NBA Finals 2015 - Lebron vs. The Warriors vs. MJ

Jaime L

LeBron won't get the Finals MVP if they lose, that's just not done in the NBA ever. Only time when it happened was in the very first year of the award when Jerry West scored freaking 38 PPG in the series and scored 42 points and had a triple-double in Game 7 while playing with a hamstring injury. It will be Curry most likely, he's bound for a big scoring game and his stats aren't that bad actually. Yeah, he's been subpar, but he's getting trapped basically on every play and he still has 23.5 PPG on 54.5 TS%, and if Green and Barnes weren't shooting so badly he'd have racked an awful lot of assists too, he's getting them wide-open looks all the time. Sure, Lebron's been better overall, but the gap isn't large enough to overcome the tradition of giving the award to a player of the winning team.

If the Cavs had Love and Irving (even 80% Irving), then they could play a normal 9 man rotation, and have that brutal defensive squad as just one look to throw at GS. Love especially provided a lot of flexibility, in that he can provide both floor spacing and rebounding. This would mean that their offense would actually get better when Thompson and Mozgov sit, and they could better counter Golden State's super small lineups. If Love + Thompson + Lebron are in, they still have the three tallest guys on the floor, but also can better cope with the Warriors speed and switching.

Irving is less of a good fit vs GS, IMO, but he could definitely lead the second unit, and run the offense at times so Lebron doesn't have to be both Plan A and Plan B. I remember at one point in game 4 the Cavs inbounded the ball to Delly, and he immediately passed it to Lebron to walk it up the floor. It's not that Lebron can't do that, of course he can. But it was just emblematic of the fact that Lebron has to do EVERYTHING for this team.

Yeah even for just the versatility and rest it would afford them it would be huge. Irving could handle a lot of the Lebron ball-handling/creation duties just so he wouldn't have to do it for 45 minutes a game. Hell if you had Love, you could run the offense through him as a point-forward the way Minnesota used to.

When Cleveland shut down Golden State for 2 straight games, Golden State could counter with their killer small ball lineup. What can Cleveland do to counter that? Nothing, roster wise. They're stuck with these 6-7 guys come hell or highwater. Just gotta hope the extra day of rest gives Lebron, Delly and co. the energy they visibly didn't have in game 4 to chase around all of Golden State's 3 point shooters.

I am not sweating a damn thing. The man who had his ass wiped by the King made these predictions.

Cavs don't have a thing to worry about. Littlefinger was imparted with this knowledge years ago.

Damn, I forgot about the prophecy. Impressive work, LFITA. You've absolutely nailed the results up to this point.

On a related note, I'm relieved that my 2 bowls of Skyline Chili 3 Way Challenge is off the table. No one wanted to see that.

What can Cleveland do to counter that?

Put Wiggins in!

Too soon?

Just gotta hope the extra day of rest gives Lebron, Delly and co. the energy they visibly didn't have in game 4 to chase around all of Golden State's 3 point shooters.

Yeah I hope so. I mean, for the Cavs there is one thing to take heart in: if they can hit 1/3rd of their 3 pointers (9/27) instead of their atrocious 4/27, then that's 15 extra points and this is at the very least anybody's game, and quite possibly a Cavs win. I don't expect Delly/Shump/JR to be lights out, but considering that most of those shots were pretty open, hitting on 1/3 is definitely doable.

Am I incorrect in my thinking that in hockey, the MVP is for the entire playoffs? That makes a difference.

You are correct, and it is the only such award among the big four sports leagues in that aspect (in contrast to the NBA, Super Bowl MVP and World Series MVP).

Steve Kerr is being big liar to media...

I think it's kind of ridiculous that any media member would expect Kerr to tell the truth in that situation. I mean, if coaches are actually expected to tell the truth, it would just mean that they have to give useless coachspeak answers all the time. Pregame press conferences are a pretty stupid idea anyway.

I think it's kind of ridiculous that any media member would expect Kerr to tell the truth in that situation. I mean, if coaches are actually expected to tell the truth, it would just mean that they have to give useless coachspeak answers all the time. Pregame press conferences are a pretty stupid idea anyway.

Agreed. They played a little soundbite of him on KNBR's morning show where he basically said answering that question truthfully would be like knocking on David Blatt's door and dropping off the gameplan.

LeBron won't get the Finals MVP if they lose, that's just not done in the NBA ever. Only time when it happened was in the very first year of the award when Jerry West scored freaking 38 PPG in the series and scored 42 points and had a triple-double in Game 7 while playing with a hamstring injury. It will be Curry most likely, he's bound for a big scoring game and his stats aren't that bad actually. Yeah, he's been subpar, but he's getting trapped basically on every play and he still has 23.5 PPG on 54.5 TS%, and if Green and Barnes weren't shooting so badly he'd have racked an awful lot of assists too, he's getting them wide-open looks all the time. Sure, Lebron's been better overall, but the gap isn't large enough to overcome the tradition of giving the award to a player of the winning team.

I'd say this will be the ultimate test of that sensibility. If Lebron doesn't win it this year, we'll never see it. It's very possible you're right. But, man, the award is "MVP of the Finals" and there's no question the single most valuable player on the court, by far, has been Lebron. It's not even close. The Cavs have no business winning even 2 games in this series against one of the all-time most dominant teams ever with that supporting cast. And Lebron's also been putting up big time conventional numbers to impress voters.

You do make a good case for Curry however. Even when he's not scoring, the attention the Cavs D devotes to him (constant double-teams to force him to give up the ball) create opportunities for other guys. Plus the gravity that attaches to him at all times is a constant strain on a defense.He's more valuable than his stats make him appear. But still if the Warriors win the series it'll be a total team effort. The fact the Cavs are even remotely in it is entirely due to one man. If you're going to keep calling it MVP of the Finals, there's only one choice.

I think Blatt might be suspended for the year if he did that. Like seriously, the NBA didn't like it when Pop rested guys in the regular season, but in the Final? The knives would come out. Plus, the Cavs bench players getting meaningful minutes would be a crime in and of itself.

Yeah, I know it's not happening. NBA would probably make sure that the Cavs don't win any more games. Ever...

But it really should happen.

No question. He's been the only Warriors player who has been completely unfazed by the spotlight of the finals. And he's played the best defense of anyone on Lebron. He's been a poor man's Kawhi for them.

But I'd still give the MVP to Lebron.

Bah! We all know the real MVP is Riley Curry.

define good JR game, and tell me why you think it will happen. there is zero historical precedent for it.

Just a game where he's unconscious from behind the arc. It's not unheard of for him to put up 20+ points. I just feel like this game is really key for the Dubs. This will likely be as rested as the Cavs will be for the rest of the series.

here is the thing about JR. he has never preformed well under pressure. And he will be a non factor for the rest of these Finals. he might, MAYBE, hit a big shot once, but he will NOT have a 20 point game.

here is the thing about JR. he has never preformed well under pressure. And he will be a non factor for the rest of these Finals. he might, MAYBE, hit a big shot once, but he will NOT have a 20 point game.

Yeah, I don't think it's likely. I hope you are right. I will defer to your ex-Knicks expertise.

Archived