"Nights King, Bran the Builder, Lann the Clever = alive" - GRRM

LmL

As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have.

- GRRM, Notablog
Yeah, the title is a bit trollish, but I figured we should probably talk about this.

Is this one of those "well he didn't come out and say he doesn't exist, just that it's unlikely" so that means maybe he's alive? Or is this pretty much the end of the line for the "NK is alive and ready to kick ass" theories??

Or should we begin speculating about who Lann the Clever is disguised as? (hint: probably not)

Probably trollish, but I'll bite. Makes sense that legendary figures are more like roles to be played than actual people. We have plenty of examples of characters intentionally embodying characters from songs and legends. Sometimes there's a supernatural element to it as well (AA).

Bran the Builder is a great example of this. There are so many branching legends to him that he almost has to be multiple figures, or multiple Brandons who played that role throughout history.

tv show spoiler

mayhaps, but the one thing that really stood out to me in the show was that the first time we see NK there are clearly 12 other figures all dressed in black standing in the background. This I think was basically confirmation that NK is the Last Hero, and that the first 12 LC of the NW are actually the same as the 12 companions of the LH who died. GRRM even put in the books that all this info before the Andals came is only recorded in runes and passed down by word of mouth and that there are archmaesters who question all of it, which lends credence to the info getting all jumbled up or purposely distorted by NK (more likely)

The Night's King might be the legendary ancestor of House Moonfall of Winterheart, Lord of the Lands of Always Winter. A current member of this House might be the incarnation of this Night's King, similar to Bran seems to be the incarnation of Brandon the Builder or Tyrion seems to be the incarnation of Lann the Clever.

The Night's King might be the legendary ancestor of House Moonfall of Winterheart, Lord of the Lands of Always Winter. A current member of this House might be the incarnation of this Night's King, similar to Bran seems to be the incarnation of Brandon the Builder or Tyrion seems to be the incarnation of Lann the Clever.

Sounds plausible.

BTW, what happened to you? Did you fall into a cold black pond or something? Child burning too much for you? (I haven't and won't watch that episode.. since ep. 6 I wait to hear about them before I watch)

And here I was expecting a theory on how Bran the Builder, Lann the Clever and Night's King made a plan to con the whole of Westeros into thinking that there's nothing beyond the Wall and are enjoying margaritas in the Bahamas with the gold taken from the Casterlys, just beyond the Land of Always Winter...

...Now that I think about it, this would make a good movie...

Well I read it as "the original" unlikely survived until now. However that doesn't exlude "new incarnations" (is it flesh others have ?), just like AA may rebirth, and Dany be the new "Empress with amethist eyes". The question then is "who was it" and "since when" then...

Yeah, the title is a bit trollish, but I figured we should probably talk about this.

Is this one of those "well he didn't come out and say he doesn't exist, just that it's unlikely" so that means maybe he's alive? Or is this pretty much the end of the line for the "NK is alive and ready to kick ass" theories??

Or should we begin speculating about who Lann the Clever is disguised as? (hint: probably not)

No more than legend, but why is it in the story?

Your lips are turning blue.

The idea that the Night's King was the leader or creator of the Others had always a lot of problems - the first being that this guy clearly served as Lord Commander of the NW after the Wall was built (or the building had began), which would be after the end of the Long Night. Not to mention that whatever alliance the Night's King had with the Others clearly did not lead to the same sort of catastrophe the Others caused during the Long Night. Assuming that this guy - even if he was turned into an Other and survived the campaign Joramun and the Stark king waged against him - would become a crucial figure is kind of weird as this would mean that whoever our heroes are going to face in the coming War for the Dawn will no be, in fact, the original leader or creator of the Others but just some other corrupted dude.

The whole 'the cold preserves' idea could be a hint that ancient Others/the first Other(s) are still around and maintining or upholding whatever spells are necessay to keep the Others alive and the seasons unbalanced. Or not - I'm realizing that I'm writing a 'kill the big bad' or 'destroy the One Ring' scenario which would be not exactly great if you ask me.

But I still think there is a good possibility that the first Others are still around as a major point in turning into one of them could have been to extend your life indefinitely/become immortal. That is, if they aren't a natural occurring species - which is sort of supported by the belief of Craster's wives that Craster's son have become Others.

Archived