Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

I can forgive the bad CGI, which IMO wasn't that bad to begin with.

I care about the characters I've grown to love over the last decade. The CGI complaints are petty compared to what happened to some of the characters. They aren't even being consistent with their own narrative, not even taking into account the books.

Oh yeah, I also forgot to add "Consumed with guilt about killing his brother with blood magic".

A brother who betrayed him, and he only fully realises his part in it after the fact...

Thinking about it more, Stannis's... deed... is not even a morally wrong thing to do. As presented, Stannis had to either burn Shireen, or let his entire army starve to death. Which would result in Shireen's death anyway. He couldn't turn back, as the Wall didn't have the food to support his 6,000 men (especially not with an extra 5,000 Wildlings there). Even if he could turn back (which he couldn't), he'd still be sacrificing hundreds of men to the cold and hunger and potentially leaving the North permanently in the hands of Roose, all so he wouldn't have to kill his own blood. The narrative clearly presented Mel's solution as one that would work, though it also blatantly portrayed Stannis as evil for it (it's like those stupid fucking Harry Potter fanfics that demonize whoever gets in the way of the author's preferred paring). Like, even if Mel's solution doesn't work, they were already going to die anyway.

But that's the problem. It's like the Ramsay-Sansa scenario: "Well what'd you expect to happen? Ramsay's a sadist and he's married to Sansa, of course he'd rape her". "Well what'd you expect to happen? Stannis's army was about to die and Shireen would die anyway, of course he'd sacrifice her". They shouldn't have been in these situations in the first place. Why did Stannis bring Shireen when she would obviously be safer at the Wall? Why would he burn her for king's blood when Selyse, the descendant of the Gardener kings, is both willing and RIGHT THERE? Why did he march straight to Winterfell without even trying to recruit Northerners after saying he needed them? Why did they cut the Deepwood Motte battle, which would give Stannis access to more king's blood in the form of Asha Yar? Why would he trust Mel at all given her spotty record? How the fuck was Ramsay Sue able to cripple Stannis's entire 6,000-man army with just 20 guys?

It's the same shit as Ramsay-Sansa at Winterfell. Every character acts out of character and several interesting plot lines are cut so D and D can focus on a teenage girl being brutally tortured. Context and characterization are thrown out the window, because shock value.

Combine that with the scenes being extremely clumsy and defying several basic principles of writing (this character is gray, oh wait no he's pure evil, ho wait he's kinda grayish hahaha just kidding watch him torture a child to death), and you have this piece of shit. Plus, THIS is what they thought would be important for Stannis's arc? They cut out his recruitment of the clans, his liberation of DW, his strategy talks with Jon, his preparation for the Battle on the Ice, all for this? A severely altered version of a scene that's not even going to happen until book 6?

It's just extremely shallow and childish.

EDIT:

Not to mention it makes Stannis look like a wimp/idiot. This is the greatest military commander in Westeros, and he can't post competent sentries? He can't recognize the value of recruiting local soldiers who know the land? He can't stop 20 men from destroying 90% of his food supplies, hundreds of his horses, and every single one of his siege engines? He can't point out that BALON IS FUCKING ALIVE? He doesn't know about the Dance of Dragons? Give me a break.

There definitely is a lot of interest! Could be a great summer project, along with my reread once the show's done :)

You down for helping out then? :)

Was thinking about Winds of Winter recently, I'm kinda worried now that when I finally get to read it i'll be visualising the likes of Dinklage and Clarke and those dreadful Sand Snakes in their POVs because it's been so long since Dance, anyone else?

Just wait until the Ollie POV. Newly appointed Lord Commander. Inspired by his riveting role on the show.

Anyone else feel like we should draft a fan letter to GRRM on behalf of his characters being butchered by this show and see how many signatures we can get?

Not that he has any control over the show at this point, but people who don't read the books are going to think this is canon...and that's the most depressing fact of all in this.

Is anyone else ready to pull their hair out after talking to Unsullied friends who defending portraying Trant as a pedophile the same way they defended Sansa's rape? "Of course there is violence against women and pedophilia in Martin's world and on the show!"

Although I agree that both those changes were bad from a storytelling perspective (making Trant so eeevil was pointless, he was an asshole already), but I also must say that terrible things like that do belong in Martin's world if they're done right. It's all about the writing. Obviously D&D don't do it right.

Why did these two moron's get the job to adapt such a big show. It makes no sense.

Lost just burnt itself out(No pun intended here).

I watched it until the end and I wish I hadn't, what a waste of time. I remember all my family and friends slowly stop watching it every season. Now it has been forgotten and most remember it for the plot-hole ridden mess it was.

Will the same happen to GOT? No but they will get more and more flac for their awful "adaption".

I'm not sure. Of my friends who are show-onlies, only one is still watching and loving it; the others stopped watching in season 4 and 5, the last two tuning out after ep. 6.

I'll watch ep. 10. I doubt I'll bother with season 6.

Was thinking about Winds of Winter recently, I'm kinda worried now that when I finally get to read it i'll be visualising the likes of Dinklage and Clarke and those dreadful Sand Snakes in their POVs because it's been so long since Dance, anyone else?

Not me. Very few of the actors match my mind's eye (or ear, in Dinklage's case) for the characters.

Fun fact: D and D throw rape into every other scene. But in all five of Martin's books, in thousands of pages, only two rapes have happened "on-screen". A lot of it occurs off-screen, but it's only briefly mentioned, makes sense when it happens, and is (almost) always given the appropriate weight.

Why did these two moron's get the job to adapt such a big show. It makes no sense.

Lost just burnt itself out(No pun intended here).

I watched it until the end and I wish I hadn't, what a waste of time. I remember all my family and friends slowly stop watching it every season. Now it has been forgotten and most remember it for the plot-hole ridden mess it was.

Will the same happen to GOT? No but they will get more and more flac for their awful "adaption".

I'm not so sure. We still have at least two more series, and seeing how the quality of everything has been in steady decline since s 01...

Also taking into consideration all the corners they've backed themselves into and all the butterflies that will come to bite them in the arse, I think it's not only possible but even likely that in 10 yrs time GoT will indeed be seen as the same pile of rubbish that Lost is .

I can say for the first time, I actually hope they don't ever bring Stoneheart back. She's better left out of this travesty of hell and character assassination.

It'll be either Talisa or Lord Stoneheart as Robb. Because creatively...

When I first read the books in 2014 last year I spent a long time trying to imagine the book characters, with very, very few actors remaining and now on my 3rd read, it's easy. If you want to imagine the book characters, reread I suppose.

If they just had to go there with Stannis doing this, I'd have much rather had a more interesting scene of Jon and Davos at Castle Black arguing about supplies when many soldiers are seen approaching. Who is it? It's the deserters from Stanis' army! When they realized he would burn his own daughter and couldnt even defend his camp from 20 men they knew they were following a poor leader that was going to get them all killed or starved and a fanatic that would burn or hang any of them in an instant. Close up of Davos' reaction when he hears the news. Then Jon's reaction. Now what will Davos do? Much more interesting to me than simply manipulating viewers for many episodes by showing how sweet Shireen is, the fake out by Stannis earlier being kind to her and then the cheap strait forward shock value approach. Not very cool.

@Cas Stark

Subserviant to an evil red witch, not a complex relationship with a misguided zealot. No feelings of duty to Robert, no Proudwing, no Renly's Peach (because of course, in 21st Century Northern Ireland, there were no peaches to be found. Obviously the supermarkets only sell grain and porride for the filthy Irish peasants).

Personally, I wouldn't have mind if Renly had thrown a cucumber at him.. :dunno:

"Look at me eating this phallic object... because I'm gay"

Anyone else feel like we should draft a fan letter to GRRM on behalf of his characters being butchered by this show and see how many signatures we can get?

Not that he has any control over the show at this point, but people who don't read the books are going to think this is canon...and that's the most depressing fact of all in this.

I'm sure he's contractually obliged not to diss the show. However, my only real worry is that he may think the show's changes are what the book readers like.

Nooooooooooooooo!!

Personally, I wouldn't have mind if Renly had thrown a cucumber at him.. :dunno:

"Look at me eating this phallic object... because I'm gay"

Funny you should say, because as I was thinking of how stupid their excuse was for no peach I thought "they could have used an apple or something" as I reaches for a banana and concluded that wouldn't have been out of question for those two.

Archived