House Dayne = Irrelevant?

Dragon Seed

Other than a sword made from a falling star, what's the big deal with them? Arthur, while considered a great knight and member of the kingsguard is long dead.

The lone surviving members of the house are Edric Dayne, the current Lord of Starfall lost somewhere in the Riverlands with the BwoB and Allyria Dayne, Edric's aunt who is betrothed to Beric Dondarrion who is dead.

They're one death away from being an extinct house. So what's House Dayne's role going forward? Do you think they'll have any role in the final two books? Is Edric going to show up and play a role?

Will House Dayne be relevant or irrelevant?

First thing first, the Daynes are far from extinct, I remind you that they are dornish, where Edric's aunt can inherit his lands with no one batting an eye. (not even mentioning the Daynes of High Hermitage)

Anyway GRRM doesn't release the Dayne's house word because they spoil the future, which means the house will be pretty important in the coming book.

First thing first, the Daynes are far from extinct, I remind you that they are dornish, where Edric's aunt can inherit his lands with no one batting an eye. (not even mentioning the Daynes of High Hermitage)

Anyway GRRM doesn't release the Dayne's house word because they spoil the future, which means the house will be pretty important in the coming book.

I would say that with only one aunt alive and Lord Edric lost in the Riverlands they are near extinct. The Daynes of High Hermitage are a cadet branch akin to the Karstarks in the north so they really don't play into the survival of House Dayne.

I'm thinking that at some point Edric is going to have a big impact. I agree that Martin has to have some role for house Dayne since he keeps mentioning them. But what role could it be? Could Edric reappear to wield his House's famous sword against the Others?

Just a thought............if not the sword Dawn playing a future role, could proof of R+L=J be at Starfall? We know George likes to throw curve balls at us and as of this moment we think that the proof is in the Winterfell crypts. Maybe there's proof stored away with the Daynes.

Just a thought............if not the sword Dawn playing a future role, could proof of R+L=J be at Starfall? We know George likes to throw curve balls at us and as of this moment we think that the proof is in the Winterfell crypts. Maybe there's proof stored away with the Daynes.

I agree with this I believe Ned and Howland turned to the Daynes for help

There's something off about them. Ned killed one of their (most famous) family members and their current lord is nicknamed Ned? I don't get it.

I'm curious as to how the words of a house could be a spoiler. Not doubting GRRM said that but how could it be a spoiler?

Yes, the more I think about it, Arthur was Rhaegar's best friend, and Arthur's sister(Ashara?) had a thing for Ned. Both Arthur and Ned have a common reputation for honor and loyalty. I would make sense for Ned to think that traveling with the new born fBastard Jon Snow was risky enough and carrying proof of R+L=J would just add bigger risk.

There's something off about them. Ned killed one of their (most famous) family members and their current lord is nicknamed Ned? I don't get it.

I'm curious as to how the words of a house could be a spoiler. Not doubting GRRM said that but how could it be a spoiler?

Agree. Ned kills the most famous heir of Starfall, buries him at ToJ, returns one of a kind ancestral sword to his house and then just rides off into the sunset? And House Dayne supplied a wet nurse for Jon, a wet nurse that was also feeding Edric. Imagine that, a noble house allowing a bastard to share the breast milk that's for a highborn babe. House Dayne had to have had a million questions and I doubt Ned would have been allowed to leave without answering these questions to their satisfaction.

Well it was war and their culture is all about honor and duty so bringing the family sword back to the family is a very honorable thing to do death comes with the job for poor Arthur. I'm torn on the name Edric not sure if he is named after Eddard or not can't make up my mind it appears that the N in Ed is for pronounciation so any name that could be shortened to Ed gets a N to make it Ned.

If Edric Storm wasn't named Edric I would have thought I was rite but since Ned is Roberts best friend it kinda makes sense that Edric is named after him.

My theory on the Dayne house words is that they are a huge part of a puzzle !

What I mean by this is I think the house words are all a puzzle or puzzles like house Hightower is we light the way then comes the Princes pass and the kings road then Winter is coming ! Is Winter King Winter ? Just a weird theory if it's all about Jon and the puzzle starts where he started in Dorne.

Agree. Ned kills the most famous heir of Starfall, buries him at ToJ, returns one of a kind ancestral sword to his house and then just rides off into the sunset? And House Dayne supplied a wet nurse for Jon, a wet nurse that was also feeding Edric. Imagine that, a noble house allowing a bastard to share the breast milk that's for a highborn babe. House Dayne had to have had a million questions and I doubt Ned would have been allowed to leave without answering these questions to their satisfaction.

Good idea with the breast milk and the bastard.

House Dayne is not irrelevant. Since their words are an important clue to, well, something, they are bound to be in the next book or the one after. I mean, what use would saying their words are important be if you are just going to have them have no impact whatsoever?

I'm thinking that they will reemerge at the end of TWoW. This would give Martin enough space to tie up all the loose ends and journeys of the current group before dropping another bomb on us. I could see him waiting until the very end before giving us readers the ultimate jaw dropping ....... "I did not see that coming" reaction.

I'm thinking that they will reemerge at the end of TWoW. This would give Martin enough space to tie up all the loose ends and journeys of the current group before dropping another bomb on us. I could see him waiting until the very end before giving us readers the ultimate jaw dropping ....... "I did not see that coming" reaction.

Perhaps we get the truth about Jon's parentage from them. They know SOMETHING, that much is sure. Perhaps Edric's comment about having been milbrothers with Jon was a clue that Starfall is just as important to Jon as Winterfell was.

Durran Durrandon has a great theory about the Daynes in his expose of Daenerys is the Amethyst Empress Reborn. It makes reasonable sense that House Dayne has the Valyrian looks (light colored hair and purples eyes) without having Targaryen ancestry and that they maybe remnants of people that crossed over with Azor Ahai in order to defeat the darkness. Plus it is suspicious that House Dayne has Valyrian traits and that the house survived relatively intact since coming over following the fallen star.

But I agree with everyone that House Dayne is very suspicious but I wouldn't put it past GRRM to make them suspicious but them not having much to do in the final books.

Well Jon's wet nurse is at Starfall and she was at the ToJ so unless she hasn't said anything to anyone then the Daynes know about Jon.

Also Wylla was Jon's wet nurse before Edrics.Your forgetting how young the squire is.

Also Wylla was more than likely at the ToJ as we are told after Lyanna dies THEY find him still holding her hand.

Durran Durrandon has a great theory about the Daynes in his expose of Daenerys is the Amethyst Empress Reborn. It makes reasonable sense that House Dayne has the Valyrian looks (light colored hair and purples eyes) without having Targaryen ancestry and that they maybe remnants of people that crossed over with Azor Ahai in order to defeat the darkness. Plus it is suspicious that House Dayne has Valyrian traits and that the house survived relatively intact since coming over following the fallen star.

But I agree with everyone that House Dayne is very suspicious but I wouldn't put it past GRRM to make them suspicious but them not having much to do in the final books.

Also this about Dawn from The World of Ice and Fire

"The Daynes of Starfall are one of the most ancient houses in the Seven Kingdoms, though their fame largely rests on their ancestral sword, called Dawn, and the men who wielded it. Its origins are lost to legend, but it seems likely that the Daynes have carried it for thousands of years. Those who have had the honor of examining it say it looks like no Valyrian steel they know, being pale as milkglass but in all other respects it seems to share the properties of Valyrian blades, being incredibly strong and sharp."

Another thought.............. It appears that Valyrian steel is the only thing that can kill the Others. If there is a NK and he is the leader and stronger/more powerful than the Others he leads, could he be immune to VS and it would take another type of material to kill him? Say something as strong and sharp as VS, something like Dawn?

A lady can inherit anywhere in Westeros, not just in Dorne. Examples would be Lady Rohanne Webber, Queen Cersie Lannister, and Lady Anya Waynwood (all three of whom had male relatives alive when they inherited). Also, the Daynes are considered stony Dornishman, with customs and traditions that are more in line with the rest of Westeros. It is more likely that they follow Andal tradition then they do Rhoynar tradition, like the Salty and Sandy Dornishmen do.

Archived