Jurassic World- Spoiler Thread

AndyBaelish

So as I said in the normal thread, I enjoyed the movie on its own merits.

Jurassic Park is in a league of its own. There was absolutely no way this world ends up being as good as the original. With that in mind- it didn't need to be.

This isn't Jurassic Park. This isnt a Spielberg film.

This is a summer action movie. And in terms of being a summer action movie- it delivers in spades.

Pros-

The Score

Michael Giaccochino outdid himself. The way he weaved his new themes in and out of the original score was fantastic. I had chills on my arms the first time you hear the theme playing over the aerial shot over the working park.

The Raptor Bros

How in the hell did that work? I loved that they weren't just domesticated pets. I got that old familiar feeling of dread every time they were on screen. They were trained, but they were still animals.

Not to mention the release the hounds scene was fantastic.

The Indominous

No, I don't like the whole hybrid storyline (more on that in a second), but it gave us the Indominous and well- she was a sight. I loved that she wasn't just some evil force for the heroes to ruin away from. She was a scared animal.

Also a murder machine, but you know.

The Callbacks

Okay so the visitor center? THE visitor center? That was awesome. I will not apologize for fanboying out over that.

The Little Details

the Jurassic Park shirt, Ian Malcolm's book on the control room, the nightvision goggles, the dilophosaur etc. All of that helped build up the world.

Pratt

Not much else to add. He was pretty much the only human character I liked. Oh hey. That leads to...

Cons

Dialogue

No amount of excuses can defend that godawful dialogue. Yeah there were some good lines, but almost every conversation had me cringing.

How? How is that possible?

The characters

Every single character is an archetype. There is no Grant. There is no Ian Malcolm. There's science man! Park owner guy! Military asshole! The kids!

The Writing in General

I know this movie has been in developmental hell for damn near 15 years. I know that. I know there was multiple writers, multiple writing teams, etc.

But would it have hurt them to choose just one plotline?

The militarization of ingen? Cool, let me see that movie.

Kids missing in the park? We already know that makes a great movie.

Just pick one. Jurassic World doesn't need to be overly complicated. It's a dinosaur movie.

Despite all of that, I still really like the movie. I had fun.

It's a solid 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

I'd almost be willing to bump it up a point or two for the return of Rexy and the smashing of the Spinosaur skeleton.

But again, that might just be my raging fanboyism.

Edit for grammar and spelling. Damn you phone!

Yeah you hit pretty much everything. We didn't even get a chance to have enough dialog to hate someone enough to cheer when they got killed. Altough I don't remember Wu being as sinister in the first film but I guess 20 years is a long time.

Interesting point that touched on far to breifly was the idea that if you big dinosaurs back eventually its just going to be routine. Which was where the push for bigger and better dinos was comming from In fact the only person in the entire film who acted like it wasn't routine was the younger brother.

It was fine for what it is but it felt more like the pilot for a TV show then something on the big screen.

I wonder if in this universe The Lost World never happened because if that was true it would be fantastic

Dinos! I enjoyed all things with dinos in them.

But am I to believe that the manager of a large theme park on a tropical island, whose job entails going from lab to business room to experimental enclosure, doesn't wear flats or at least carry a pair of practical shoes with her at all times? Ugh. She would've gotten stuck in the mud the first time she stepped out of her car on the job.

The T in T-Rex stands for teamwork. :P

I found it highly entertaining. Good dino scenes, nice moments of humor, and some of drama.

The acting was fine, the story was mostly good, but peppered with scenes of human utter stupidity.

Good soundtrack.

It was pretty clear to me even from the trailers which dinosaur was going to take down the I-Rex, but the dino fight at the end was pretty enjoyable. I found Katie Mcgrath's death the most horrifying scene in the movie, though those pterodactyls really shouldn't be able to pick up adult humans.

A close 8/10.

Edit: And I finally got to see the Star Wars trailer in a theater, in all its glory!!!

... and really fucking annoying children. I'll only go and see it if someone can confirm that the two children are savagely killed.

And I mean really, really savagely. These two kids needs to atone for all the other annoying child survivors in other shit like this.

I think it's something about these new generations. The kids in Jurassic Park are perfectly acceptable. They act like kids, and are sometimes annoying. But there's nothing actually wrong with them.

These days, every kid in every movie is a fucking nightmare.

Note: I got it that the kid was autistic or some shit, but did it need to be driven down my throat every other goddamn scene? I mean, for fuck's sake I get it. He's a special flower who's unique and no less important because of his lack of social skills.

The dino-park lady was fucking horrible. Nothing she does at any point in the story is interesting or plausible. The military guy made me wanna eat glass. And the kids' mom displayed some of the worst acting I've ever seen or heard or read about.

The Good:

1. Some cool scenes, particularly those with the iRex attacking the Hamster Ball, the iRex vs T-Rex, and anything with the Mosasaur. The two "commandos vs dinosaurs" scenes were alright as well, even if I think the second one was inferior to the "raptors in the tall grass" scene from Lost World. The park looked really good.

2. Some decent acting, even without good characters. Bryce Dallas Howard does a good job with very little given to her in terms of a character, B.D. Wong gets a scene tantamount to what he had in the original novel about the dinosaurs not being "real" already, and so forth.

3. Entertaining overall, such that I don't regret seeing it.

The Bad

1. Super- thin characters. I can't even remember the names of the kids, the inGen antagonist guy, or Bryce Dallas Howard's character, and Pratt's Owen Brady is Mr. Awesome Ex-Military (of course) Raptor Whisperer. The fact that he's such a badass drains some of the tension from his scenes, although thankfully not much. I doubt I'll remember any of them much aside from B.D. Wong's appearance as Harry Wu, and he's like Old Spock in the new Star Trek movies - a refugee from an older series.

2. Weird editing. The movie makes tons of homages to the original Jurassic Park film, and it does so in a jarring way in the first half of the movie. "Oh look, how wondrous it is to be here as kids!"* *switch* "Oh god the iRex is loose, escaping,etc!" *switch* "Yay, let's go ride in the hamster ball!" I guess it was supposed to build up a sense of complacency among the characters so that they and the other people in the park are super-shocked when the dinosaurs attack, but it didn't work.

3. Annoying off-the-island baggage. I watched the original film a few days ago, and early on there was a tiny aside from the Ore Digger Guy to Gennaro that Hammond wasn't there to meet him because he wanted to be with his daughter, who was getting a divorce. Would the film have been improved by expanding on that, by talking and showing more about it and how it connected to Lex and Tim like it did in the novel? I don't think so. Same thing for the whole "kids' parents getting a divorce" subplot. Or with the implied connection between Pratt and Howard, who have little chemistry with each other (although Howard does great in scenes with the brothers).

4. The whole military applications sub-plot. Ugh. They really couldn't think of a better reason to have Pratt be the Raptor Whisperer?

* Those are actually some cool scenes with the brothers, where the younger brother especially conveys that awesome sense of wonder about it all.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed seeing it, and it wasn't boring or anything like that. Just not particularly good either. It's like with the New Star Trek movies and older Star Trek - fun, but pretty insubstantial.

The writing was horrid... but dinosaurs can wash away a lot of sins... overall it was fun

One day, Hollywood will figure out that putting kids in these movies is like trying to swim with a cinderblock tied to your feet... The perilous clichés are unbearable... even kids hate watching other kids in action movies

There is one scene that's pretty gruesome, and just gets worse the more you think about it. Remember how the assistant was picked up by a pterosaur and dropped into the mosasaur tank - whereupon said mosasaur rose up and ate them both? She was probably alive when it swallowed them, meaning she was swallowed alive and died inside of its stomach. Eurgh.

Saw it earlier tonight. It was a decent yet incredibly dumb and probably forgettable summer action movie. I will probably never, ever watch this again and I will forget about it before the end of the year, but I don't regret seeing it at all.

The Good:

Despite the plethora of dinosaurs clogging the movie, JW never reached annoying Star Wars-CGI level, where thousands of pointless and annoying CGI effects are jammed into every scene. It never gets gratuitous and that's... surprising for a big, summer blockbuster-type movie.

All the dumb shit from the trailer that I imagined I would end up hating (the raptor-bros, the gene-spliced super dino, commandos vs super dino) I ended up thinking actually worked really well. The trained raptors in particular they handled pretty well. By the end of the movie I actually ended up caring more for the raptor-bros than for most of the human characters. The gene-spliced super dino made sense and wasn't terrible so kudos to that.

Chris Pratt. Need I say more?

I like that they brought back Dr. Wu from what was little more than a bit part in the first film and fleshed him out. Nice callback to the original

The Indominus Rex was surprisingly pretty cool.

I want to read the Jurassic Park book now, which I've never done so, that's a good thing I guess?

The dumb:

The dialogue was all mostly fucking terrible.

The kids were incredibly annoying. In fact, most of the human characters were bland as hell and, to make matters worse I got the distinct impression that a good portion of the actors just didn't give a shit, Vincent D'Onofrio and Bryce Dallas-Howard in particular. Chris Pratt's character was maybe the most interesting aside from the park's owner and Wu, and he does well with what little he has. I found the velociraptors more compelling than all of the human skinbags.

As I was watching JW, I got the distinct impression that the film was following many of the same story and action beats as in the original. I don't know if these were supposed to be intentional callbacks or if the writers were just lazy, but it made the film feel like a poor copy of the original.

Overall, I'd probably give it a 6/10. I expected much, much worse so this was a nice surprise, I guess.

Well, that was certainly a movie. Really good CGI, but the most impressive thing was how they took Chris Pratt's charisma and Colin Trevorrow's talent for showing small-scale human drama and carefully blended them into an emotionless corporate spectacle. There were a lot of cool dinosaurs. It's nice when a movie hits you right in the lowered expectations. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of Axe Cop.

The more I think about it the more it reminds me of Twister. (1996) visually impressive and really fantastic to watch on the big screen but once you bought it home it looked like crap.

DON'T YOU TALK SHIT ABOUT TWISTER!!!

I watched that move more than 100 times, easily.

This movie kind of sucked. Its suckiness was concealed well enough for the first 80 minutes or so, but after that it became blatantly apparent. While I still enjoyed myself and don't consider this an abomination of a film (better than TLW and JP!!!), there are a few things that really bugged me:

1) Pretty much all the dinosaurs. The iRex had a cool design, but the Pavlovian raptors and T-Rex as a chess piece just robbed the carnivores of any terror. The meso was cool until it became the third man in the climactic 3-v-1

2) Bryce Dallas Howard. Why didn't she die, or at least, why did they completely abandon her character? She was basically the cold hearted company servant with no respect for the animals and no real experience, she made a number of errors resulting in loss of human life....and then suddenly she's Ripley, Jr., running around the park with everyone else, then happily ever after

3) The various "themes," particularly the dinosaurs for military purposes. It was stupid in Aliens and it is stupid now, there's no point fighting a war with a weapon you will later need to fight. Even the smaller themes like humans growing tired of certain dinosaurs were completely underdeveloped. I get it, humans/Americans are fickle consumers, but come on, zoos have been around hundreds of years and still do good business. How long as JW even been around? I'm sure they said in the film but I'd estimate 10 years at MOST.

There's more, but it mostly all revolves around the awful, awful climax. First hour+ was entertaining though and Pratt/Howard gave good performances

I love how they left it wide open for Jurassic World 2!!!

The best part is they can save tons of money because the ending is EXACTLY the same as Jurassic World. I'm not talking similar i'm talking copy and paste baby!

This works seamlessly because obviously the plot line of Jurassic World 2 is all about how they deal with the giant scary monster that is now on the loose with 20,000+ people still inside the park, which just so happened to be the antagonist of the ORIGINAL movie. HAHA I bet you thought I was going to talk about the Asian guy getting away with all that genetically modified Dino DNA. Nope, just cut right in to where they left off except instead of the Indominus they have a T-Rex on the loose. AWESOME! incoming 1bn dollar revenue stream!!! Raptor bros 4 LIFE!

Ha all jokes aside I enjoyed the movie 7/10. Action was awesome, and it had some great ideas (Indominus imo) but the plot lines were sloppy and the characters (Pratt aside) were weak at BEST.

One of the big cons for me with this movie was the lack of strong female characters. In Jurassic Park you have Ellie Sattler, and Lex who both awesome characters. Both contributed to the plot, and help the survivors make it off the island. But they are so scared, dirty, and traumatized by the whole experience. Dr. Sattler especially was just so cool.

Compare that to Claire, who wears a white skirt and high heels through out the movie. Including when she tells Larry to release the T-Rex to fight I-Rex. To reiterate that she is standing outside of the T-Rex enclosure intentionally wanting to bate it, and run from it in high heels! It's just so fucking stupid, that it ruined the scene for me. Also the fact that her eyeliner staid perfect through the movie was "awesome". /sarcasm

This was very disappointing. Jurassic World to Jurassic Park is what Terminator 3 was to Terminator 1 and 2.

First off it suffers from having too many characters, which results in them all being mere cardboard cutout cliches borrowed from other film - Han solo badass, Ice Queen who comes good, Military grunt, Geeky office guy, Scientist, Black guy, Mother, Naive billionaire. Chris Pratt's "characterisation" relied solely on looking super cool. Dallas Howard the busy exec's characterisation consists of being on the phone all the time. Their romance comes from nowhere and feels forced. Private Pile is our typical military jarhead. Omar Sy was completely wasted and did nothing there was literally no reason for him being in that movie. Khan and Judy Greer were underused. The dialogue was basic at best and did nothing to develop the characters, so we could surmise exactly who and what they were within 30 seconds of their introduction.

The film puts in some nice visuals, though it's pointless paying extra to see it in 3D. Ultimately, the movie tried to fall back on staging a 20 minute cgi-fest dinosaur fight which was far too predictable and lacked any imagination whatsoever. The film made no effort to get us invested in any characters and lacked any real feeling or atmosphere - all the elements which made the original such a hit. Children will probably enjoy it though it may be too violent for some. Adults with any intelligence and who grew up with the original will be disappointed at this missed opportunity. If nothing else it at least made me appreciate Jurassic Park all the more.

I couldn't enjoy it nearly as much as I should have. I spent a good chunk of the film pondering how a park like that went about getting insurance and the plethora of liability issues. I did enjoy the scene with the Raptor and the holographic Spitter though. It reminded me of the scene in Total Recall with the holographic Quaid.

It was fun, almost perfect example of a 7/10 film, I'll likey forget almost everything that happened in it in the coming months had some cool shots, the effects were good and other than the heels and guns nothing too annoying.

But the guns did annoy me a lot though. JP worked with the fear because for the vast majority of it the characters were justifiably unarmed and with most of the staff gone and the fences down all they really had in way of protection was a single game warden with a shotgun.

Its what pissed me off about 3 so much the mercs had a rifle that blows up planes with a single shot yet can't seem to hit a giant animal.

But in this one somehow you have the Idothingy rex just tanking hundreds of bullets (the forest firefight when the raptors change sides), taking shotgun rounds to the face no problem (when the Containment guys get wiped out) plus it was their detail at the site containing the new one of a kind super dino seems to be one fat security guard and a Latino guy where the raptor pen has like 30 folk hanging about at all times.

But am I to believe that the manager of a large theme park on a tropical island, whose job entails going from lab to business room to experimental enclosure, doesn't wear flats or at least carry a pair of practical shoes with her at all times? Ugh. She would've gotten stuck in the mud the first time she stepped out of her car on the job.

I'm not annoyed about that - she has important business meeting with potential sponsors, then important meeting with the owner/her employer/direct boss. This could be a special wardrobe day ;)

I was kind of WTF when kids saw their aunt killing flying dino and rescuing some unfamiliar guy and still stated that they want to stay with him - when he didn't do anything awesome in their presence yet. Ugh, stereotypes.

Archived