Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

the slitherin' episode.   it's a subgenre.  creepy brain invader bugs.  couldn't be avoided.  

so the scarback from way back, the mummy priest in the mine, his skin-message said he fought the devil and came back.  Back to the mine where his peeps were, supposedly, which means the devil was elsewhere on arkyn, so..... if those devilish bugs are infesting his once-upon-a-time home that means he brought them back with him, maybe for study, maybe because they were controlling his mind and making him take them to new feeding grounds, or his arkyn enemies bombed his mine-home with this nasty bio-weapon as a reprisal for the scarbacks' assault.

This implies the green liquid is the devil influence.  If Klyhen is supposed to be our anti-hero he probably knows this, and is using the devil power to.... get 'er done, to be superhuman whilst he needs to, and then.....   he hopes to ultimately be saved by Dutch, the way he taught her the wasp and the bear save each other.   He hopes she'll be there to pull him back from the edge of green madness.   Or some variant. 

On DarkMatter I'm ready to be confused by the two similar looking off-ship Brunettes of Power who are looking to mess with things.   One apparently gave birth to the underage crew member and wants her back?; the other has the new prison escapee guy as her contact/asset?   Uhhhhhhh...... OK.    I'm poised for something to happen.

I, like many here, prefer Killjoys over Dark Matter, overall, but this week, Dark Matter was better.

Killjoys wasnt bad, but it was rushed. Interesting development in the plot and character interractions and evolution, but it felt rushed anyways. But I trust them to deliver as the season progress.

As for Dark Matter, I must say there is, at least to me, an obvious amelioration in the writing this (beginning of) season. And even though this episode treated previously used themes of the characters, it still was very enjoyable, and the new trio in the Raza brings up interesting dynamics. As for Five, yeah, she's a boss ! I must say though, Two (Portia) starts to annoy me... but curious to see where they'll take the character. (Actually, I prefer caling the characters by their real names now, except for Five, who's name I cant remember, but for the others, I have more ease remembering "Marcus Boone", "Ryo Tetsudo" and "Portia Lin" that Two, Three and Four.)

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

On DarkMatter I'm ready to be confused by the two similar looking off-ship Brunettes of Power who are looking to mess with things.   One apparently gave birth to the underage crew member and wants her back?; the other has the new prison escapee guy as her contact/asset?   Uhhhhhhh...... OK.    I'm poised for something to happen.

AFAIK there is one "off-ship brunette of power" and it is Alicia Reynaud, who has Arax Nero (one of the prison escapees) as her "asset" on board the Raza and who is connected in some way to Five ("Hello Pumpkin"). That she is Five's mother is speculation, and allthough her reaction implies familiarity to Five there doesn't seem to be any (motherly or otherwise) love lost.

53 minutes ago, Arkash said:

As for Dark Matter, I must say there is, at least to me, an obvious amelioration in the writing this (beginning of) season. And even though this episode treated previously used themes of the characters, it still was very enjoyable, and the new trio in the Raza brings up interesting dynamics. As for Five, yeah, she's a boss ! I must say though, Two (Portia) starts to annoy me... but curious to see where they'll take the character. (Actually, I prefer caling the characters by their real names now, except for Five, who's name I cant remember, but for the others, I have more ease remembering "Marcus Boone", "Ryo Tetsudo" and "Portia Lin" that Two, Three and Four.)

Two would not want to be Portia Lin though; this was established in the first season and underscored in the latest episode, where the "nurture vs nature" thing seems to come down firmly on "nurture" in the case of Two. The most marked difference in attitude and ethics was with Two, while Three and Four were still recognisable.

What I found interesting in Two this week had nothing to do with the old memories though: she was mourning for one. I found that strangely touching, particularly because she also regretted that they she was accusing him of being the traitor - that was the last time they met. I guess that Two and/or Three will want to go after Moss' killers.

Five's real name is apparently Emily, though her orphan friends called her Das in S1.

• 2 weeks later...

Got caught up with both shows.

I think someone else expressed this feeling, but I have to admit that I didn't realize how much I needed this type of TV show in my life. Sure they're not the greatest, and part of me wishes that they cut one, and give its budget to the other so we could see a truly kick-ass show, but I like both well enough, and honestly, I don't know which one I would pick to cut if necessary. I like the characters in Killjoys more, but Dark Matter has a more interesting greater arc. Considering their look and feel, they could almost be set in the same universe (the FTL travel in DM is the only thing that separates the two).

Both shows have had some Stargate alumni, though DM has shown way more of David Hewlett and Torri Higginson. (and lets not forget Mike Dopud). Seeing them makes me miss the Stargate shows. :( (A re-watch of those to come soon)

My main complaint with DM right now is the title. Killjoys - easy, straightforward, and you know why it was chosen almost immediately. Dark Matter, after more than one season I'm still not sure why it's called that. I suppose it fits with the constant theme of weekly mystery plots. I think it has to do with the key that Five possesses (so maybe actual dark matter comes into play) and/or it relates to all the main characters as they are "dark".  

Man, I love Killjoys so much. While last weeks episode was just ok, I really liked this week's episode. Sure, the who done it part of the story was predictable, but I thought that it did a great job giving us an insight into The Nine, as well as moving both plots (the Company being nefarious and the whole Kline deal) forward. I also liked the ending, even though we had the oh so overdone "you're can't tell your friends" thing, I liked it, but that could have just been because I really like Potter and Johnny together.

Haven't watched Dark Matter lately, just haven't felt motivated as of late. Has it gotten more intriguing?

Funny... for season one, I prefered Killjoys over Dark Matter, but I must say, so far in season 2, Dark Matter is better... but I trust Killjoys, as they did for the first season, to kick things a hell lot in the second half of the season. 

Although... I havent seen the latest Killjoys yet and from what I gather, it was a blast ! Let's see that ! 

This weed's episode of Killjoys was pretty good. The Dark Matter episode was also solid.

So when One died, I thought that at least the actor will still be around. Guess they decided to take him off the show completely. But it was interesting that Two did not hesitate to kill Corso. Maybe there's more versions of him, so we'll see him again.

On 26/07/2016 at 3:29 PM, Corvinus said:

Considering their look and feel, they could almost be set in the same universe (the FTL travel in DM is the only thing that separates the two).

Well, now we have confirmation that the J definitely doesn't have FTL communication, with Khlyen being the exception that proves the rule. I'd guess the same is true of FTL travel; Khlyen's ship obviously has it to cross the cluster in a matter of days, but that's probably exceptional.

Dark Matter's  "Big Hair Episode"  featured successful hair enlargement for several characters, and increased range for the android actress (going from "none" to "some").   I never liked the drone-voice, anti-personality android they started her off as because that's just not future-correct: the first thing android designers will address will be making sure their "products" feel human and interact in a way that blends in and mirrors human movement and speech, or else nobody will buy that model.  So the future simply won't contain the crappy style "I'm a bland machine!" android she portrayed up till now.   It was a dumb choice.  The change is welcome is what I'm saying.   I'm interested in seeing more of the refugee android community (RAC) cutting out a niche for themselves apart from service to humans.

And bringing back the Jace Corso character yet again hasn't even started getting tough yet.  First they can say there's another teleporter copy of him somewhere from a past use of that long-distance-travel machine, then they can say his rich family had a similar clone made as a general precaution backup, and then it starts getting unlikely he'd resurrect again after that.  Also, when this one wakes up there can be a problem with the defrosting process that leaves him with amnesia, which allows him to rejoin the group as the sympathetic version of himself.   Ta-da.

Killjoys is intent on giving us "The Season of Shit."   Their main focus has shifted away from season 1's believable character development chit-chat that pushed the plot through interrogation-based "I need to know this about you" motivations which seemed very natural.   They've gone from that to this year's fixation: including the word shit as often as possible.  I've noticed that this is making the show shittier, like some of the word's use clings to the product and starts to stink things up, you know?  And it can't help syndication chances, though they probably don't believe they've got a "shit's chance" of getting syndicated anywhere anyways, so might as well keep shitting up the scripts they seem to have decided.   Gotta go with your strengths.

The Death Fog seemed like an incomplete idea without granting DNA immunity to those you want to outlive the fog and be there to reclaim the planet afterwards once the invasion force has been fogged to death.   Maybe it was a work in progress still, or the plan was to evacuate the citizenry first and then blast the invaders with fog as a parting gift.

Klyhen sure sees it as a big deal that 1 guy is immune to the goo.  Is he planning on infecting EVERYONE with the green goo or something????    Artificial Instant Upjump Evolution for the human species?   Up till now it's looked like Green was only for the select few, a special cult of initiated 6th Level weirdos, but now he's worried that one guy's immunity might change.... his whole plan?   Odd puzzle piece to try and fit in.

24 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

The Death Fog seemed like an incomplete idea without granting DNA immunity to those you want to outlive the fog and be there to reclaim the planet afterwards once the invasion force has been fogged to death.   Maybe it was a work in progress still, or the plan was to evacuate the citizenry first and then blast the invaders with fog as a parting gift.

Klyhen sure sees it as a big deal that 1 guy is immune to the goo.  Is he planning on infecting EVERYONE with the green goo or something????    Artificial Instant Upjump Evolution for the human species?   Up till now it's looked like Green was only for the select few, a special cult of initiated 6th Level weirdos, but now he's worried that one guy's immunity might change.... his whole plan?   Odd puzzle piece to try and fit in.

On the Death Fog, Potter's mom stated that she wanted to make the planet unlivable. So she was going to ambush the invaders with the fog, she was thinking of unleashing it prior to that, to make the invaders not want the planet. Also the fog was more of a terraforming agent than a virus, even if she tried to "cure" herself of it, so I'm not sure how the local population could have been made immune to it. Plus if there was some sort of immunity, the invaders would have attempted to get it themselves.

On Khlein's plan - I think it's related to this big war that's coming, and he is doing his own thing, just like Potter's mom was. Since Daven served in the military in a different system, Khlein is probably worried that these invaders will find a way to oppose the green goo stuff using the research done on Daven.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I never liked the drone-voice, anti-personality android they started her off as because that's just not future-correct: the first thing android designers will address will be making sure their "products" feel human and interact in a way that blends in and mirrors human movement and speech, or else nobody will buy that model.

I'm not sure that's true; being able to distinguish androids from humans is likely to be a pretty important design consideration. Personally I'd like the old Android back.

Dark Matter was somewhat engaging this time.  I spent much of the episode trying to guess which new crew member is actually an android and whether or not Jace would turn to ashes when someone in the crew inevitably killed him.  

On 7/17/2016 at 3:19 PM, Wouter said:

there is only one "off-ship brunette of power."  [not 2].  That she is Five's mother is speculation.

So you're saying that counting extremely low numbers of brunettes is something I'm challenged by, and that I need to draw a clearer distinction between the numbers 1 and 2.  Okay.   Science to the rescue!   Memory Key: One = hydrogen, Two = helium.   Got it.  

The Fog could have been to freeze a location so it stayed inert while space politics played out all around it, so the richy-rich families would have time to fight back against the threat without the enemy gaining the planet and digging in, and then like an egg timer the dose of fog would wear off after a known amount of time.  If the war was ongoing at that point you'd just re-fog the planet.

Androids on corporate ships might be purchased in bulk as stripped down models without personality because CBS is cheap like that.   But I doubt our present fear of confusing androids with people will last into the future.  Natural born people will be augmenting themselves with so much organic robotech that we'll already be meeting androids half way, maybe even growing tech into ourselves in the womb as part of the gestation process.  And androids will meet us halfway by....being indistinguishable.   There won't be two clear-cut camps with different legal codes for the born & the built.   The difference between us will be measured more in percentages of overlap.  Just like we have "Trusted Geuthy-Ranker Products" today the future will have trusted Artificial Intelligence builds, the robotic minds with the best track record of "getting it" and being known to do us proud as parents.   There won't be any big psychological need to mark androids as different from human; those training wheels will have been removed.

10 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

There won't be two clear-cut camps with different legal codes for the born & the built.

In the real future, hopefully you're right. In the Dark Matter universe, androids are slaves with no legal rights, and humans want to be able to easily distinguish slaves from "real" people.

Was watching The Force Awakens and noticed Hannah John-Kamen (Dutch) plays an officer charging the weapon on Starkiller Base.

So I looked up what else she's been on and see she's the young khaleesi Dany confides in / co-opts this season on Game of Thrones.

She'll be in Ready Player One too.  Looks like her star is rising.

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

So I looked up what else she's been on and see she's the young khaleesi Dany confides in / co-opts this season on Game of Thrones.

Holy hell !!!! Didnt notice that at all ! But now you say it, yeah, it's obvious ! 

So it looks like there are proper aliens out there. I'm guessing that's the outside threat that's been alluded to in the past. Though if they're out to conquer the known universe they're really taking their sweet time with it.

I was wondering why that last scene went on for so long... so, is/was Sabine an undercover level 6 agent or did D'avin inadvertently infect her?

3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

So it looks like there are proper aliens out there. I'm guessing that's the outside threat that's been alluded to in the past. Though if they're out to conquer the known universe they're really taking their sweet time with it.

It's the White Walkers syndrome.

3 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I was wondering why that last scene went on for so long... so, is/was Sabine an undercover level 6 agent or did D'avin inadvertently infect her?

I thought it was D'av who killed her. It's the first time he has sex I think after the events with Khlyen.

Archived