FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015

Alarich

Okay, probably not enough attention to warrant a separate forum (oh, the injustice!....), but it deserves its own thread IMO.

Anyway, in our Group, Germany thrashed CIV yesterday 10-0 and Norway beat Thailand 4-0. Both were rather easy victories and it has me worrying that we'll see more of those really uneven matches - i.e. the decision to have more teams competing just added new cannon fodder rather than credible contestants. Which IMO is a real shame and I'm afraid it that if people will see teams competing there who are clearly nowhere near the necessary level of skill for international competitions, the old stereotypes about wf will come back.

I will also admit that after watching the CL final, the first match of the German team in the WC only a day later looked a bit like slow-motion football but there was actually more time to see, understand and even anticipate what is Happening. So there is that. Although CIV really looked like a bunch of amateurs - I have some hopes for the match against Norway...

Edit for requested title change

I think I agree with everything you said. I watched most of the Norway game, and when I heard that the Thai women were basically amateurs, I felt sorry for them. I watched only the first half of the Germany game, because there really was no point in watching the rest of the slaughter. I hope that the U.S. will have a tougher time against Australia.

And yes, though women soccer/football is often played at reduced speeds compared to men's, at least it's cleaner.

Initially, yes, allowing for more teams will lead to a lot of easy matches. So for this championship, and the next, there will probably be quite a few trashings in the group stages.

However, that's nothing new. When Norway became world champions in 1995, we beat Nigeria 8-0 and Canada 7-0 in the group stages. I can also recall that our handball team have had - and at times still have - matches which can be most accurately described as women vs girls.

Thing is, though, a few of those teams that we have trashed over the years return to be competitors. Like Canada, who are now a lot better at football. Or Angola at handball.

Basically, it gives more contries an incentive to play.

The deflection was a bit unlucky but the marking was very soft to lose the Swedish player by that much at the front post.

Still, despite that Nigeria are miles better than Ivory Coast were yesterday. I was a bit concerned about the general standard of the competition they were so bad. Hopefully they're just a one off.

As I was writing another goal from a fairly poorly defended corner. They don't look great on set pieces.

ETA: It probably doesn't help the Nigerian 'keeper is oddly small. She's having to come away from the goal line before the corner's taken because she can't see over the crowd of players then try to rush back in. It's a bit weird.

More importantly though one of the Swedish players is wearing some sweet boots with a dragon on! I wonder if they come in rugby boots?

Great counter indeed! Have to have Nigeria going onto win this now. Surely got the momentum behind them...

Eta: Spoke too soon! Fair play to Sweden. Not given up yet...

Archived