Fate of Jon Snow might differ from Books

D2procon

More confirmation...

Game of Thrones Director: "Jon Snow Is Dead"

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-director-jon-snow-dead-204500697-us-weekly.html

“He is a consummate professional,” the director told THR. “It wasn’t unlike the Red Wedding where everyone gets attached to people when you work with them for such a long time. You really grow quite fond of each other. You’re family. It was a lot of sadness on set… I took all of the extras aside prior to shooting the sequence and we read the Night's Watch creed together, because I wanted them to feel like they are part of it. Without them being involved, it wouldn't have worked as well. I wanted the scene to happen rather quickly, where it didn't hang at all. That it would happen before you know it.”

It would just be such shitty writing, on the part of Martin and of the producers to kill Jon now. I think the whole "Jon Snow is dead" talk is similar to the "The Hound is dead" from the books. He's dead, it doesn't mean he won't be brought back to life.

Also, I should add: I think the producers are getting exactly what they wanted. Book fans have long decided that Jon isn't really dead, so how can they make it so even the book fans are questioning their convictions? Be so heavy handed with the "Jon Snow is dead" talk. And that's exactly what is happening.

I truly feel that 'Jon Snow' is really dead, but 'Azor Azhai' will be resurrected by Mel and her fire god. Relieved of his oath to the NW, this new actor (perhaps the role is too big for small Kit) will take Mel, the Wildings, and Davos and take revenge first upon Winterfell.

Once the Boltons have fed the ever burning watch fires, Davos will head off to find Rickon and rally the Far North for AA. Sansa, Theon, Brienne and Pod will be in charge of defending Winterfell as AA and Mel ride to rally the rest of the North.

LF brings the Vale knights up to Winterfell, combining the strength of the North and the Vale against the White Walkers. Brienne gets word to Jaime and he leave Kings Landing and Cersei's problems to come join the biggest band of brothers ever assembled.

I do think there will be a new actor in the 'Jon Snow' character reborn.

That's true. They can always say, we did say Jon Snow is dead. Jon Targaryen is now in our series. Clever play on words.

Except that Kit has said he won't be back for Season 6 and they had a farewell party. Casting a new actor to play "Jon Targaryen" is just very weird and unnecessary.

That's the one thing I don't jive with. Why a new actor? I wouldn't like that change. It's a little too late in the game to bring in a new actor to replace major character for 5 seasons. Even if "technically" Jon Snow is dead.

And who cares if they had a farewell party etc. That could all be lies.

Yeah, I really don't know what to make of what would narratively make sense (Jon or some form of Jon playable by Kit being alive) vs what they're saying. They're all so adamant in what they're saying that, as a longtime book reader convinced that there was no way Jon was dead, I am now doubting myself (which someone mentioned is probably exactly what they want). I just can't believe GRRM would be that bad of a storyteller, to go against what the narrative requires. (Basically, what was the point of Jon's parentage being such a big mystery? If he's dead, who cares?) No other deaths left such plot holes.

One thing that I haven't seen talked about at all, at least in the various articles I've read, is this. The theory about his parentage is commonly known. If it's true, Mel doesn't need the remnants of the Shireen sacrifice to gain power. She'll gain tons of power with the kings blood now gushing out into the snow.

Previously, I would have said that that's how she's able to gain the necessary power to resurrect him. Now I'm wondering if she uses that power for some other purpose. It's not as narratively strong, but if Kit/Jon aren't coming back, it's a possibility. :/

the dragon that will wake from the stones is Jon snow..it might not even be Mel's magic that wakes him, it could be the magic of the wall itself or may be some form of contact with the white walkers..we know from the books cold hands is a good white so it is very possible Jon could return as one (star wars choosen one ends up being the darth vader who eventually kills the bad guy) and end them from within

It really would make zero sense if Jon stays dead after how Stannis' story played out. He had all this story build up and he sacrifices Shireen and he loses everything and dies. If Shireen's death does not buy Jon's life, what the hell is the point of the whole Stannis story? What is Mel good for? And why does she go back to the Wall instead of just back to Asshai or something. If they're telling the truth about Jon being gone they are making a huge mistake.. After everything GRRM has said about Jon I'm pretty sure he won't stay dead. Jon is needed for the story at the wall.

I don't think Jon's death has anything to do with how Stannis' storyline played out.

The whole point of the Stannis story (on the show,) was to show the cost of being obdurate to the point of foolishness.

His greed for the Iron Throne was such, that he willingly spawned a shadow baby with Melisandre to kill his own little brother, killed three more of his competition with blood magic, then killed his brother-in-law, sacrificed his only child to R'hllor, then upon seeing he'd lost his wife to suicidal grief and learning that Melisandre had deserted him, still marched the remnant of his depleted army to their deaths to fight the Boltons.

Stannis, Selyse & Mel sacrificing Shireen cannot "buy Jon's life" because she was killed to save Stannis' army from dying in the snow - as they weren't able to march forwards to Winterfell, or backwards to The Wall. It worked. Their way ahead was made clear by R'Hllor - according to Mel and Stannis' army did make it to Winterfell. Only to be slaughtered by the Bolton's larger army though.

As much as I want Jon to live on the show too, (he's my favourite character in ASOIAF) I don't think Kit Harington or the show runners are lying to us when they say Jon's really dead. He's gone.

Though I can also see, it would make sense for D&D to have Mel play a part in Jon's recovery on the show - as this is the only explanation for why Mel abandons Stannis to come back to The Wall, when she didn't leave him in the books.

She could prove her worth as a Red Priestess yet. Her powers are stronger at The Wall and she too has a connection with Ghost remember. So they could have her free him, in time for Jon to be able to warg in to him and save his soul, while she works to heal his wounds. Just a thought..

Whatever happens, I agree that Jon Snow's story does not end here. In the books at least.

Long time reader, I don't post much but season 5 finale was pretty major and of course the speculations about Jon Snow are rampant.

I dunno. I just don't see how he wargs into ghost. I mean, at least in the shows, there is no indication he even has the ability to warg, let alone do it right before he dies.

And the shows creators are sounding pretty adamant that Kit is done.

Only hope here is Melissandre. Maybe she can someone resurrect him with (the black magic was never used after killing sacrificing Stannis daughter correct)? into a different body.

So that would also explain kit not returning, it would be Jon Snow in other body perhaps?

Enlighten me please? I'm really bummed out here!!

I think millions are bummed out. I agree: all this announcing that he is really, really dead is strange in every way. I can't even envision an end battle without Jon. Now if he comes back in another body: well, that just doesn't work for me. Nevertheless, at this moment, they have convinced me he is gone.

I truly feel that 'Jon Snow' is really dead, but 'Azor Azhai' will be resurrected by Mel and her fire god. Relieved of his oath to the NW, this new actor (perhaps the role is too big for small Kit) will take Mel, the Wildings, and Davos and take revenge first upon Winterfell.

. . .

LF brings the Vale knights up to Winterfell, combining the strength of the North and the Vale against the White Walkers. Brienne gets word to Jaime and he leave Kings Landing and Cersei's problems to come join the biggest band of brothers ever assembled.

I do think there will be a new actor in the 'Jon Snow' character reborn.

I just can't see any of the Lannisters except Jaime fighting the WW. Cersei would never, ever get behind that until she saw them on her doorstep.

Put it this way....

If Jon Snow is dead then it is the ultimate irony as there is no longer ANY cliffhanger as the ending is OBVIOUS it will be dany + dragons vs white walkers.

zzzzzzzz

good point, unless somehow another 'hero/antihero' gets born out of this mess.

I just wonder if people who think Jon is really dead either understand what makes storytelling good or if they think David and Dan (and George) suck that badly.

We understand, but the adamant statements from the inner circle have us questioning ourselves.

Kit looked really sad in the interview I saw.

I think the story is so full of holes you could push the golden gate bridge through it and a hundred dragons wing to wing.

Dany cannot defeat WW by herself, even with two other dragon riders.

And what happens with Longclaw???

And as others have pointed out: what was the point of all the endless forshadowing???

Do people reincarnate in this series? Is the long night going to last 20 years? Is a 40 year old Dany finally going to make it across the narrow sea?

Jamie would be about 60 by that time.

Arya in her mid thirties?

This can't work.

I know narrative theory. Nothing about any of this adds up.

If D&D are forcing Kit to lie, they will get the worse reputation ever.

And why make Stannis' death ambiguous while making Jon's certain? And where is Ghost?

Blech. Does anyone have the antidote to this addiction?

the dragon that will wake from the stones is Jon snow..it might not even be Mel's magic that wakes him, it could be the magic of the wall itself or may be some form of contact with the white walkers..we know from the books cold hands is a good white so it is very possible Jon could return as one (star wars choosen one ends up being the darth vader who eventually kills the bad guy) and end them from within

Yes Dilshan! I agree with you that "the dragon that will wake from the stones is Jon Snow" and that "it could be the magic of The Wall itself" which heals him! :)

I've always been inclined to believe that Jon Snow's body will be taken to the ice cells beneath The Wall, (they won't have time to burn him, as all hell will break loose when the faithful NW & wildlings who were about to go to Winterfell with Jon, find out he's been murdered.) In the ensuing fight, his body will be taken to the cells - where he will be healed by the powerful (ice?) magic the CotF created it with and 'born again' in the ice; the way that Danaerys was 'born again' in the fire.

Several things point to this:

1. Ned Stark told Jon Snow in season 1 that he has "Stark blood running through his veins" and we all know that Bran 'the Builder' Stark built The Wall, so there may be an ancestral claim in the magic there that can heal him and only him, because if he is Lyanna Stark & Rhaegar Targaryen's son and therefore TPTWP, "his is the song of ice and fire" so the prophecy will come true.

2. Dany’s vision in the House of the Undying, of "the blue rose growing in the chink of ice” likely represents Jon Snow (son of the blue winter rose - Lyanna Stark) growing stronger being in (an ice cell beneath) The Wall.

3. As a true Stark - evidenced by Jon's ability to warg in to his direwolf Ghost - a creature of the North and the Old Gods, just like Arya and Bran can; then ice is a protector of his family line. Like Ned's Valyrian sword 'Ice.'

4. Maester Aemon (Targaryen) told Sam before he died, "Lord Snow could not have known, but I should have seen it. Fire consumes, but cold preserves. The Wall…” So by putting Jon's body in an ice cell beneath The Wall, it preserves it but because of the magic in The Wall, he won't become a Wight - because The Wall was created with spells which repel the power of The Others.

Thoughts?

Archived