Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Ep 9 had its moments. The Shireen burning was hard to watch but they did it well... It was nice to see her mother break like that and act as a mother first, that's human nature, and a real moment. Now the whole fighting pit bit, thankfully we're getting close to the end of that debacle. That whole bit is just not going well, ugh, not happening... But hopefully Tyrion redeems that storyline and we always have the Wall and Jon Snow to fall back on!

I thought the episode was great. No nudity, even in the brothel scene, which I blame on the housewives who have been complaining about the "HBO quota". :frown5:

It will be very interesting to see how the Shireen burning affects everyone else. I wonder where the other escaped bastard son is now.

Overall great episode. I guess it is easy for me to laugh at the book readers as they seem to expect so much in every single episode and forget that this is a TV series, not a feature length movie (which would be even more truncated). Although HBO's incredible budget makes you forget that sometimes.

I thought it was an exciting, albeit disturbing, episode. I can't believe the season finale is next week! I dinnae like the looks Ollie keeps throwing at Kit Snow. This will not end well. (I just dread thinking which major characters that I like may be killed next week.)

This was an intense, disturbing, great episode. I felt a couple of episodes at the start of this season were not so convincing, but especially the last two, wow.

We have descended from rape of Sansa, to rape of a young girl by a Kingsguard. Epi 9 hit an all time low.

I'm not sure it makes sense to discuss such general issues in a specific episode topic but anyways: Why is this "descending" and "an all time low"? Can you please explain what you mean?

Edited by valirpaz

Loved this episode, as hard as it was to see Shireen being burned. Killing children has already been done on the show, remember one of Roberts bastards being killed? A baby being stabbed no less. The burning scene is no more shocking.

Not read the books so dont care about the fact that the show has diverged or 'isnt as good'. Seems people dont quite understand that a book that covers potentially hundreds of hours of material has to be compressed down to fit in 10 1 hour shows. Good books dont always make good TV or movies, their have to be changes.

Everything in the show makes sense to me, I think book reader that dont think so are just not able to separate the show and the books and can only see the show characters and story in reference to the books, frankly they need to let it go. The image they have in their heads doesnt match the show and they cant reconcile the two. Complaints that the book characters are deeper or more complex are meaningless, of course they are they have had thousands of pages to get to there!

We have descended from rape of Sansa, to rape of a young girl by a Kingsguard. Epi 9 hit an all time low.

In Victorian London, not even medieval times but just a few generations back, that sort of thing was common. In 1885, a report was published about thirteen year old child prostitutes. This was legal (the government responded by raising the age of consent to sixteen). Why should a tv show not depict something that would realistically happen in that environment? There are plenty of shows for people who, quite reasonably, don't want to see the horrors of reality. This has never been one.

I agree it was a low point though, for a very different reason. Stannis burning his daughter, his only God damn heir. No no no. I like Stannis. Well not show Stannis, now.

@mankytoes This is pretty much my stance too.

Heu guys.

Do you think Ser Jorah will survive Greyscale? We were told a couple of episodes before he caught it about Shireen being cured. Do you think the writers included that on purpose to show there's still hope for Jorah?

Same question as in the last episode topic, so you'll get my same answer. ;)

I'm wondering about that too. Personally I think it would be weird to bring him back just to kill him off so quickly. So I definitely think he'll live a while. It might be that for fight the illness is an advantage? I don't remember the details but grey scale is also called stone men or stone people right? So does it mean the scales are very hard and as long as he lives he'll be somewhat invulnerable at all areas infected? He could turn into some kind of Sigurd/Siegfried-like superfighter? Also I was thinking maybe at some point they realise that there is some connection/bond between greyscale and dragons?

What I didn't fully understand a few episodes again: why did the greyscale people attack Jorah's/Tyrion's boat? Because they wanted to kill and rob them? Because they hope to catch the boat and escape from where they are? Because they turn crazy/mindless and attack everyone (a little bit like the white walker zombies)? Were there hints about this that I missed?

Of course now we have an additional possibility: He touched Daenerys, so she might get it...

Edited by valirpaz

valirpaz, on 06 Jun 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:snapback.png

I'm wondering about that too. Personally I think it would be weird to bring him back just to kill him off so quickly. So I definitely think he'll live a while. It might be that for fight the illness is an advantage? I don't remember the details but grey scale is also called stone men or stone people right? So does it mean the scales are very hard and as long as he lives he'll be somewhat invulnerable at all areas infected? He could turn into some kind of Sigurd/Siegfried-like superfighter? Also I was thinking maybe at some point they realise that there is some connection/bond between greyscale and dragons?

What I didn't fully understand a few episodes again: why did the greyscale people attack Jorah's/Tyrion's boat? Because they wanted to kill and rob them? Because they hope to catch the boat and escape from where they are? Because they turn crazy/mindless and attack everyone (a little bit like the white walker zombies)? Were there hints about this that I missed?

I think the stonemen that attacked them did so because they've gone crazy; I think that's one reason why it's a terrible disease, you lose your mind once it's all over your body.

I like Jorah's character, so I hope he doesn't die, but the greyscale isn't looking too good. However I do think that the mention that Shireen's was cured is something to keep note of; it might be important later on. Hopefully Jorah gets cured before it's too late; if he doesn't, I think he'll die fighting somehow, not because the greyscale took him over.

I don't think Dany or her dragons will get greyscale, but maybe Missandie will, since she touched Dany's hand? I'm not saying Dany's immune to getting killed in GoT, I know better than that... but her story's not done yet. It would be a huge waste of her entire storyline if she contracted greyscale and died in Essos without ever getting to Westeros to do something epic/momentous.

Somewhat different topic, what's everyone else's thoughts on who might get to ride the other two dragons? Tyrion and Jorah? :cool4: