Audiobooks and the importance of the narrator

Night'sQueen

...But after Reese Witherspoon, now any narrator will sound good.....

I understand why publishers would seek out a Hollywood Name to read an audio book, just as many animated films are voiced by Hollywood Names in an attempt to draw in additional viewers and listeners who are fans of the voice talent.

The thing is, few Hollywood Names possess the sort of nuanced tones that I enjoy listening to.  And some Hollywood Names are people I don't care for, and as TAJ states, their voices distract the reader or viewer from the story.

It can be frustrating to have good story detracted from in this way, and it is just as bad an experience as a poorly-produced LibriVox effort with background noise or non-native English speaker or quirky voice.

Neil Gaiman is an excellent reader.

Funny you should mention him as "slow regard" and Rothfuss' delivery made me think " I should get hold of some more Gaiman short stories" Just checked and he narrates almost all of his books :)

I've only recently really gotten into the idea of audiobooks, so I don't have much of a frame of reference to work from. 

The last thing I listened to was The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Stephen Fry narrates the first novel, and Martin Freeman does the rest. 

I adore Fry, he might be one of my favourite people alive and I could listen to him narrate anything and I'd probably like it. 

Freeman makes a very interesting narrator as well, which I was pleasantly surprised by. His reading seems quite dramatic (if I can put it that way), especially after Fry's quite reserved voice. 

I'm currently on the 3rd book in the series, and I'm enjoying it immensely. 

I do agree that the narrator makes a massive difference when it comes to the enjoyment of a novel. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I plan on doing some rereads, but in audiobook format.Are these the one's to get (the narrators specifically) ?

Tawny Man trilogy read by Nick Taylor

First Law trilogy read by Steven Pacey

Gentlemen Bastard series read by Michael Page

Steven Pacey is very good. It's a shame they switched from Paul Boehmer after the Assassin trilogy but I guess it could work in terms of different POVs.

Republic of thieves was fine when i listened to it. Some of the characters sound cartoonish (but some of the characters are cartoonish). His Jean is quite endearing.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Gilfellon said:

I tried listening to Brian Mcclellans short stories and novellas on Audible. Most were okay, but the ones done by Daniel Dorse were horrible. He sounds as though he can't be arsed. He sounds like he hates fantasy and is just going to do the worst job possible

I thought you were exaggerating so I looked some up, and you were right, that was god-awful.

if you are a member of audible.com, there is a great sale on that includes fantasy audibooks.  it ends tomorrow night.  you have to be a member (and signed in) to see it.  you can become a member, get a free credit for 1 book, and then cancel you membership if you want.

1 hour ago, bakkerfans said:

if you are a member of audible.com, there is a great sale on that includes fantasy audibooks.  it ends tomorrow night.  you have to be a member (and signed in) to see it.  you can become a member, get a free credit for 1 book, and then cancel you membership if you want.

is that just US? The one on the UK isn't that extensive.

13 hours ago, bakkerfans said:

idk, i'm seeing 150+ books for $4.95, some of which are fantasy

I think the $ are a give-away. I checked the UK site and there's nothing obvious. That, said it's only a month since they had a 50% reduction on everything so can't complain.

On 2/7/2016 at 9:35 AM, AncalagonTheBlack said:

I plan on doing some rereads, but in audiobook format.Are these the one's to get (the narrators specifically) ?

Tawny Man trilogy read by Nick Taylor

First Law trilogy read by Steven Pacey

Gentlemen Bastard series read by Michael Page

I haven't read the Tawny Man trilogy but the Pacey reading of First Law and the Page reading of the Gentleman Bastard books are both fantastic IMO. 

As Red Snow pointed out Page's delivery of certain characters is a bit cartoonish but I consider that a positive.

Archived