[Poll] How would you rate episode 509?

Ran

How would you rate episode 509?  

980 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I have to agree for the most part. Show Stannis had his moments but he failed to be a really dynamic character. The pit scene while having good visuals felt very contrived. It didn't seem realistic that the Harpies would have outnumbered Danys guards. Also why didn't they have better weapons? Then when Drogon shows up they suddenly have spears, left and right.

While I have no answer for many other things in this episode that made me scratch my head, most of the pit scene I am alright with. Dany and her advisors simply made a tactical error of underestimating their enemy and just how many Sons of the Harpy there are. They provided way too little security. You can see unsullied stationed among the crowd, and probably enough for any normal drunken fight or disruptive brawl, but not enough for a mass coordinated attack. I think ultimately Dany and crew thought the peace was going to hold via the marriage solution. The Sons had apparently rejected this but didn't send the memo.

The spears were likely picked up from dead unsullied which didn't happen right away. The spears were thrown at the dragon rather than Dany as the dragon was burning people alive and Dany was just standing there and could be dealt with later. In other words the dragon drew the aggro (mmo players will understand). The Sons of the Harpy are more of a pissed off group of wealthy arisocrats than a band of seasoned warriors or super assassins, they had what weapons they could sneak in. How they snuck the masks in I don't know.

Honestly I had more of a problem with Jorah man handling Dany while having gray scale than anything else.

I gave it a 2/10.

The season has been poor, but I was expecting them to have saved a lot of good stuff for the last 3 episodes. The fact that this episode has also turned out to be poor is very disappointing.

I was always in favour of the show's violence in the past, as it seemed like a realistic depiction of the horrors of medieval times. Now that the show is poorly written, the violence just seems like a crude way of attracting viewers.

Dany's scene was like a scene from B-movie.

This.

Although it's starting to seem more like a crude way of repelling viewers.

While I have no answer for many other things in this episode that made me scratch my head, most of the pit scene I am alright with. Dany and her advisors simply made a tactical error of underestimating their enemy and just how many Sons of the Harpy there are. They provided way too little security. You can see unsullied stationed among the crowd, and probably enough for any normal drunken fight or disruptive brawl, but not enough for a mass coordinated attack. I think ultimately Dany and crew thought the peace was going to hold via the marriage solution. The Sons had apparently rejected this but didn't send the memo.

The spears were likely picked up from dead unsullied which didn't happen right away. The spears were thrown at the dragon rather than Dany as the dragon was burning people alive and Dany was just standing there and could be dealt with later. In other words the dragon drew the aggro (mmo players will understand). The Sons of the Harpy are more of a pissed off group of wealthy arisocrats than a band of seasoned warriors or super assassins, they had what weapons they could sneak in. How they snuck the masks in I don't know.

Honestly I had more of a problem with Jorah man handling Dany while having gray scale than anything else.

It would seem like killing Dany would have been the key to the whole thing. Now it is possible they wanted her alive, they did attach some signifigance to her Valyrian blood in the books. We haven't heard that in the show so far but if they were trying to kill her it didn't make much sense, D&D seemed to imply that they meant to kill her. The most likely thing is that the weapons and masks were planted the day before, some crossbows might have produced better results.

Although I originally rated it a 7, I think a good bit of that was because Shireen's sacrifice simply cast a hell of a black cloud over everything else that happened, even Daznak's Pit. Such clashing juxtaposition, it was hard to be excited about Drogon appearance while the cries of one of the sweetest, most generous and kind hearted little girl's screams were still echoing in my mind. The next time I watched it (FF through the Shireen scene), I thought that I would have rated it an 8 if I'd just waited. Next day I watched the Daznak Pit sequence by itself and that time, it brought tears to my eyes.

I thought Dorne was really pretty good (unlike any previous episodes), and I'm anxious to see what dynamics the presence of Trystane and Marcella create in KL. Can't wait to see Cerise's reaction when she encounters still one more thing she can't control. Would rather they have waited on The Wall until the final episode, rather than just showing such a brief couple of seconds about it. Really glad to see Arya out and about again, also am totally sure that she doesn't have Kindly Man/Jaqen fooled one bit. Anxious to see her reunited with Needle next week.

A provisional 8. Need to rewatch in the morning when more awake, and mull it over a bit more. I'm with you Phoenix that the Drogon scene wasn't entirely what I wanted it to be, but I admit it was still stirring... stirring enough that it took awhile to realize that Dany had abandoned her friend, her lover, her new advisor, and her old protector to their fates while they were surrounded by sons of the harpy...

As to the Shireen thing, horrifying and tragic. Amazing performances all around. I don't think D&D really earned the moment, though, I think they really failed to make the real desperation of the situation obvious, so I think a lot of people will balk at that. That said, I've always seen Stannis as Agamemnon to Shireen's Iphigenia, and have always supposed that Stannis would be faced with the decision of sacrificing his own daughter. His vision of a king with a fiery crown being burned to ashes may well have a glimpse of the past, re: Viserys, but to me it says that Stannis will ultimately be destroyed by what he's doing, and to me there's a lot of emotional resonance in his sacrificing his own daughter. The only reason he didn't burn Edric, besides the fact that Davos got the boy away, was being convinced that he was doing it for the wrong reasons and needed to focus on saving the realm from the Great Other.... but if at the end of things he has nothing left to win the war but the promise of what the sacrifice of king's blood can offer... well.

I love the idea of Stannis as Agamemnon to Shireen's Iphigenia. It was so horrifying to see Shireen go like that.. I used to be kind of neutral about him, now I think he's doomed. Last week Tyrion said that a ruler who kills those devoted to him could not inspire devotion. That's now Stannis. He may win the battle, but I think he's lost the war.

Good moments, the fighting pit scene was really enjoyable, although awfully stupid. Drogon came to save mommy, which really rustled my jimmies, the worth of the unsullied was proven, which shows that the good masters really overpriced them and the Sons of the Harpy still continue to make no sense, as a ragtag team of insurgents wouldn't be able to prepare and pull off such an attack. Beside, don't you think they'd be happy that the new queen finally embraces the Meereenese culture?

That bit in the great city that is "Dorne" also struck me as being flawed beyond level, with Bronn still living and that whole sexualization of the dornish people.

Ser Trant being a pedo also strikes me as an attempt to make him appear to have no redeeming factors, and still failed to get me invested in Arya's bit.

Stannis burning Shireen was at least logical and in character, IMO, and left me genuinely surprised. Only wondering now if it'll happen in WoW (probably).

Also: they killed Harzoo zo Harzoo, Fourtheenth of That Noble Name, King of Meereen, Scion of Ghis, Master of the Skahazadhan and Consort to Dragons :frown5:

Does it means he's not the Harpy or an affiliate in the books as well?

All in all : EH 4/10

Edited by Teats on a King

7/10 Disappointing due to being 9th episode. In Bravoos we got Arya whose story is way staler than in the books (Why the hell would they not include her being blindfolded for a month or how long it was as part of the training...? that was great in the books! ) plus the unnecessary bit about Ser Trant's brothel-breaking preferences regarding age.. he really plays creepy superbly though... ...
So the only fun was Mace's singing.. at this point I kinda wish they never did Dorne, thus more time for better character-arcs...
What does this all mean for Doran and his master plan I wonder.. There's too many possible spoilers for book 6 and they have hardly scraped the surface of book 4 and 5 material... :( I won't watch season 6 before reading book 6 and with the internet being stuffed with GoT, I'll have tread carefully come next year.. unless the book is released before next season, in which case hallelujah I can read the book and then watch the abuse committed to Martin's story in Tv-land.

Jon Snow's like: "Imma just leave out that part about me being completely right and all, not gonna 'splain shit hopefully my brothers won't stab me! Heheeee..."

Some "fun" Sand snakes time with girls talk in jail.
Some Daario showing his cock and Dany looking pleased.
Jorah's improbable survival...
Some awesome Drogon action..Some Dany flying off to uncertainty, leaving her magic good-luck dwarf's cock behind, and Ser Grayscale and all the rest.

Please don't hit Bronn in the face do'
And Stannis dude what the heck...

Gave it a 9 - have just finished watching it a couple of minutes ago and am still a bit shaken so my vote is subject to emotions. I think this episode has some very strong moments; I liked seeing more of Doran and I wonder what Ellaria is up to. The final scene with Dany riding on Drogon was just... epic. I was speechless, probably because I was still dealing with Shireen's death and the emotions this scene set loose (damn you, Stannis - I liked you!). But, hey, finally - we get to see Dany take flight! It might have not been executed perfectly CGI-wise, but it was nevertheless an awesome moment and one I've been waiting for since season 1. Also, brilliant acting in this episode - the eye contact between Dany and Jorah while he was in the fighting pit was heartbreaking, I wanted Arya to kill stupid Meryn Trant, and I'm very happy that Jaime's still alive.

• 2 weeks later...

This was bad. Regardless of opinion on the Shireen scene, I think most people would agree it should have been placed last... as the above few posters have noted, it was still ringing in your head as you watched the pit scene with Dany, making it very hard to concentrate on anything else.

I don't usually factor CGI work into my ratings, but the flight on drogon was laughably bad. It was like an episode of Sienfeld where they're in the car, and the background is moving behind them.

Edited by Daddylonglegs

• 5 months later...