Are We Getting Close to a Brienne/Stannis Showdown?

John Suburbs

Brienne is near Winterfell. Stannis is near Winterfell. They are both like to encounter Sansa at some point and Sansa will need a good sword by her side.

So if Stannis takes Winterfell and gains Sansa, then Brienne will still be in the area.

If Theon helps Sansa escape, they will likely encounter Brienne on their way to Stannis.

It seems to me that the only way to avoid an encounter is for Stannis to be defeated, and I don't think that's likely with Mel at his side.

I doubt it will happen this season, but I imagine it could be one of several cliffhangers for Ep. 10: Stannis and Brienne coming face to face.

i really hope not. the shireen bbq was brutal but that doesnt change the fact that stannis is still an interesting character. imo brienne is one of the least entertaining characters in the entire series/show. shes loyal, shes a good fighter and shes an ugly woman - thats about the depth of her character. again, even after the shireen burning, ill be pissed if shes the sole reason of stannis' downfall.

i do feel like theyre playing her up for a big role though. in terms of the show, theyve basically turned her into the hands down favorite for best fighter. she takes down loras easily where in the books hes kicking her ass until she tackles him off his horse and overpowers him. in the show shes incredibly dismissive of jaime where in the books the fight is much closer. whether the hound was half dead to start with or not, i still say that having her beat him in a sword fight AND a fist fight was poor writing; especially poor writing if the hound returns at some point.

im biased because i dont like briennes character at all but i really, really hope they keep her away from stannis....unless it involves him burning brienne. thats probably the only way id care about a brienne scene lol.

I think Melisandre will play Stoneheart to Brienne, hold Podrick hostage for some favour that Stannis wants.

I was expecting (ie wishing) that Stannis and Brienne were forced to join forces to defeat (or survive) the Boltons. But now I believe show Stannis is too dark for any redemption or any forgiving between Brienne and him. I don't see Stannis defeated (it will be spoilers for the books if the fate of the battle is revealed). I expect Brienne is taken prisoner and she plays the role of Asha (Yara for HBO) Greyjoy. But yes, Melisandre would want to burn her too.

Brienne kiling Stannis (if this is a book spoiler) would really surprise me. I always thought Stannis would die as King, either fighting the Others/Boltons/Dany or back in Kings Landing the moment Cersei nukes it from orbit the wildfire cellars.

I expect Brienne is taken prisoner and she plays the role of Asha (Yara for HBO) Greyjoy.

I find this also more likely.

I'm really tired of Brienne and it would be so disappointing to kill off a character who has become more and more interesting like Stannis in favor of one with no arc and no development like Brienne. I've said this before, but I think her motivations are completely unrealistic. Think of all the drama that the Starks and Dany and the Lannisters have been through, all the changes. Same with Stannis. Now think about Brienne's story- she's basically traumatized because of she has not fulfilled her "oaths." How am I suppose to believe or care about Brienne's sense of duty when other characters on this show have been raped, have had their family murdered, been sold into slavery, sacrificed their own daughters, and all of them have broken a million oaths in the process. Why am I suppose to care about Brienne and her plight? Maybe they need to STOP having one of the characters with no arc, no development, no drama, and no story (Brienne) killing off all the shows interesting characters. If Brienne does kill Stannis then we would have "lost" The Hound and Stannis (and the actors that play them) to watch Brienne ride around easily killing off anyone in her path. Brienne should stick to being a minor character at this point before they drive this character into the ground with the character's redundancy. I like Gwendoline Christie a lot and I hope they give her character a memorable end before it all becomes stagnant.

i really hope not. the shireen bbq was brutal but that doesnt change the fact that stannis is still an interesting character. imo brienne is one of the least entertaining characters in the entire series/show. shes loyal, shes a good fighter and shes an ugly woman - thats about the depth of her character. again, even after the shireen burning, ill be pissed if shes the sole reason of stannis' downfall.

i do feel like theyre playing her up for a big role though. in terms of the show, theyve basically turned her into the hands down favorite for best fighter. she takes down loras easily where in the books hes kicking her ass until she tackles him off his horse and overpowers him. in the show shes incredibly dismissive of jaime where in the books the fight is much closer. whether the hound was half dead to start with or not, i still say that having her beat him in a sword fight AND a fist fight was poor writing; especially poor writing if the hound returns at some point.

im biased because i dont like briennes character at all but i really, really hope they keep her away from stannis....unless it involves him burning brienne. thats probably the only way id care about a brienne scene lol.

I agree completely. Anyone who encounters Brienne is in danger of dying because D&D love her character. They can hold up Brienne as an example when they are accused of being sexist for raping and torturing and showing countless naked redheads with giant boobs for no justifiable reason whatsoever. The character of Brienne is their ultimate "get out of jail free card" for the role that the majority of women play on this show. They think that Brienne makes the show less "sexist." They are wrong, it doesn't, her character just makes the show more boring.

I agree completely. Anyone who encounters Brienne is in danger of dying because D&D love her character. They can hold up Brienne as an example when they are accused of being sexist for raping and torturing and showing countless naked redheads with giant boobs for no justifiable reason whatsoever. The character of Brienne is their ultimate "get out of jail free card" for the role that the majority of women play on this show. They think that Brienne makes the show less "sexist." They are wrong, it doesn't, her character just makes the show more boring.

But they make sure to have her insult other women for being "weak" ("Shut up, you're crying like a woman"), resort to violence at the first opportunity, kill remorselessly (often torturing her opponents to death), and insult and belittle those she doesn't find sufficiently "badass". Because otherwise, how will we know she's stronk character?

Also, to be 100% fair on the stupid Hound encounter: not only was he clearly half-dead, he was wearing a brigandine rather than plate, and using a regular longsword rather than Valyrian Steel. Doesn't explain how she's uninjured after the blows, or how she physically overpowered someone with friggin 80 POUNDS on her, though...

But they make sure to have her insult other women for being "weak" ("Shut up, you're crying like a woman"), resort to violence at the first opportunity, kill remorselessly (often torturing her opponents to death), and insult and belittle those she doesn't find sufficiently "badass". Because otherwise, how will we know she's stronk character?

Also, to be 100% fair on the stupid Hound encounter: not only was he clearly half-dead, he was wearing a brigandine rather than plate, and using a regular longsword rather than Valyrian Steel. Doesn't explain how she's uninjured after the blows, or how she had overpowered someone with friggin 80 POUNDS on her, though...

Exactly, I'm so tired of her character. So cartoonish. For a show that prides itself on being more "realistic" than your standard fantasy story, Brienne seems to be the hero that is able to do the impossible every time as if she was pulled straight from your standard fantasy/fairytale. So boring. I'm sure Gwendoline Christie could make this character more interesting but the complexities are just not on the page. Poorly developed character for a character that D&D want to be a "major" character. Feels childish and cartoonish and forced down my throat.

IMO, Brienne is the most butchered personage by the show.

In the books, she has a very nasty, bloody, battle with Rorge and Biter. And before that, another one with freaks like them. Would have been much better than the Hound. But one of her purpose was, I believe, to show us the consequences of the war in the Riverlands. And HBO did none of that. Her seek of the Starks girls is apparently an excuse by GRRM. Of course, there is also Stoneheart. Without her, Brienne's purpose is really thin.

She also expects to kill Stannis. But she should rather seek Melisandre. I would believe Brienne final objective will be to kill Melisandre.

Lets think about this if Brienne does kill Stannis while at the same time no Frey pies or LSH the D&D are almost saying they feel as storytellers Renly's death is in more need of being avenged then the RW

Great point. If that happens then it will turn into a really dumb story. Robb Stark was at least a likable character, and he was just as chivalrous and kind to people as Renly was..but Renly was a complete asshole, arrogant, vain, duplicitous..and every time i saw him on the show I wanted to punch him in the face. if you watch the parlay between Stannis (who is very composed and surprisingly chill) and Renly (who is very douchy, immature and condescending) it is hard to disagree...Fuck that guy.

Its hard to picture briennne killing melisrande anytime soon since mel is suppose to meet arya again.

I kinda see brienne get killed by sansa +

I don't remember it was in the books. IIRC, Melisandre didn't use the teleport to visit Arya in the Riverlands. The area was occupied by two armies and virtually impossible to travel. HBO could have forgotten. And anyway, I don't see Melisandre dying so soon.

The showrunners are so dumb and stupid, so poor in their understanding of the story that they actually cling to the "Renly is the Rightful King" nonsense.

I like Stannis' "Go do your duty" line.

That's on Brienne, cause she DOES believe Renly was the rightful King. There are many differing opinions on who the "rightful" ruler is. Dany believes it's hers, Stannis believes it's his, as did Renly. Don't see why you'd have a problem with this.

Archived