Feminism - Distractingly Sexy Edition

Lyanna Stark

On 5/17/2016 at 1:00 PM, TerraPrime said:

I only read the screen captures but I think they just expressed a right idea in a very poor way. I think the phenomenon of "booth babes" is real, and I applaud convention organizers who want to put a stop to it. How that bleeds over to cosplay, I am not sure. But it sounds to me like that is what they want to stop. They used problematic language that slut shames and devalues women's bodies in the process, and for that they should be called out for it and be held accountable. No argument on that.

What is also not good in their response is that apparent conviction that there's an orthodoxy to cosplay, that you have to make your own cotumes and props. I'm not so sure that it's someone else's place to define for other people what is and what isn't cosplay*. I think it's okay for the organizer to say that "we will promote this type of cosplay, but not that type," but it's not okay to say "this is cosplay, and that is not." In that, I think the organizers crossed a line.

Couldn't agree with this more. It should've ended with the first exchange, but I think the promoter's heart is in the right place. I have to say I'm a little puzzled regarding the whole "professional cosplay" scene, as to me it's always been about fans dressing up and going to cons to have a good time. It seems to me that when you bring money into it, you also bring the whole "booth babe" thing with that.  

/Just wanted to add that I thought the cosplayer's first response practically begged for a snarky retort. How are you supposed to make money? That's our problem how?

On 7/1/2016 at 10:19 AM, Elder Sister said:

I just came to hide out in this thread for a bit and gird my loins, so to speak.  Here lately I have had to deal with several creepy coworkers who seem to think that offers of unsolicited back rubs and beers (when they know I've been in AA for 25+ years) should be met with joyful abandon.

And of course, they are now sulking because that didn't happen.  

I keep thinking that as I get older, this crap will stop.  

UGH!   What, you're supposed to rip your shirt off and run for the hot oil and keg stand?   FFS.  How do these men still have jobs?  I'm sorry ES.  Truly bad behavior on their part.   

Archived