Jurassic World- Spoiler Thread

AndyBaelish

Dumb fun summer movie. People want Jurassic Park recreated and that's just not going to happen. We don't live in that world anymore, we live in a world where if it's not commercialized it's probably not going to see the light of day - or much light if it's extremely lucky.

All this complaining of dialogue... this is a summer blockbuster action film and people expected, what? Shakespear? David Milch? This is a movie meant to be for everyone and most everyone these days is pretty dumb.

It was fine for what it is but it felt more like the pilot for a TV show then something on the big screen.

In a way I think it was a pilot. Wu escaping with the dino DNA proves that this was more setup than anything else.

Dumb fun summer movie. People want Jurassic Park recreated and that's just not going to happen. We don't live in that world anymore, we live in a world where if it's not commercialized it's probably not going to see the light of day - or much light if it's extremely lucky.

All this complaining of dialogue... this is a summer blockbuster action film and people expected, what? Shakespear? David Milch? This is a movie meant to be for everyone and most everyone these days is pretty dumb.

In a way I think it was a pilot. Wu escaping with the dino DNA proves that this was more setup than anything else.

In terms of blockbusters, was hoping for Guardians of the Galaxy, got Transformers. Oh well. At least dinosaurs > robots, I'll go see dinosaurs no matter how stupid the movie is.

The original was incredibly commercialized and still managed to appeal to an audience of all ages. "Commercial" isn't synonymous with "Dumb", at least, it doesn't have to be.

I enjoyed the hell out Jurassic World, but this is pretty funny:

Okay. So you remember how in the first Jurassic Park movie the dinosaurs got loose and killed a bunch of people?

Yes...

Well, it was a tragedy. And we know this because when Bryce Dallas Howard, playing the childless, joyless woman in charge of the new park, sees Jake Johnson in a Jurassic Park shirt he got on eBay, and she chides him for his horrible taste in wearing an icon of such a tragedy.

Wait a second…

Keep in mind that Howard is running Jurassic World, which is exactly like Jurassic Park except bigger and exponentially more dangerous to the people inside it. It also uses the exact same T.Rex skull logo as the original Jurassic Park. So literally the only difference between the two is that one was named “Park” and the other was named “World.” And yet the Jurassic Park t-shirt is supposed to be the epitome of bad taste.

Is there some kind of metaphor you could use to help me understand this?

Yeah. If you assume Jurassic Park is the Titanic, Jurassic World is like someone coming along, building a new boat called the Mega-Titanic, sailing it along the exact same sea route, and getting weirdly judge-y any time mentions the original Titanic in anything other than hushed, reverent tones.

I'm not annoyed about that - she has important business meeting with potential sponsors, then important meeting with the owner/her employer/direct boss. This could be a special wardrobe day ;)

I was kind of WTF when kids saw their aunt killing flying dino and rescuing some unfamiliar guy and still stated that they want to stay with him - when he didn't do anything awesome in their presence yet. Ugh, stereotypes.

And she is going to have to walk from a helicopter across some mud, go into labs, etc. It's like how people wear different shoes when they're on the subway and when they're in the office. I expect her to carry a spare pair of shoes in the car or at least wear wedges/flats. :P No one wants to make a fool of themselves in front of the boss by getting their heel stuck in the mud.

I think it's something about these new generations. The kids in Jurassic Park are perfectly acceptable. They act like kids, and are sometimes annoying. But there's nothing actually wrong with them.

These days, every kid in every movie is a fucking nightmare.

Note: I got it that the kid was autistic or some shit, but did it need to be driven down my throat every other goddamn scene? I mean, for fuck's sake I get it. He's a special flower who's unique and no less important because of his lack of social skills.

The dino-park lady was fucking horrible. Nothing she does at any point in the story is interesting or plausible. The military guy made me wanna eat glass. And the kids' mom displayed some of the worst acting I've ever seen or heard or read about.

Interesting point about the kids. This is true and has been true for a long time about action movie kids. At least since "The Mummy returns" or "Star Wars episode 1". Idk, maybe parenting has declined?

I remember the kids in Jurassic Park 1, actually being pretty good,likable, well-behaved children. Sure the boy went on and on a bit about how much he knew about dinos, but he was in the right place to do that.

Am I the only one who thought that the "villain" of the movie was actually a good guy? All he wanted to do was use the velociraptors (sp?) instead of actual human troops, to help hunt down terrorists and help in future wars. I'm not sure I quite see the problem with this. Chris Pratt's character showed that they could be tamed to a relative extent, and if you could save dozens, perhaps hundreds of human lives by deploying these animals bred specifically for hunting, why wouldn't you do it?

And right from the get-go, all the guy wanted to do was use the dinosaurs to hunt down the Indominus because he knew just how ineffective the human containment squads would be. If he had had his way, how many more people would still be alive? At the end of the movie they end up having to use the velociraptors anyway, just like he originally wanted. And yet somehow he's still considered the villain, and Misrani is a good guy for sending dozens of unnamed troops to their deaths against the super monster that he himself was responsible for creating.

Overall the movie was pretty dumb. Shot well, choreographed well, but every time a character opened their mouths I was cringing. Also, everything about the movie (besides maybe the whale dinosaur jumping out at the end) was super predictable (oh no I hope those dinosaurs don't break out and kill people oh wait yep that's whats happening).

But of course everyone loves it. Throw a couple CG dinos on screen and suddenly everyone is jizzing out money all over the box office.

The complaints about the military sub-plot seem more that it's dumb and feels like a half-assed reason to get Pratt's character and the raptors on the island. I mean, raptors, really? They're huge and expensive to replace. It's not like they're Made of Steel, either - a couple AK-47 shots will take them down quickly.

The complaints about the military sub-plot seem more that it's dumb and feels like a half-assed reason to get Pratt's character and the raptors on the island. I mean, raptors, really? They're huge and expensive to replace. It's not like they're Made of Steel, either - a couple AK-47 shots will take them down quickly.

So are drones, which is what the guy was arguing. Drones do a fine job hunting down terrorists in the open, but they can't go underground. It's not like this was the military's only plan on how to deal with terrorists in caves. This was Ingen's plan, a corporation known for genetic research, and making dinosaurs, to get its hands in the big honey jar that is the military-industrial complex.

I went into the theatre expecting an action movie about dinosaurs and that's what I got. Not much more, nothing less.

I enjoyed all of the references to the original movie and the dinosaurs looked good. I liked the commandos vs dino battles, thought the end fight was predictable.

Dallas-Howards' acting or something was a little off. Typical set up for a sequel. Which, yes, I will go see.

I really could have done without the in-your-face-fucking-eat-it meta commentary in this film. We get it, woe to the tortured filmmaker who wants to make a great film but can't because 2015 movie goers are soooo stupid. The first act of this film was basically a self-hating emo kid that was daring you to try to be his friend. Then, instead of surprising you by being likable and thoughtful, it just became everything that it was lamenting on steroids. Yawn. I'm not here for FUCK YEAH BRAH, DINO FIGHT!! I wanted to see something thoughtful and awe-inspiring like the first film, but instead got a soulless CGI shitfest. CGI shitmonster jumping out of the CGI water to eat a CGI shark in front of a CGI audience sitting in a CGI amphitheater that was resting on the coast of a CGI island, isn't this awesome!?!?! No, it isn't. It's fucking heartless and awful.

I think Mad Max has ruined me.

Generally, as has been stated many times, got what I expected. People are being a little harsh on the dialogue, it wasn't great but it was no worse than any similar blockbuster that doesn't have Jurassic Park as its jump off.

What bugged me was the contrived plot points: how in the world would anyone ever, ever, ever allow this park to open after what happened in JP? The ONLY way this could even remotely be considered is if they had an absolute solid gold guarantee that the security was so obscenely tight, that it just wasn't possible for dinosaurs to break out. So how did the Ignominous Rex get out? Well a security guard opened a door to the pen......then opened the main door. No checks, no fail safes, no authorisations. Just opened both doors. Then they have the balls to say "this was inevitable"? Bullshit. They couldn't even get tough enough glass for for the observation room FFS. This is going to be a huge issue for me for any sequel: I didn't buy that the park would open here and I certainly won't a second time. The other options have really been done, dinosaur gets out (Lost World) or someone goes to island (III).

I didn't really like how self-aware the movie was. All the talk of how nobody wants to see T-Rex's anymore (and in-universe, I don't buy that. How longs the park been open? There's only one isn't there? How the fuck is anyone bored by a T-Rex, has everyone in the world already been loads of times?) seemed self-referential, and the way they turned dinosaurs into movie stars with your old favourites turning up at opportune moments felt more like a Godzilla movie than the general carnage of JP.

The DNA stuff didn't really land for me, they built up a mystery around what this thing was (I thought they might have thrown some human DNA in for a while) and then it just turned out to be frog and raptor? The whole plot around Ingen and Wu didn't really have time to be fleshed out properly.

Few other little niggling things, loose ends. What was with the older brother staring at women all the time? That didn't really go anywhere. Why the hell did Aunt Claire bring the kids along for Operation Raptor? Surely GTFO ASAP would be your priority. Older brother going through a fence that was clearly broken by a dinosaur, after a warning to return? Oh, and not once, not twice, but THRICE they pull the 'no phone signal' card? Lame.

I didn't really like how self-aware the movie was. All the talk of how nobody wants to see T-Rex's anymore (and in-universe, I don't buy that. How longs the park been open? There's only one isn't there? How the fuck is anyone bored by a T-Rex, has everyone in the world already been loads of times?) seemed self-referential, and the way they turned dinosaurs into movie stars with your old favourites turning up at opportune moments felt more like a Godzilla movie than the general carnage of JP.

haha, I read in an article that the movie making so much money proves the writers wrong regarding the premise that people would get bored with dinosaurs.

I didn't really like how self-aware the movie was. All the talk of how nobody wants to see T-Rex's anymore (and in-universe, I don't buy that. How longs the park been open? There's only one isn't there? How the fuck is anyone bored by a T-Rex, has everyone in the world already been loads of times?

They showed the park had a capacity of about 20,000 people, so if it's been open for 20 years and each visitor has only been once, for one day, they could have had 146M unique visitors max. So 98% of the world is like 'Eh, live dinosaurs. I've seen them on youtube. I'm not interested unless they make some new killing machine.'

If you hang a rifle on the wall you better shoot it..that's me butchering a quote I barely remember . When I saw giant whale croc Dino eat the shark I told my friend "bet you that thing eats the I-Rex. Why else put it in the film?

I was still mildly entertained and it was a fun nostalgia fest. Even with all its flaws.

Archived