Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

5 hours ago, Jon AS said:

So it looks like there are proper aliens out there. I'm guessing that's the outside threat that's been alluded to in the past. Though if they're out to conquer the known universe they're really taking their sweet time with it.

I was wondering why that last scene went on for so long... so, is/was Sabine an undercover level 6 agent or did D'avin inadvertently infect her?

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

It's the White Walkers syndrome.

I thought it was D'av who killed her. It's the first time he has sex I think after the events with Khlyen.

I'm going with Sabine being an undercover level 6, and Dav inadvertently pushing the green goo out of her. But either way, the man just has no luck with relationships.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm going with Sabine being an undercover level 6, and Dav inadvertently pushing the green goo out of her. But either way, the man just has no luck with relationships.

I don't think that's it, but I can see the show going there just to get the joke in that the only way to defeat Khlyen or Fancy or any other level 6 is for D'avin to fuck them.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I don't think that's it, but I can see the show going there just to get the joke in that the only way to defeat Khlyen or Fancy or any other level 6 is for D'avin to fuck them.

Well he wouldn't have to fuck them. Considering that he can telekinetically control the green goo, all he has to do is extend his arm.

Unless Davin's new skill is that he can turn the body fluids of anyone into that green goo, it's obvious that Sabine was a level 6 who already had gooey green fluids and Davin's ability to control the goo accidentally killed her.  

Which, honestly, is quite cool and I'm annoyed with myself for not thinking of it until she started to cry geen. They are now a legitimate threat to Kline and perhaps also what Kline is scared of.

I don't even remember what happened on Dark Matter, which means it was probably the same exact thing that's been happening on the show since the pilot.  "Who are we?  Are we a team?  Who are we loyal to?  Do you want to walk slowly through a hallway with me?  Who is after us this week?  Blah blah blah?"  

Actually, I'm not sure I watched the latest episode.

17 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Unless Davin's new skill is that he can turn the body fluids of anyone into that green goo, it's obvious that Sabine was a level 6 who already had gooey green fluids and Davin's ability to control the goo accidentally killed her.  

Which, honestly, is quite cool and I'm annoyed with myself for not thinking of it until she started to cry geen. They are now a legitimate threat to Kline and perhaps also what Kline is scared of.

I don't even remember what happened on Dark Matter, which means it was probably the same exact thing that's been happening on the show since the pilot.  "Who are we?  Are we a team?  Who are we loyal to?  Do you want to walk slowly through a hallway with me?  Who is after us this week?  Blah blah blah?"  

Actually, I'm not sure I watched the latest episode.

A good episode for DM too, I thought. I'll try not to spoil much, but we learn about Nyx, and where she gets her abilities. It's also an episode that seemed to give people a heads up that big things may be coming.

Just a quick mention to the actor who played Milo in the latest Dark Matter (Nyx's brother). I found him totally on point and quite magnetic ! A great performance imo ! 

2 hours ago, Arkash said:

Just a quick mention to the actor who played Milo in the latest Dark Matter (Nyx's brother). I found him totally on point and quite magnetic ! A great performance imo ! 

Yes

Spoiler

I was disappointed he's not a permanent addition.

Presumably the one who is going to betray them is the junkie doctor, right?

4 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Unless Davin's new skill is that he can turn the body fluids of anyone into that green goo, it's obvious that Sabine was a level 6

I don't even remember what happened on Dark Matter, ...actually, I'm not sure I watched the latest episode.

I know what happened.  His rapid insertions confused the hell out of the green goop, because he seemed to be simultaneously saying, "Come here, go away, come closer, no go away, I want to be nearer to you, I want to leave you, now I'm back, now I'm absent, here I am again," and so forth.   Until the green goo was so confused by the mixed signals it was getting from his penis that it crashed like a galaxy phone from a different galaxy.

Ah, the nookie episode.   I was wondering if they were going for a new record length cable tv sex scene or something, then it took a turn toward the relevant, sadly.  I wonder if there's a niche for that envelope pushing cable nookie.  Picture a drama with every appearance of legit plotlines, characterization, etc..... and then it drops all of that and launches into a 25 minute bed scene with increasingly ridiculous ways of hiding what the viewer really wants to see while the camera zooms in on an elbow or hair flip or a strategically placed vase.  Then we find out a big revelation about the cosmos that's honest-to-God fascinating.  Then cut back to more softcore banging. 

Anyway, I laughed at the comments about Dark Matter because I actually did miss this week's and was wondering if I'd missed anything interesting.   Who's Nyx, for example.  What's beyond bung is that my "On Demand" feature doesn't go anywhere near offering these shows.  So no way to see it.

19 hours ago, Jon AS said:

So it looks like there are proper aliens out there. I'm guessing that's the outside threat that's been alluded to in the past. Though if they're out to conquer the known universe they're really taking their sweet time with it.

If they don't have FTL, it will take them hundreds of thousands of years to conquer the galaxy.

Yeah, but the civilization they seem to be conquering can manage to travel from the first known point of contact to the Quad in 400 years (probably quite a bit less, actually; San presumably wasn't travelling in a straight line and did make numerous stops along the way) and the green goo has arrived ahead of them, possibly centuries ago, yet virtually nobody has heard of them.

I think it's time we got a clearer picture of how interstellar society works in this universe.

1 hour ago, Jon AS said:

Yeah, but the civilization they seem to be conquering can manage to travel from the first known point of contact to the Quad in 400 years (probably quite a bit less, actually; San presumably wasn't travelling in a straight line and did make numerous stops along the way) and the green goo has arrived ahead of them, possibly centuries ago, yet virtually nobody has heard of them.

I'd guess San comes from outside the J, which would be very unusual (even travelling between the Quad and other systems in the J is a reasonably big deal). It would take years to get from one end of the J to another; travelling from systems outside the J would pretty much be a one-way trip for normal humans (even if time dilation means you don't age that much, your planet of origin would have moved on decades if not centuries or millennia by the time you got back). So the absence of incoming traffic from the direction of the alien empire or whatever it is wouldn't raise any alarms. But Khlyen's people do have FTL, so they can go back and forth between the invaders and the J in more practical timeframes. Maybe San got a lift on an FTL ship at some point, or maybe the invaders spent a few centuries consolidating or expanding in other directions before launching their assault on the J.

2 hours ago, Jon AS said:

I think it's time we got a clearer picture of how interstellar society works in this universe.

Assuming it does work; it is possible the writers just haven't thought about it that carefully.

A weak episode for Dark Matter, the infiltration was too easy and silly. In contrast to the prison escape, the writing was really bad this week. But the ending with the doc was great.

And in Killjoys, I'm pissed off that they

Spoiler

killed Sabine. She was the best character of the show (after Clara, where is Clara?). Hope the head-shot wasn't enough as D'av suggests...

It's pretty much a given that Sabine isn't actually dead.  We were shown two ways to definitively kill a level 6, decapitation and the level 6 stake.  Considering that and the fact that she was being dragged away by other agents make sit clear we'll see her again, though surely a different version (and now we know she can be 'saved' from that version). I also really like Sabine and I'm glad they spent a decent chunk of the episode making sure we knew we'd see her again.  

One thing I love about Killjoys is that they don't rely on tired manufactured drama to drive the story.  In another show, I'd expect most of the episode to focus on Davin and Dutch engaging in jealous arguing to try to illustrate that they care about each other, but this show treated them like normal people and had one ask the other if they were ok and then the entire plot of trying to figure out Sabine and other level 6's basically revolved around them caring about one another. 

I still don't get why Johnny and Potter are so intent on keeping their sleuthing from the others.  I'm starting to lose track of that story, tbh.  This week, the only thing I really caught was that a bunch of level 6's have been walled off in Old Town (maybe that's the point of the walling of the cities?) and that Johnny got walled off in that dude's place.  

With Dark Matter, wow, yeah, definitely silly.  I like the relationship building the group has going on, but that break in and break out was terrible.  They barely put any effort into the script on this one.  The best part of this episode was the preview for next week's ep where it looks like we'll be time traveling.  

8 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

With Dark Matter, wow, yeah, definitely silly.  I like the relationship building the group has going on, but that break in and break out was terrible.  They barely put any effort into the script on this one.  The best part of this episode was the preview for next week's ep where it looks like we'll be time traveling.  

Yeah, it was stupid easy. As I was watching the episode, I was predicting a kick-ass on board gun fight when the corporate ship showed up, instead we got a lame space battle; I was also expecting Five to get her brain fried, and thus make the content of the case a mystery to the rest of the crew, but nope bad lady conveniently forgot about that. I was also silently praising the creation of this clone travelling thing, but so far it has not been too impressive. The only drama was with the doc, who I'm surprised he lasted this long. The Seers are a bit annoying right now, to be honest. I suppose they were introduced as a sort of wild card (or counter to the wild card that the crew of the Raza are) but I'm not sure what they're really adding to the story.

that alien kill method of a spring-loaded spiking knife to the brain pan has definitely been recycled from some other genre show.  can't recall where from. 

I think the walls around the cities are there to quarantine the Green in case it starts infecting the Quad..... or to microwave everyone in Oldtown to make them all mutants infected with the Company's own version of green.  (to turn everyone into an army of Sixes if that's what's needed to fight the invaders).  Most people aren't going to survive the transition so the walled in area would vibrate most people to ash.  The Company may be gold panning, sifting through the ashes of the weak discarded humans hoping to find the hidden potential 6's in the population quickly.   Drastic, but needed to give humanity a fighting chance, yada yada.

My solution for Sabine's problem would be regularly scheduled sex romps with a de-greening dong.   But then they doubled down on her enemy status & made her Black Root too.   What about the shared peach, bra?  My god the peach.  Did none of it mean anything in the end.  I tink it did.  She'll turn Killjoy in the finale and it'll be a Ghostbusters all-femme affair with the return of that gun-arm lass too.  Oh yes. 

Johnny + Pawter is a secret because the RAC cannot be seen taking sides.

The bigger secret is that Klyhen is the savior of the galaxy.   he managed to resist the goo & he's a fan of Dav for resisting more completely.  Hmmm.   maybe the scarbacks hold the secret to resisting the green enough to hold on to your humanity, and that's what they'll contribute this season.

Dark Matter:  as long as the characters remain cleansed of smirky/petty/horrible chit chat, I'm fine with simple and direct writing for them.   What better can we really expect?  It's totally looking like Five isn't that rich criminal lady's daughter..... unless she's keeping it super-stealth hidden from even her own employees.   It would have been a closer scrape if 5 had gotten her real body's brain fried and the clone was the only version left, so she'd totally need to escape.... and if the Cruella lady really was her mom this would force her to sort of reveal that by allowing Five to escape rather than using lethal force.   But.... that's not the way they're going with it.

"You better be careful, or snacks gonna start turnin into smacks."
:lol: 

"I got nothing.  It's just vegetable matter, gluten, and rat meat."
:ack: "...Gluten."
:lmao: 

I know the monk wanted to die, but killing him seemed pretty shortsighted to me. 

Boy oh boy, I have to say, one of the best things about this season of Killjoys is the fact that the villains are just so fucking hateable. God damn if the end of this weeks episode didn't make you want to see Gelko strung up from a lamp post and shot a la Mussolini, you have not emotion. Dutch's story line is less clear cut, but that is by no means a detraction, just a difference. I'm about 60% sure Potter is gonna die.

Archived