Dark Matter and Killjoys: the beginnings of SyFy's attempt to get their spaceship on again

Maester Llama

I can remember people saying similar for SGU when they felt SG-1 and Atlantis were cancelled for it. It's all MGM's fault for going bust - I'm pretty sure SGU would have stuck around otherwise and we may have got the Atlantis film. Although the sales for those straight to home release movies were pretty poor.

"Fans" of SG-1 and Atlantis who didn't like SGU didn't like the darker tone, that it kinda, sort of looked like BSG, so on. But SGU still had quality production (sets, FX, acting). This... not so much, and all the main characters seem to have the same traits, they're all good looking, like it's made by CW.

"Fans" of SG-1 and Atlantis who didn't like SGU didn't like the darker tone, that it kinda, sort of looked like BSG, so on. But SGU still had quality production (sets, FX, acting). This... not so much, and all the main characters seem to have the same traits, they're all good looking, like it's made by CW.

I enjoyed all the versions of SG but I was annoyed how it felt like they had to kill the older shows to do the new one and exactly the same accusation was made against SGU of having young and pretty characters. SGU only appeared higher quality because everything was dark and grimy (odd how that looks better than clean - I guess we can tell fake shiny better). I should just watch the thing and decide for myself :)

So I watched both Dark Matter and Killjoys, and they are both pretty derivative, predictable and frankly look rather cheap. I think Killjoys wears the look a bit better and seems like it might have slightly more potential to become something interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. With Dark Matter I'm mostly interested to see just how clichéd future reveals about the cast will be. Will the cartoonishly obnoxious one turn out to have been pretty much the nicest one prior to the memory wipe? Will bland nice guy turn out to have been the worst of the bunch? Will psychic tech girl turn out to be on the run from an evil corporation/government? Will captain lady turn out to be the girl from psychich tech girl's dream? Will stoic, asian martial arts stereotype turn out to be a stoic martial arts stereotype who happens to be asian?

Overall I feel my time would be better spent with a B5 or DS9 rewatch.

Corvinus,

I really enjoyed SGU. I liked the fact that all the characters weren't best buds by the end of the pilot. I enjoyed the fact that people made stupid decisions that affected everyone else despite their best intentions. I liked that agendas were played close to the vest and that the entire storyline wasn't spelled out in big block letters with highlighting and italics. It was a million times more subtle and interesting than any of the other Stargate incarnations (though I admit they did try some of this with Atlantis just with a much more upbeat tone).

It worked well in my opinion and I was sorry to see it go.

So I watched both Dark Matter and Killjoys, and they are both pretty derivative, predictable and frankly look rather cheap. I think Killjoys wears the look a bit better and seems like it might have slightly more potential to become something interesting, but I'm not holding my breath. With Dark Matter I'm mostly interested to see just how clichéd future reveals about the cast will be. Will the cartoonishly obnoxious one turn out to have been pretty much the nicest one prior to the memory wipe? Will bland nice guy turn out to have been the worst of the bunch? Will psychic tech girl turn out to be on the run from an evil corporation/government? Will captain lady turn out to be the girl from psychich tech girl's dream? Will stoic, asian martial arts stereotype turn out to be a stoic martial arts stereotype who happens to be asian?

Overall I feel my time would be better spent with a B5 or DS9 rewatch.

How about that ending for episode 2?

"Why did they wipe our minds?"

"Because we're dangerous."

Dun, dun, duh. *Fade to black*

:lol:

I enjoyed Killjoys a lot more than I have the first two episodes of Dark Matter, and both of those more than the two minutes I've seen of this season of Defiance as I was waiting for the others to start.

Corvinus,

I really enjoyed SGU. I liked the fact that all the characters weren't best buds by the end of the pilot. I enjoyed the fact that people made stupid decisions that affected everyone else despite their best intentions. I liked that agendas were played close to the vest and that the entire storyline wasn't spelled out in big block letters with highlighting and italics. It was a million times more subtle and interesting than any of the other Stargate incarnations (though I admit they did try some of this with Atlantis just with a much more upbeat tone).

It worked well in my opinion and I was sorry to see it go.

All I can say is :agree:

How about that ending for episode 2?

"Why did they wipe our minds?"

"Because we're dangerous."

Dun, dun, duh. *Fade to black*

:lol:

Oh god yes, that was hilarious. That's like something you'd do in a parody of cheap attempts at suspense. It's a meaningless line that is played as if it were the most dramatic thing we've learned so far, when in truth it doesn't reveal anything we didn't already know (really, heavily armed, violent criminals are dangerous?) and it doesn't offer a new spin on what we know (someone did this on purpose? Well, no shit!).

Killjoys is so much better than Dark Matter that it's not even funny. Granted, Stargate, especially latter-day Stargate, has always been shitty, but it's still astounding how incompetently Dark Matter is produced/written/acted.

Killjoys, on the other hand, is fun. It's not original fun, but it is fun, with fun characters and character dynamics, pretty decent action and special effects, serviceable acting (Luke McFarlane's Meathead McGee being the weak link in the bunch) and writing and sets that look pretty decent for an independent production company out of Canada.

Didnt get on Killjoys yet, but I am ready to continue Dark Matter as in the end, I quite appreciated it !

I was really skeptical with the first half of the first episode, with all the cliché and predicable build-up but it turned out pretty decent once revelations and stakes were made clearer (without giving too much !), looking forward to the next episode.

I think the predictability of it is a first episodes plague, but I am confident they can get to some nice points and turns in the plot, so I'm in for now.

Gotta check Killjoys asap !

EDIT : so I checked Killjoys, and yeah, the first episode was better than the first of Dark Matter but I'll stick to both shows (yeah, I'm a sucker for that kind of SF).

And feels good to have to SyFy shows in the same day, I quite liked that with 12 Monkeys and Helix !

It could even be three in a row with Defiance, but I'm still watching the first season only !

Gawd, the final scene for Dark Matter trumped last week's travesty.

*sharp head turn*
"Corso, Jace Corso."

:lmao:

This show is just a giant cliché, but if they keep up these horribly "enticing" endings, I don't know how I can't keep watching.

SyFy sure did go all out on the eye candy for these two shows. Dutch and Two are both absolutely gorgeous.

Gawd, the final scene for Dark Matter trumped last week's travesty.

*sharp head turn*

"Corso, Jace Corso."

:lmao:

This show is just a giant cliché, but if they keep up these horribly "enticing" endings, I don't know how I can't keep watching.

SyFy sure did go all out on the eye candy for these two shows. Dutch and Two are both absolutely gorgeous.

I feel similarly (plus, there's not much else on TV at the moment). Dark Matter is really going all-out with the cheese, but it doesn't appear to be the least bit aware of it.

Gonna watch the latest two episodes right now... quite sad to read that the 3d episode of Dark Matter didnt convince... I really believe there's a potential for a good story there and I'm putting the cliché and predictable development on the first episodes need to establish the universe. So I'll stick with it hoping to be surprised (and the sequence shot in episode 2 was really cool, as was the montage of the truth test in episode 3).

After all, 12 Monkeys was one of my favourite shows this year, so SyFy can rock !

But I agree, Killjoys seems more promising than Dark Matter.

Well, anyway, I'll repeat myself, but my opinion on the matter isnt necessarly the most objective one, I've always fallen for that kind of science-fiction, no matter how amazingly written it is (well, no, if it's really awfully written, I'll pass my way, but I would definitly not say that of Dark Matter so far).

I'm pretty sure the only reason I am watching dark matter is that Five is cute and I want to see her be mysterious and cool

she will probably not be mysterious and cool. i'm guessing a bunch of tiresome mystic prophecy kind of shit and she will probably be kidnapped or incapacitated for a long period

(haven't watched ep. 3)

killjoys is so much better it's ridiculous. not sure it's good enough for me to care for long though.

So Dark Matter:

Spoiler
I was expecting that none of the Raza crew were actually criminals but it's an elaborate frame-up giving them fake records and histories. Seems like I'll be right, but with more than that -- they're clones, probably, and never had memories because they'll newly created. Yet it is Killjoys that is "from the producers of Orphan Black!" Okay, whatever.

Apparently based on a comic book series which was based on the idea they had for the TV show. Though from what I can figure in the comic Five is a young boy, and one of the show's male characters is a woman in the comic.

Yes that final scene was cheesy but I think the rest of the episode was solid enough for a low-budget Canadian SF show.

I don't have high standards when it comes to sci-fi (and SyFy): For example, I find Defiance a perfectly acceptable way to waste an hour.

But I couldn't bear watching the pilot of Killjoys. It was just so boring.

I'd recommand sticking with Killjoys, I think there's really a potential for a good sci-fi show there.

And I'm perfectly aware that Dark Matter is totally going to become a guilty pleasure of mine ! I like the idea that they're all clones that just woke up, justifying their lack of memory. My pet theory so far was that they erased them themselves after discovering some game-changing stuff about what the fuck is locked behind that huge metal door.

Archived