Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

I was trying to help them out by mentally combining their universe with Mass Effect type instant transport units across vast distances, then they'd fly out of a huge destination space station relay point and travel by ship within that sector of space they were visiting.   But the main joy of the show seems to be that you can jump in a ship and speed off to your destination.  So.... maybe don't dwell on it.   Going hard sci-fi with travel times isn't any fun for writers or audiences anyway; too real for a fantasy show.  Cuz then you're trapped into talking about the boring realities of physics for the rest of series whenever travel comes up.

Dark Matter went small this week, but then I realized it wasn't their finale.    Looks like Zyron's population is about to grow by 8 as the cast immigrates and tries to blend in on an Asian planet.  3 will be funny there as the Indiana Jones equivalent.

Killjoys got one groan from me when they went with the oft-abused "Kill the sire and the rest of the vampire spawn will instantly easily croak!"    It seems the social class system is about to get jumbled with the end of the 9 as Killjoys reign in their place and right some of the long standing injustices of the richie rich planet, while also recruiting for the war. 

21 hours ago, Arkash said:

See you next week for those of you who follow Dark Matter ! :) 

There's a double episode either next week or the week after, I don't remember which, but look out for it.

I went looking for a promo for the next episode of DM on youtube and couldn't find one on the Space channel youtube account.  Plenty of videos about Killjoys, Orphan Black, etc. and one video of DM season 2 promo.  I wonder why they're not promoting it to the same extent?

I already hated him before and his psychopathic tendency to chop everyone and everything. But now... Christ, I hope he'll be a villain in the future and that they fucking take him down. No way I can watch a show wanting me to consider him a protagonist.

Yeah, Four is quite likely turning into a villain. Any Nyx may try to get some revenge on him. I thought this was the end, but the season finale is next week. I'm glad, because while this last episode was mostly good, the one preceding it was kinda weak except for the heart-to-heart moment between Three and Five.

I was unsure about  these last two episodes, I've been enjoying the rest of the season more. 

Seeing the contrast between Ryu (Four? The samurai, I mean), in the beginning of episode 11 where they sit around the table playing games and in the end of episode 12 was kinda cool though. I haven't cared for the character much, but I suppose he'll make a decent villain. He was a bit bland to be part of the crew in every episode, anyways.

I don't understand why he killed the Seers, however. That looked like a super stupid move.

Intense finale and a better episode than the average we get on this show. I have a feeling that they will kill off another character from the crew early next season, just like they did with One. Right now they're all in danger, but the likeliest are Nyx, Three and Six. Or they could just get rid of Four early on, but my hope is that he will be the main villain next season.

Well, that was certainly a way to get me to tune in next season.  Dammit, Dark Matter, I really wanted to quit you.  

The show started to become better the minute Four decided to regain his memories.  I've actually enjoyed the last few episodes.  It was a much needed change of pace from the same old crap they'd been doing from the start.  

I agree. Although I'd go as far as saying that halfway through the season, the show lost its guilty pleasure aspect to become a truly entertaining one ! 

I too think someone either will bite the dust early next season either didnt survive the explosion (and Nyx is probably a goner as well)... my money would be on Six, although I'd hate to lose Roger Cross... 

I dont think they'd kill Portia or Boone (or, in the case of Boone, I really hope he survived, he's the highlight of the show for me !)... as for Five, she's probably okay with Truffault, she likely had an escape plan ready to evacuate the station. 

Mmm, I think it's going to be Six or maybe Nyx - to sew some trouble/build drama in the Tetsuda dynasty.

They can't really ditch Portia because there's a lot to her abilities that remains unexplored. 

Boone is a pretty essential character for the crew to remain entertaining. Although a Boone-like character could be (re)introduced too. They could find a retired Jayne Cobb on some mudders' planet.

I honestly don't see them killing off the hacker kid.

I think Six is the most easily replaceable of the remaining members. He didn't really serve a purpose this season. He's been accepted back to the crew enough for his death to have an impact.

Do we know who they brought back from the alternate timeline? One?

6 hours ago, akh said:

Do we know who they brought back from the alternate timeline? One?

They may well not even have decided who it was yet. One wouldn't entirely surprise me - and it could be Jace or Derrick.

The things that happened were almost entirely hard.

I still like Asian Guy.    It's Miss Swordersen Blade Ambition Buddy who crossed the line.    

The seers were fine to kill because it's better to do that before they're mishandled too much by the writers.   The space station was fine to blow up because they were corporation employees and the kind of upper management people who fire you from your job at Kroegers.   Plus nobody ever dies on a time travel universe hopping show because when things are too far gone you can get in the ship and time travel universe hop to make it all better.   I do mourn the loss of Four's prescient hottie so freshly sprung from Space Supermax.  And Four's brother was a tough murder to look past, but don't empire families get a special pass for killing their siblings? 

Archived