Sons of the Harpy = former slaves?

I noticed when the Sons arrived at Daznak's, they were targeting nobles. The former slaves in the crowd hightailed it out of there immediately and, from what I saw, went completely untouched.

When the mass of Harpies come running into the arena, they are dressed in a mixture of their traditional noble garb and the slave garb we see here:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XQLOHdaauHo/maxresdefault.jpg

Perhaps this is why D&D included that hissing scene in episode two. As well as the scene from last season about slaves wanting to return to their masters. As well as Hizdahr's words in this episode about Dany thinking she knows what others want. Perhaps this is what drives Dany out: the people she's there to liberate don't want her there.

I noticed when the Sons arrived at Daznak's, they were targeting nobles. The former slaves in the crowd hightailed it out of there immediately and, from what I saw, went completely untouched.

When the mass of Harpies come running into the arena, they are dressed in a mixture of their traditional noble garb and the slave garb we see here:

Perhaps this is why D&D included that hissing scene in episode two. As well as the scene from last season about slaves wanting to return to their masters. As well as Hizdahr's words in this episode about Dany thinking she knows what others want. Perhaps this is what drives Dany out: the people she's there to liberate don't want her there.

Likely they were targeting former slavers than turned over the Dany's side and embraced her new world. If they were trying a coup for power to restore the old ways, it would be better for them to kill all the Dany sympathisers.

From what I saw in this scene, there were both nobles and commoners (freed slaves?) among the slaves and they were killing both nobles and commoners during the games. It certainly made me question whether the situation in Meereen is as black and white as people usually think it is. I am hoping that it was a deliberate choice which will pay off later.

Likely they were targeting former slavers than turned over the Dany's side and embraced her new world. If they were trying a coup for power to restore the old ways, it would be better for them to kill all the Dany sympathisers.

I'm not sure they can judge the sympathies of former slavers at an event like this. It seem most of the city's nobility was there whether they support Dany's rule or not. Killing off potential allies that have most of the wealth of the city doesn't seem like a sound strategy and, if their coup is successful, they are likely to just create a more fractious society amongst their own kind.

Thinking back to to Mossador in episode two, it's likely he was trying to silence that captured Harpy before a trial could commence and the truth could be revealed. It's possible this is a power play on behalf of the city's poor to regain power solely for themselves. They are not content being merely "former slaves," but want revenge on the whole society that made them slaves to begin with. The attack in episode four could have been retribution for Mossador's execution... It doesn't seem like such an event would call for blowback from the nobility... and we saw how angry those former slaves were with Dany with their hissing...

I saw this discussion on another site after I posted this a few days ago. One other person brought up that whore who is seen twice in collusion with Harpies. What would a whore support the nobility?

Thinking back to to Mossador in episode two, it's likely he was trying to silence that captured Harpy before a trial could commence and the truth could be revealed.

I don't think so. When Mossador and his accomplices go to the Son of the Harpy's cell, the man says: "She doesn't belong here. And no matter how many of your traitors call her 'Mhysa,' she will never be your mother." That clearly implies that he sees himself on a different side to Mossador.

I'm not sure they can judge the sympathies of former slavers at an event like this. It seem most of the city's nobility was there whether they support Dany's rule or not. Killing off potential allies that have most of the wealth of the city doesn't seem like a sound strategy and, if their coup is successful, they are likely to just create a more fractious society amongst their own kind.

Thinking back to to Mossador in episode two, it's likely he was trying to silence that captured Harpy before a trial could commence and the truth could be revealed. It's possible this is a power play on behalf of the city's poor to regain power solely for themselves. They are not content being merely "former slaves," but want revenge on the whole society that made them slaves to begin with. The attack in episode four could have been retribution for Mossador's execution... It doesn't seem like such an event would call for blowback from the nobility... and we saw how angry those former slaves were with Dany with their hissing...

I saw this discussion on another site after I posted this a few days ago. One other person brought up that whore who is seen twice in collusion with Harpies. What would a whore support the nobility?

Seating location can be very powerful symbolically. Those closer to the Queen and King can be former Masters who are more supportive of Hizdar's view work with the new ruler.

I don't think so. When Mossador and his accomplices go to the Son of the Harpy's cell, the man says: "She doesn't belong here. And no matter how many of your traitors call her 'Mhysa,' she will never be your mother." That clearly implies that he sees himself on a different side to Mossador.

But if they operate in cells, the prisoner doesn't Mossador is one of them.

And I think the SofH focus isn't slavery, but nationalism. They want Dany out, and they also want no slavery.

Which means Dany can turn over the control of Mereen to them and get her ass to Westeros

I thought they included that hissing scene to show abolition was a mistake. I know if I was in charge the first thing I would have done is put all those hissing cretins back in chains.

I suppose it's possible for former slaves to be members of the Sons of the Harpy, that hissing scene in Ep2 definitely ties into that. Dany didn't exactly make any friends when she killed one of her freemen ringleaders right in front of a crowd of his fellows. One man's justice is another man's shattered revenge fantasy, and with that fantasy broken, and their messiah taking the side of their former masters, it doesn't take much to look at her in a whole new light.

I think they were definitely hissing at Dany.

I think the show Harpys represent a common feeling amongst much of the populace - slaves, commoners and masters - they want Dany gone. I think it is deliberately set up to mirror what is going on with the faith in Kings Landing - this season is showing us that the commoners are sick of their rulers, all of them.

Westeros is sick of the Lannisters. Ellaria and the Sandsnakes are supposed to represent the people being sick of Doran. Eveyone in Mereen is sick of Dany. The watch will soon be sick of Jon. Even Stannis burning Shirren is supposed to show that his army is sick of him - they just missed some detail. But overall, there is a synergy, the trailer even showed it - when you strip all the shit away (like the rulers) what remains? Something solid - at least that is what all the common people are starting to think, across all of Planetos.

Does it mean that slaves want slavery back, no, not at all. The slaves probably wanted their freedom, they just weren't expecting the price, which is Dany's failed rule.

Exactly this. She is a dragon, not a harpy. The Gischary are older and (within their own cirlces think prouder) culture than the dragon lords - the dragon lords that, once upon a time, enslaved them all under Valyrian rule. Dany is a dragon, she will never be truly welcome in the pyramids of the Harpy.

• 3 weeks later...

The Harpies having some former slaves among there number doesn't of course mean they have the support of the wider population. Its very possible that former slaves could be bribed to join the cause, maybe with the promise of becoming masters themselves when the old order is restored.

Archived