought I was too old for Disney movies, The Lion King trailer changed me of that delusion.

Star Wars Special Edition (1997) - Regardless of how you may feel about the special edition (Han shot first you asshole!!!) Seeing the X-Wing burst out of the TV was just like "WHOA!!!" and where fans never got unexcited the trailer made the general public really excited about Star Wars again.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - Because it made the movie look soooooo good. I remember recording this exact trailer off of "Entertainment Tonight" and rewatching it a couple dozen times. This movie was going to be the best ever! "rolleyes:

Finally, talking about great trailers of the past, you have to include the Spiderman teaser. Which on its own ranks up with the greatest of teasers, but due to the unfortunate events of 9/11 has just made it legendary and a marker of historical significance.

Again all this just my opinion and very possible rose colored nostalgia goggles of the past, but when faced with seeing the dreadful and actual groan inducing from me Fant4stic trailer and a bunch of trailers like Insidious and Sinister during the 2 movies I saw in the theater this past month, I think the combination of past style and not being able to see them on You Tube any time I want has really downgraded the experience, and it's kind of sad.

Man, I remember that trailer. As many issues as all the prequels had, that trailer was almost perfect.

"At last we shall reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we shall have revenge."

"I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war."

Let's talk trailers. Like most people, I kind of have a love–hate relationship with them. A good trailer (or even a teaser) can be a marvellously exciting thing. However, due to the widespread incompetence of trailermakers, watching a trailer can be a tricky thing, because bad trailers give away way to many cool scenes and twists. That doesn't just lead to spoiling a movie you might have otherwise enjoyed (more), it can also trick you into spending your time and money on a product that is not deserving (e.g. the atrocious cashgrab that is Anchorman II).

I agree, I really like a good trailer but it is annoying when you feel like you've seen half the film before watching it. I'm definitely not keen on the recent trend for showing whole scenes rather than trailers before films.

Having said that, I was thinking about some of the best trailers I've seen and the first couple I thought of do give away quite a lot of the plot. Fellowship of the Ring wasn't just Jackson's best film, it also had an amazing trailer. I also loved the Cloud Atlas trailer, while I liked the film I think the trailer is better. Like a lot of good trailers the music is crucial, it makes great use of M83's Outro in the second half.

I actually dislike trailers so much that I almost always show up at the theater 10-15 minutes after official start time. Then I make sure to go to the bathroom after buying my ticket just to be certain I won't have to sit through trailers. Only once it backfired on me and I ended up walking in after the film already started.

Mostly, I only really watch film trailers for things I'm already interested in seeing. However, for tv shows, I purposely seek out the upcoming season's trailer. But then again, it's still for something I already know I want to see. I've never felt spoiled by any of it.

There are exceptions. Didn't even know there was a new Macbeth coming out and that trailer at the top definitely makes me want to see it.

Not that we really needed a trailer for Macbeth :D It's a great trailer, but if it had literally been a black screen with white text on it that said "New Macbeth - in theatre on 15 october - Fassbender is in it - bring money" we would all still have gone :p I mean ever since 300, pretty much everything Fassbender has done has been great. He's pretty much a hallmark of quality, if he plays a part in it, even if it's only supporting I'll probable see it eventually.The man seems to have a knack for picking the best screenplays out there.

Not that we really needed a trailer for Macbeth :D It's a great trailer, but if it had literally been a black screen with white text on it that said "New Macbeth - in theatre on 15 october - Fassbender is in it - bring money" we would all still have gone :P I mean ever since 300, pretty much everything Fassbender has done has been great. He's pretty much a hallmark of quality, if he plays a part in it, even if it's only supporting I'll probable see it eventually.The man seems to have a knack for picking the best screenplays out there.

i LOVE him, to be honest. but it's the song in the trailer that cemented it for me tbh...i know that sounds silly but it was so good that it really emphasized all the little glimpses of things we see and i was like...GOOD TRAILER. WILL WATCH MOVIE. though...like you say....probABLY would have watched it anyway

Not that we really needed a trailer for Macbeth :D It's a great trailer, but if it had literally been a black screen with white text on it that said "New Macbeth - in theatre on 15 october - Fassbender is in it - bring money" we would all still have gone :P I mean ever since 300, pretty much everything Fassbender has done has been great. He's pretty much a hallmark of quality, if he plays a part in it, even if it's only supporting I'll probable see it eventually.The man seems to have a knack for picking the best screenplays out there.

Amen... I sincerely don't remember when any actor impressed me as Michael Fassbender in the past several years. One of those actors, whose tormented face isn't sign of constipation. Somewhere in my mind, he has always been the perfect Rhaegar...

As for Macbeth, I mean, come on... Cotillard + Fassbender... A proof God exists... :)

Although, I would like to know ASAP how will Weinstein solve Blanchett,Mara,Cotillard award season conundrum. I would like Blanchett for the lead, Cotillard for supporting. Now that would be a glorious year for Oscars.

As for trailers, long time fan... I mean the music... Every trailer is seen for one thing and one thing only... Music.

I still have goosebumps from Return of the King trailer just because of orchestra theme mixed with Aragorn speech. Maggie Smith's "Hogwarts is threatened" in Deathly Hallows part 2 with Immediate music song was brilliant. Guardians of the Gate for Avatar, Hobbit 2 and 3 trailer music, even the music for the Hunger Games 2. I am huge sucker for trailer music...

Archived