R+L = J will be the big reveal

WalkinDude

Why wouldnt this happen in the books? There must be a reason George RR Martin introduced him in the books. Even without the show I expected Benjen to return somehow.

Why did GRRM introduce Mycah?

Or Yoren?

Or any other minor character? They are plot devices to give a driving force to other characters. The characters themselves are unimportant and expendable. The characters they affect aren't.

Martin has hundreds of these characters. They are there to give reasons for actions of other characters.

Why did GRRM introduce Mycah?

Or Yoren?

Or any other minor character? They are plot devices to give a driving force to other characters. The characters themselves are unimportant and expendable. The characters they affect aren't.

Martin has hundreds of these characters. They are there to give reasons for actions of other characters.

Mycah to show Joffrey's and the hound's cruel side.

Yoren to tell Ned about Catelyn and to save Arya and get her out of Kingslanding.

Mycah and Yoren both died onscreen, so we are sure about their fate.

And the other characters might still play an important part, the books and show are not finished.

Mycah to show Joffrey's and the hound's cruel side.

Yoren to tell Ned about Catelyn and to save Arya and get her out of Kingslanding.

Mycah and Yoren both died onscreen, so we are sure about their fate.

And the other characters might still play an important part, the books and show are not finished.

But there isn't a need for a return. He served a purpose already. He can, but it isn't vital to the story.

But there isn't a need for a return. He served a purpose already. He can, but it isn't vital to the story.

We don't know what happened to him or what he's been doing, so there's no way we can know if he's vital to the story or not. Maybe we'll find out tonight.

We don't know what happened to him or what he's been doing, so there's no way we can know if he's vital to the story or not. Maybe we'll find out tonight.

I hope not. Some mysteries are only interesting if left unsolved.

My opinion on that. I want to know what happened, but I want to have that want for longer. And actually better not have it resolved. I like it that way. That is why the books -and by extend the show- are interesting and refreshing, because they don't resolve everything. People die without writing a note in their blood with the name and adress of the murderer.

I hope not. Some mysteries are only interesting if left unsolved.

My opinion on that. I want to know what happened, but I want to have that want for longer. And actually better not have it resolved. I like it that way. That is why the books -and by extend the show- are interesting and refreshing, because they don't resolve everything. People die without writing a note in their blood with the name and adress of the murderer.

You want this mystery to remain a little longer ?? come on its already like 20 years longer.

GRRM has said many times that he use to look at sites like ours long ago until it started influencing his writing. He also says everytime that the fans quickly figured out one of his secrets because of said message boards. Everyone knows r+l=j and more importantly GRRM knows that everyone knows. I think because of this a r+l= reveal could happen and not be as big it would seem because 90% of us are just going to say aha! I knew it all along!

I want the reveal just so we can stop talking about it. Yes, it's hugely important and frankly, it's awesome.

But I want to move on to the effects of the whole thing... Jon's parentage is what it is -- now let's find out why that'll be important.

I'm no longer excited by R+L=J (it's just another asoiaf fact to me) but I am super-excited to find out how the whole thing plays out. I don't really want to wait another few years for it.

Maybe I just bore very easily :-)

I want the reveal just so we can stop talking about it. Yes, it's hugely important and frankly, it's awesome.

But I want to move on to the effects of the whole thing... Jon's parentage is what it is -- now let's find out why that'll be important.

I'm no longer excited by R+L=J (it's just another asoiaf fact to me) but I am super-excited to find out how the whole thing plays out. I don't really want to wait another few years for it.

Maybe I just bore very easily :-)

I think that is a good attitude to have....a reasonable way of looking at it.

I don't think GRRM should let the fandom affect his story so I'm glad he quit that years ago. The R,L,J thing was pretty clever but with the internet and groups like this it wasn't going to last long as a secret. I still maintain it would have been far more difficult for individuals to try to figure it out but with the "collective" working on it, it because rather simple.

But, yeah, WHY is Jon's parentage important to the story? That's the only real important thing here....it will be fun to find out why.

As to Benjen: Maybe they'll just reveal he is dead or find a body or some such. He doesn't necessarily have to return....

jom

I think that is a good attitude to have....a reasonable way of looking at it.

I don't think GRRM should let the fandom affect his story so I'm glad he quit that years ago. The R,L,J thing was pretty clever but with the internet and groups like this it wasn't going to last long as a secret. I still maintain it would have been far more difficult for individuals to try to figure it out but with the "collective" working on it, it because rather simple.

But, yeah, WHY is Jon's parentage important to the story? That's the only real important thing here....it will be fun to find out why.

As to Benjen: Maybe they'll just reveal he is dead or find a body or some such. He doesn't necessarily have to return....

jom

Thank you :-)

I agree 100% that with internet, boards, twitter, etc... the secret hasn't been a secret in um, forever. It doesn't take away from the cool-factor of it all -- but it can only be milked for so long before it's just plain boring.

Imo it's time to "reveal it" and move on to what comes next.

Cuz I think what comes AFTER it's acknowledged is gonna be even more awesome!

If Benjen returns, what will he do when Jon gets stabbed? I really hope Benjen doesn't die this season.

It would be very GoT esc to have benjan appear reveal r+l=j and die but i hope hes coming is WW related some how.

I was referring to the primary characters. None of those fall in that category. Though Sansa's actions and desire to be queen resulted in Ned losing his head and the loss of most of her family. Had Sansa not ran to Cersei, she'd have made it home to Winterfell with Arya. Sansa's story is tragic thus far, but all of it is a direct result of her own actions.

Sansa, Arya, Bran, Daenerys, Tyrion and Jon are the primary characters.

If Benjen returns, what will he do when Jon gets stabbed? I really hope Benjen doesn't die this season.

Maybe Benjen has been the supposed "secret" actor that was in Dorne? He want's Doran to pledge his allegiance to Jon Targaryen? His niece and nephew's half brother?

Archived