Does she say Valahd or not?

boojam

There is this posting by David Peterson:

Q:"Hi David, What was the Valyrian word last night that Daenerys said to Drogon? And does Valryian have some kind of an imperative tense that Daenerys uses to command her dragons?"

David Peterson: " David J. Peterson She just said "fly" in English. If she were using High Valyrian, she would've said

sōvēs. Generally Dany has only used High Valyrian with the dragons, but this was an exception. I guess it just didn't work out on set."

Somewhere, I lost the comment, Peterson says that when that ADR-ed , I guess, sōvēs , it didn't work.

Here's the question , I have listened to the sequence 20 times with head phones, Emilia is not saying "fly" she is saying something that sounds like two syllables. I swear her lips seems to form a 'v' even and not an 'f'.

I know HBO's closed captioning say "Valahd".

The 'Valahd' seems to be an ADR still visibly she does not seem to be forming 'fly'.

What's going on here with the CC and what's actually said?

Sounded like fly to me. But pronounced weirdly, sort of like "Fl-ah-y" (I.e. With a long ah sound in the middle)

Yeah it does not sound like one syllable , also , seems to me, she seems to be making a 'v' and not an 'f'.

Leaves the question why did HBO , well someone, production, label it Valahd?

Yeah it does not sound like one syllable , also , seems to me, she seems to be making a 'v' and not an 'f'.Leaves the question why did HBO , well someone, production, label it Valahd?

Um, "v" and "f" look the same, in terms of the way your mouth forms them. Or so close that any difference is t going to be picked up. At least in my case it is. (I just stood in front of a mirror saying vase and fly, lol. Glad I'm alone...)

Eta: try a Queens English version of fly. That sort of sounds like what she said

Um, "v" and "f" look the same, in terms of the way your mouth forms them. Or so close that any difference is t going to be picked up. At least in my case it is. (I just stood in front of a mirror saying vase and fly, lol. Glad I'm alone...)

Eta: try a Queens English version of fly. That sort of sounds like what she said

Try here:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/british/fly

That sound like one syllable to me.

Also Emilia seems to put a 'd' on the end, that not even London English.

Well I didn't hear two syllables anyway...but no, it's not. It does make for a longer sounding word though

Must of listened to it 30 times and sounds like V-lad.

I do have to wonder where they shot that scene.

From what I have read all the 'green screening' may have been done at the ring in Spain.

The usual would be to take all that footage , got to a sound stage green screen set up , shot some live action to be CGI'ed.

If that's not the case then Emilia may have said her 'word' only once, of course that ADR-ed in ... it's a mystery.

Here's another odd thing, I don't think they have Close Captioned a non English word, have they?

First night I watched it: Thought she say something Valyrian.

Second viewing: Thought she said fly.

First viewing involved alcohol. Second viewing involved less alcohol. :dunno:

Peterson seems to be saying that on set she said 'fly', maybe in another take sōvēs , High Valyrian for 'fly', whatever she maybe said it was ADR-ed to Valahr.

Maybe there will be futher claification in the futue.

Must of listened to it 30 times and sounds like V-lad.

<snip>

this is what i heard as well...and what i have heard every time...

Ok, if nobody noticed Peterson says Valahd is Dothraki.

well he says valad is dothraki...the article was very interesting...thanks for the link

Lol, RoamingRonin. That is apt for literally 90% of life.

:lmao: and if it isn't is sure should be...

i just googled it for shits and giggles and some really cool interesting things came up :lmao:

Hello Ice/Fire CSI Audio Signal Division,

I listened to different youtube clips with a few headphones including Sony Pro Noise Cancellation model with bass booster, quality Aiwa sport model, el cheapo plastic Vextra, which was strangely helpful.

I conclude that Queen Dany girl said something that sounds like, "Vah-lie" - there are definitely 2 syllables she draws out slightly. I never heard her say "Fly" with an "F" always this mysterious word with a soft "V"--and for all we know Emilia Clarke and her speech coaches decided on this pronunciation.

On printed page it looks like "Valahd" -- like a person pronouncing the name of Vlad the Impaler, have heard this as "Vl-odd" or "Vl-add" -- next step would be to rig up speakers or just wait for the dvd set and do the mega 5.1 playback on it.

This issue bothers me for some reason, and I want to know.

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards,

"From the Night's Watch Library....."

Archived