Boarders Writing A Novel: Part 13

Kyoshi

The perennial corollary is - if social media isn't useful, what is?

I think social media can be useful, but like all other methods of promotion it's not magic. When I started in this business, I naively thought that if someone with a large Twitter following favorably referred to a book, that book would then sell. Three years later, I know that Twitter followers can be obtained through a variety of means, and I'm not just talking about paying for dummy or sock puppet followers. For example, I can go around following others in hopes of a follow-back, which happens as often as not, and if I do that enough times I rack up a good many followers. That doesn't mean those folks really care what I think about anything, or that they even pay attention to my tweets, but to the outside observer, well, I have a good deal of social media influence! **

In my view, the inescapable fact is that there are a lot of books out there, and it's hard to make yours stand out. You can write the best book ever to come off a printing press, promote the hell out of it, rack up reviews that read like the songs of angels, and still sell a grand total of 22 copies. I don't know what makes one novel a hit and another a flop, and to be honest I don't think anyone else does, either. If they did, every single book would be a bestseller.

**I don't have this, by the way. I have about 30 Twitter followers, about a third of whom are people I suspect are waiting for a follow-back that will never come.

Social Media means that people are more likely to know your book exists.

It doesn't mean, necessarily, they CARE.

But that foot in the door is important because otherwise, they won't care and won't know it exists.

On a basic level Twitter followers won't help you. You need an engagement with said followers so that they're followers actually READING your posts.

And interested in what you're saying.

Which is why I suggest a page you regularly post on.

Just a question: is it hard to get book published in your country? Are publishers willing to invest in debiutants?

I think that where I live, it's not a big problem. Personally I know two persons who are authors and sold ~ few 1000 books...

Just a question: is it hard to get book published in your country? Are publishers willing to invest in debiutants?

I think that where I live, it's not a big problem. Personally I know two persons who are authors and sold ~ few 1000 books...

My country doesn't do fantasy at all. Only one small press (who rejected me), and no domestic agents interested in the genre at all. Which means hunting overseas. :(

One thing I don't think new authors can underestimate is the importance of getting your book reviewed and interviews right out of the gate. If people are to know what your book is about and whether or not it will appeal to them, the information about what people think of it needs to be available right out of the gate.

For example with Esoterrorism (which just came out today!)

Interview with Shadow Rising

And the first review of it:

Frank Errlington review

It doesn't have to be universally praised but people should be able to get an idea of what your book is about by another source. That's just my two-cents.

Summer is underway for me and I start the writing institute I teach tomorrow, but it's prime writing time for me. Great thing is that I just finished the last of three dangling projects. I blogged about it all over at my blog. Here's the link.

http://johnzeleznik.blogspot.com/2015/07/epic-summer.html

Sending my agent the three pitches tonight. I think I want to write all three, but we'll see what he says.

One thing I don't think new authors can underestimate is the importance of getting your book reviewed and interviews right out of the gate. If people are to know what your book is about and whether or not it will appeal to them, the information about what people think of it needs to be available right out of the gate.

Finding credible reviewers who are willing to even look at an indie book is the challenge there. That's been discussed endlessly on this board so I guess not much more can be said that hasn't already.

Finding credible reviewers who are willing to even look at an indie book is the challenge there. That's been discussed endlessly on this board so I guess not much more can be said that hasn't already.

One suggestion I've learned is the best thing to do is not go to the reviewers per se but your fellow authors. Cultivate relationships with them and their readership and do the same in return.

Well, finally done the science fiction side project I began in November. It was the hardest book I have yet to write, normally I can crush out 2500-5k a day with no problem, and that did not happen with this one. That being said, it was an excellent diversion, allowing me to return to my fantasy with fresh eyes. So with the Inescapable Us done, clocking in at 217k in its first draft, I can come home.

As a side note, I'd like to publically thank RBPL. You read my book and returned it with some good points, all of which I am addressing now. As I mentioned before in my email, I did not want to really dig into your thoughts until I returned to In Scars for fear of getting distracted. I'm glad I didn't because the science fiction really took some doing.

In regards to the discussion earlier in the thread about character deaths, it's not shocking at this point. The deaths need to serve a purpose. Saying that its the way things are, that life drops death unexpectedly, is a cop-out (as was mentioned by someone upthread). GRRM has almost ruined it, but there is a real rush suddenly to kill off characters and it seems like the death comes before the purpose of their life. And remember, if you rob a reader of their favorite character because you just want someone to die or to provide a shock you will alienate them for no reason. Even serving a purpose killing a character should not be taken lightly.

In regards to the discussion earlier in the thread about character deaths, it's not shocking at this point. The deaths need to serve a purpose. Saying that its the way things are, that life drops death unexpectedly, is a cop-out (as was mentioned by someone upthread). GRRM has almost ruined it, but there is a real rush suddenly to kill off characters and it seems like the death comes before the purpose of their life. And remember, if you rob a reader of their favorite character because you just want someone to die or to provide a shock you will alienate them for no reason. Even serving a purpose killing a character should not be taken lightly.

I agree with you on that.

Thanks Neumond and Charles, your advice really helped. I can see a far more clear picture now, and have also finally got something down in writing.

Something I found strangely helpful was drawing : certain scenes, places, and characters. Drawing about them, sort of like a concept art, was a process that helped me visualise things which in turn led to jotting them down properly.

Also, I wanted to know what problems might arise for me ahead in the writing process while writing a science fantasy story ( I have come up with a basic method to explain their coexistence, but still would want to know ).

That's good.

I've found a couple of things true in science fiction.

1. You need to be VERY clear with your visual images.

2. You need to not bog the setting down in technical or background details only you care about.

Does it constitute a plot problem when your WIP suddenly stops dead in its tracks and you begin again? Having some difficulty with mine at the moment. Have the ideas, the characters, but it seems to stop round about after the main characters meet each other. I don't know if this is because I am writing something that I am not familiar with. (Detective work in early 20th century fantasy land) Or if I'm writing the detective part because I was inspired by Ashes to Ashes and Wolf Among Us and something in the back of my head is second guessing my inspiration....

Does it constitute a plot problem when your WIP suddenly stops dead in its tracks and you begin again? Having some difficulty with mine at the moment. Have the ideas, the characters, but it seems to stop round about after the main characters meet each other. I don't know if this is because I am writing something that I am not familiar with. (Detective work in early 20th century fantasy land) Or if I'm writing the detective part because I was inspired by Ashes to Ashes and Wolf Among Us and something in the back of my head is second guessing my inspiration....

I don't know if I would jump right to it being a plot problem. If you have the general plan and they stall after they meet one another it may be more of a motivation thing. Do you know each of their goals? Who or what is supposed to spark them to action?

Also: How long have you been "off" and do you have time to work on something related but not the same? After 3 months of my characters refusing to speak to me, I actually got my web site going and started a plan for hyping it. What do you know - now I'm back to writing! Obviously, nobody's the same but hopefully you can find your path soon!

If it stops dead when the main characters meet each other, it sounds like you need some inter personal conflict.

Ex lovers. Past betrayal/backstabbing (real or perceived). Racial/caste/educational prejudice. Intense professional rivalry. (off the top of my head... you can probably do better)

Give them something to overcome (or not?) as breathing characters while solving the crime. These conflicts can also provide stumbling blocks for them along the way.

I'm afraid I'm one of those people who can only work on one project at a time.

I have their goals down. The investigator is trying to solve the murder of a wealthy industrialist's daughter while trying to find connections between this murder and the others before it, as previously those murdered were people who wouldn't be missed. The other character has come to claim her father's body and find out why he was killed. Originally it was what happened to her sister, but I thought 17 years without doing anything about that might've stretched belief a bit as it's stated she's from one of the wealthiest families in the world.

These characters meet after she discovers a letter addressed to the investigator. They know each other from before, have a past together. Basically, the woman was the richer of the two and helped him set up his private investigation business, but then left the country to return home. They parted on bad terms and because the investigator had no money his business went bust and he joined the reform of the city watch.

Ambitious or insane? I have Ana outline for 11 novels that all take place in the same world, but over thousands of years. It's earth as we know it and follows some young boys growing up in the 50s in backwoods south USA. Then after a few novels it progresses to apocalypse, and several stages of it over a few books. Then the world gets a facelift and life begins anew. But there was a Noah's arc situation so people survived when the gods didn't want them to, so now people are back to reap the new world, that the gods built to meet their own wants.

Archived