(Book Spoilers) Mannis 2 Society: Burning Anxiety

I would've been fine with this whole Abraham's dillema, but the stakes (no pun intended) didn't seem nearly high enough to justify such a horrific act.

Yeah, that's very much my problem with it.

Firstly, Mel's only proven magical feat was killing Renly (which wasn't even using king's blood) and visions in the fire. Balon's leech not working is a very compelling reason to assume that her king's blood thing might not do anything at all.

Secondly, the whole story about the siege of Storm's End paints Stannis as someone who'd definitely not burn his heir just to get out of being stuck in the snow with only horses to eat.

The situation did not seem desperate enough to do something like that, when he couldn't be sure of the outcome. If he'd know that burning Shireen would teleport him onto the Iron Throne then I can see him doing that, but for a vague promise of the weather probably getting better? Doesn't make sense.

I don't know if Stannis is present for this in the books or not. Certainly he could be--it's not like the characters can't travel. I just imagine that when this happens in the books there is somewhat better reasoning for it. And I imagine this simply for the sake of good storytelling, not because I think Stannis is a good guy.

He was in war with his brother.

It's debatable whether Stannis burned Mance. Regardless, Mance was sentenced to death given he betrayed his vows.

His wife's uncle tried to betray him.

Stannis did not burn people for refusing the fire god! Otherwise he would have ended up burning half his army including his hand. He burned guilty people.

He reached the tipping point in DwD. And yet refused to burn anyone who was not guilty.

Sorry I must have remembered wrong. I could have sworn he was doing that though >.<

Burning a King (Mance) did ZERO for them. Why would burning a child? (Obviously not talking books here)

I put it under "bad writing". It can be argued that maybe Mel considers Mance a "false" king (not to mentiod it's a pretty vaguely defiend concept), so his blood is not valuable, but more probable explanation, imo, is that D&D didn't think it through. Characters have wasted gallons of king's blood with Mance and Maester Aemon, before realizing they might need some of it.

Also not explaining Shireen why she has to die, is a **** move in it's own right.

Burning a King (Mance) did ZERO for them. Why would burning a child? (Obviously not talking books here)

I actually thought they explained why that didn't work pretty well. Jon stole the kill- and the mercy killing robbed the sacrifice of it's power.

Every time Stannis burned or punished someone in the books it was because they committed some crime, at least in his eyes. As the books continue, I'm not sure what crime Shireen could commit for him to be willing to do that.

So from the preview, it (allegedly) melts the snow. And Stannis and his army are going to Winterfell. Is he at Winterfell? or is he just drawing his sword at no one for dramatic effect?

Kind of tough to see how Stannis could take Winterfell, considering they still have no food and their siege weapons were destroyed. Unless the Boltons are destroyed from within (fighting between Ramsay and Roose, or Sansa and Brienne)
By the way, where did Ramsay's men get those highly combustible fire arrows and how did they know which tents had all the food and siege weapons in them? is that just a thing Northerners know?

I think the Boltons are killed off in some way, as stated above, and Sansa reclaims Winterfell. Stannis doesn't take Winterfell because Brienne kills him.

And we can all pretend that this is exactly how GRRM told D&D it would happen.

it is TV, a character like bookstannis is too complex for that (unless you give him his own show).

Non-sense, there's plenty of characters that are at least as equally complex as Stannis on TV. The issue is D&D being too incompetent or simply unwilling to portray complexity. There's plenty of shows deeper than GoT on TV.

thankfully, I doubt that this scene will occur in the books as their farther into the siege of winterfell, and Isn't shireen still at the wall in the books?

Jon is "dead" so nobody is going to stop Mel from killing Shireen. You forget that the whole thing is Mel's idea from the start. Stannis doesn't necessarily have to be there.

It's pretty clear that Shireen gets killed in TWoW, and it was just poorly executed by the show due to the butterfly effect.

Jon is "dead" so nobody is going to stop Mel from killing Shireen. You forget that the whole thing is Mel's idea from the start. Stannis doesn't necessarily have to be there.

It's pretty clear that Shireen gets killed in TWoW, and it was just poorly executed by the show due to the butterfly effect.

If it happens, it will be with the Other's knocking on the gates. I cannot see Stannis coming even close to doing for with anything less.

Stannis use to be one of my favorite characters

Not any more...

If it happens for real (in the books) then Stannis will never be the same to me. What D&D have done with this character is nothing short of unforgivable. It all started with the dark, villian music whenever Stannis' arc began and it has culminated with last nights horrorshow. BRAVO D&D, BRAVO.

Archived