[Poll] How would you rate episode 510?

Ran

How would you rate episode 510?  

1,157 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

Thought there were too many plot holes in this one.

1. How did Brienne find Stannis among the fighting?

2. How did Brienne remain safe while the fighting was going on?

3. Why did Brienne abandon Sansa to barge into a battle to find Stannis, which would have been extremely unlikely since Stannis was surrounded? Why not use the distraction to save Sansa? What happened to her oath?

4. How did that bitch deliver poison to Jaime's daughter? By kissing on the cheek? Please...

5. How did all those riders find Dany at that exact moment?

6. How did Tyrion and company escape the battle with all those harpies?

7. How did the witch travel so fast to Castle Black?

8. Where is the black guy that was the faceless man? Seems he's gone and now it's just Jaqen.

9. No one heard Meryn Trant's screams in the brothel and ran to rescue him?

10. Why did Trant not fight back?

11. Why didn't Lancel do the walk of shame?

12. Why did Cersei confess in the first place, what evidence is there?

13. Sansa and Theon are too high up to survive a fall.

14. How did Stannis not know that his men left, as they were leaving? How did he not know that he was being surrounded until it was too late?

15. Why did Sansa drop that tool she used to escape? It could have been useful again.

Also, the walk of shame lasted far too long...

Kissing on the cheek? Have you watched that episode at all?

Sansa and Theon are jumping into big pile of snow. Although they should break something. Jeyne broke some parts of her in the book.

Mixed feelings really

They did some storylines from the books well. Such as the walk of shame, others competently like “For the watch”. Also Arya’s scenes were great all episode. However it left me feeling a little empty like much of the season.

Dorne continued to be a dreadful waste of time, as it had been all season. Instead of some surprising last minute reveal we just had Ellaria finally succeeding in killing Mycella for no apparent reason.

I think as well that they were too respectful in not wanting to spoil anything for any of the major characters. The Dany cliffhanger was as per the books and worked well. We will have to wait for the next season to see how the Dothraki treat her.

The Jon cliffhanger does not work in the show. If he is indeed resurrected he will be filming in a couple of months and it will be revealed all over the internet. How is that an incentive to come back next season?. Meanwhile a few hundred thousand of the more casual fans will see another favourite being killed and may drift away. Being willing to kill characters is good, killing off all the favourites makes people stop watching.

If Jon is going to be resurrected then they should have done it at the end of the episode. Now that would have been a great ending.

Overall an 8 and a 7 for the season as a whole.

... Nonsensical plot holes and the absolute joke of the Winterfell resolution - my god has the writing of the show descended from season 1

Agree completely. It's really shocking how bad it's gotten - Season 1 was sublime ... Season 4 was horrendously bad (except for Arya) - but Season 5 has sunk to unimaginable depths - it's like they just don't care - they're patching together plot holes with duct tape and chewing gum and every time they plug a hole they open up a dozen more. And they're forcing characters to go completely out of character in every episode. Forget about whether it lives up to the books - it should be compared to other HBO and AMC shows - and it fails catastrophically by that metric.

Does anyone else think that based on all those cliffhangers, D and D are almost TRYING to let GRRM get WoW out in the next 10 months? Like this is it. Either he gets it out or we really start being spoiled (the stuff that is off the book map so far doesn't seem like legit spoilers so...?)

Anyway. It's a 5/10 for me. I don't mind all the cliffhangers but none of the plots actually felt like they were earned, especially For the Watch and The Walk of Shame. Jon and the the men of the Night's Watch never really had words (only strong looks) about what he was doing with the Wildlings and Cersei never really showed how terrible a ruler she really is, using her body to get men to do what she wants.

LIKED

--"I'm glad the end of the world is working out well for someone..." Ah, yes. That's the Jon Snow brand of humor I so love.

--"Go on, do your duty." I actually thought that scene was well done. At least Stannis's character assassination is over.

--I really loved Sansa's outfit this episode.

--Arya killing Trant was EPIC. That was incredible. (the lead up the scene not so much...but the actual scene? FAB) And now she's blind. Glad they are keeping that.

--"Does he always talk this much?" *Jorah nods* The entire Daario/Jorah/Tyrion scene was actually good. Funny.

--"If I ever kill you, your eyes will be wide open." That's my Bear!!!!

--Davos's face when he learned Shireen was dead. ARG. Heartbreak.

MIXED

--Ok, I'm glad that Sam is going to Oldtown because I think that's going to be a major plot line in WoW...BUT. Why is Sam asking? No. The show needs to have Jon TELLING Sam to go. It's part of those "hard decisions" Jon has to make that show that he's killed the boy to let the man live. Sam is terrified of going to Oldtown, of being a Maester because of all his childhood trauma at the hands of his father. It should be Jon's direct order, to show that while Sam is his trusted friend, as LC he doesn't have the luxury of friends.

--We actually got the jump off of Winterfell! But...tell me there was a huge pile of snow to catch Theon and Sansa? Also...where are they going? Stannis is dead, the Baratheon army defeated. Where...?

--Of course Daario and Jorah are going off to find Dany together. OF COURSE. Because nothing says comedic gold like messy love triangles! God. I need to drink now.

--So Dany hasn't tamed Drogon? She can't fly him at will. Golly. Glad that is exactly how it is in the books. NOT. But Drogon "go away mom" was kinda funny.

--The Walk of Shame was well done, including Cersei's meeting with the Sparrow. But...Lena looked "too good." Cersei's is supposed to realize during this walk that her body has been worn down by age and childbirth. She's supposed to realize that she's not half as beautiful as she once thought. Also, the "shame! shame! shame!" got a little tedious

DISLIKED

--Why doesn't Mel wear Red anymore? Maybe that's nitpicky of me, but what is with all the purple this season? She's not the Purple Woman.

--RIP Seleyes? Maybe I'd be sad over this if the show hadn't done it's hardest to make her as unlikable as possible. Not that the books fair much better, but she's not *that* bad in the books as compared to the show.

--Um. Mel left Stannis....why? Because men deserted him? Because religious zealot Mel would simply say that their faith is weak and that all Stannis needs is her Lord of Light.

--OMG. Mel has the same transporter as Littflefinger?! WHAT IS THIS BLACK MAGIC

--Brienne spent 90% of this season staring at WF from different angles and when her big moment finally comes....she turns away and doesn't see the candle (that one would be hard pressed to see in daylight anyway...) in the window. God that's just silly writing.

--Hey guess what I don't need! A scene of Meryn Trant BEATING LITTLE GIRLS. I don't need a reason to hate him, D and D! We already do! Arya doesn't need more motivation to kill him. He's on the list. He goes down. STOP WITH THIS.

--"You want a good girl, but you need a bad pussy." JESUS. Can we all collectively agree to forget Dorne FOREVER?

--RIP Myrcella?!?!? The hell?! I mean, yes she's going to die in the books but that was the single dumbest death. So let me get this straight. I'm supposed to believe that they recast Myrcella because she has such a big role to play...and she did jack squat all season. PLEASE. They recast her so that they could age her up and have her make moon eyes at Trystane.

--Jaime does his best Darth Vader impression. "I am your father!" "I know." OH FOR THE LOVE OF...."I am 100% being okay with being a bastard of incest, dad!"

--How in the name of sanity did Tyrion, Jorah, and Daario get away from the Sons of the Harpy?????????

--"Only the Unsullied can keep the peace in Meereen" SO WHAT SHOW HAVE THEY BEEN WATCHING CAUSE THE UNSULLIED DID NOTHING TO KEEP THE PEACE IN MEEREEN ALL SEASON EXCEPT GET THEIR ASSES HANDED TO THEM.

--Varys is in Meereen and just randomly gets into the Pyramid to talk to Tyrion. Okay. Is he secretly Reznak or the Shavepate?!

--Uh. The Dothraki Sea has changed a wee bit, no? Funny cause in the books it has also changed except Show!Dothraki Sea seems to be blissful and not suffering from DEATH cause you know...WINTER IS COMING.

--No Visions on the Sea. Those are so so so so so so important for Book! Dany. Where is my "remember your house words..." where is my "dragons plant no trees..." WHERE. Whatever. Show! Dany hasn't been Book! Dany all season. Why am I even shocked.

--OMG the Dothraki became Native Americans?!

--Please tell me I misheard and that Jon Snow's final word was not "Olly." Please tell me that is a thing that did not happen. WHERE THE HELL IS GHOST PUPPY?!

Hey you leave the Sand Snakes alone, Bad Pussy, Mug Shot and Slappy are totally crucial to the series. They, they ummm have double daggers, and a whip and a spear, and boobs abd that is just as deep as it gets.

Honestly Lena can't help the way she looks, she has taken care of herself so good for her. I am not going to ask her to change her body with child birth so she resembles Cersei more physically.

I agree with the likes, although I did not mind Varys and Tyrion, mostly because Meereen is not a closed city and he was going there. At least on the show.

As for the mixed, I don't get the removal of Jon's choices, agree of disagree with them they are suppose to be his choices good or bad. Lord Commanders command, yet everyone was telling Jon what to do or doing what they wanted.

As for the jump it is going to snow a lot before they hit bottom, but remember the snow has been melting to the point that the roads have opened. So a lot of melting which will be totally ignored next season.

Darrio and Jorah next season = Jaime and Bronn this season. But you know Jorah will give him a disease.

Dany did not have full control of Drogon in the begining of her last chapter, so I was ok with that, but he was with her wtf happened there?

I though the walk was well done.

On to the dislikes

Mel in purple, really is it purple, I thought it was more of a deep burgundy. What you should really ask yourself is where did she get the horse. We literally watch Stannis be told the defectors took all the horses, well except Sea Biscuit who they must have left with Mel. Either that or she got it from the replicator on the USS Enterprise.

Mel left because Stannis shoulder bumped her. Which I actually laughed at, the look on her face. God that was stupid.

Brienne of Tarth. Hello my name is Brienne of Tarth you killed my King prepare to die.

Jaime and Myrcella was a bad lifetime moment.

Only the Unsullied can keep the peace. Well the Unsullied and Varys and Tyrion. Personally I think Varys and Tyrion should of got the slow mo power walk cut scene but whatever.

The Dothraki sea appears to be in Ireland.

No Visions? Aaaah peaches you had to know that wasn't coming. That's why it is bad, but she has never had Visions on the show outside of the Undying. Remember who you are, well not much to remember , she is still clearly Lany Barbgarian distant cousin to Daenerys Targaryen.

Olly was in fact his last word and Ghost puppy left with his Master Sam. I mean really he shows up for Sam but not Jon. At least show Jon locking him up

Here's a poll I'd like to see:

Using the criterion that the show doesn't have to follow the book but has to make sense and be satisfying unto itself, which storylines have they ruined most egregiously?

Stannis in the North

Dany in Meereen

Jaime in Dorne

The Wildlings at The Wall

To me, those four are broken far below the standards of the worst made-for-tv B-movies. The acting is sublime; the music is sublime; the sets are sublime; some of the cinematography is sublime, but the WRITING and PLOTTING - my GOD - it's so so so bad.

Reddit has a good forum. The Watchers on the Wall do too. There are others . . . .

This one has extremely comprehensive analysis, but it attracts this anti-show sentiment....for some reason. can't put my finger on it. lol.

I'll tell you why. It's that same word that everyone is taking about now;TRUST. If you are going to undertake an adaptation of such a beloved series, you are taking on the trust of all it's loyal followers.

And that feeling of trust had been broken this season.

Also i don't get why season 5 haters are labeled as show haters. We only started hating this fanfiction when it became fanfiction.

Using the criterion that the show doesn't have to follow the book but has to make sense and be satisfying unto itself, which storylines have they ruined most egregiously?

Stannis in the North

Dany in Meereen

Jaime in Dorne

To me, those four are broken far below the standards of the worst made-for-tv B-movies. The acting is sublime; the music is sublime; the sets are sublime; some of the cinematography is sublime, but the WRITING and PLOTTING - my GOD - it's so so so bad.

Stannis in the North

Dany in Meereen

Jaime in Dorne

I think the person who should feel the most aggrieved is Ramin Djawadi. His music is the only part that had lived up to the books.

While I admit that FfC/DwD needed "fixing", they were much better than season 5.

Here's hoping that Grrm gets WoW out before season 6. And D&D start to follow the books again (What can i say, I'm merciful. I don't want this show to crash and burn)

Stannis in the North

Dany in Meereen

Jaime in Dorne

sorry, dp Edited by SyShaRa

It was a middling B+ range. The cliffhangers are nice but we pretty much know most characters who "died" are either alive/undead next season.

Podrick will find Sansa and Reek alive in a pile of snow.

Briene obviously spared Stannis cause she develops Stockholm syndrome to ANYONE near her.

And Melisandre resurrects Jon Snowheart who rescues Bran, Meera, and Hodor from beyond the wall.

Oh, I forgot, Daenerys is getting the Prince Who was Promised treatment so she is fine.

Edited by Anak Bulaclac

There were both good and bad things.

Lets talk about the good first:

+ Dany and Drogon was funny, also it's good that they left "breadcrumbs" so that she can be followed by the noble rescuers :D

+ Meereen was ok, and would've been even better if they would've dealt with the aftermath of the Harpy attack properly

+ Meryn "no one" Trant

+ At least they didn't butcher the words in "For The Watch" like some here predicted, I just hope they would've given us a proper hint as to what is going to happen next

+ I liked the "traitor" sign, and wish they had spelled it like "TR8OR" XD

+ Stannis probably didn't die

+ Melisandre got to play it a bit different this time, being all hopeless

+ The end of the Walk of Shame was good with Cersei breaking down... And Pycelle omg XD

+ Sansa looks to have gotten away

+ Myrcella and Jaime scene was enjoyable

+ SER ROBERT STRONG!!

OK then the more negative things, and just like the positives, there are many:

- Pacing issues all around. Like really big. Most everything seemed rushed even more so than in any other episode this season.

- Stannis vs Boltons battle was awful. No strategy. No tactics. No brains. Stannis just march right on Winterfell with very few men without preparing at all? And then get slaughtered like pigs... It was just really dumb.

- Arya "face-sliding" was peculiar to say the least. So they know how to make copies of faces now? ... Ye-yeah... :ack:

- No WunWun in For The Watch, and no final straw as in Jon suggesting they assist Stannis. Also where the hell are all the Wildlings?

- Myrcella dead? Lame to bring in a new actress for like 2 scenes the entire season. That was very anticlimactic.

- Prior to the Walk of Shame Cersei confessed to some heavy stuff, I think the Faith could have put her to death just based on the confession.

- It was obvious that they had a double with Cersei's face plastered on in many of the scenes, it kind of killed the mood. But I understand why obviously. So not a big minus.

- Brienne, if she actually killed Stannis. I thought she would help Sansa this episode.

- No Benjen, got my hopes up from the preview :crying:

All in all it's anything from between 7-9 / 10. They really need GRRM to start giving more input on the show. D&D can't do the story justice on screen on their own. Still it was as good as one could expect with GRRM writing tWoW and not participating in the creation of the show, and so was the whole season. Good, but not as good as it could've been..

Glad someone has mentioned this. Thought they got him spot on, though I expected him to have a bigger helmet or a hood covering his head - can't these folks realise he looks a little bit dead?! But in truth excellently done.

I'm giving it a 9 because Ghost Olly. That's pretty much my only beef.

• Theon and Sansa jumped - yay! (There was snow there people. No snow where Ramsay's gf landed.)
  • The Myrcella / Jaime moment was a pleasant surprise. Until she died that is.
  • Arya / Trant scene was satisfying but Arya was a little too... something. So it's like an A instead of A+.
  • Arya / Jaqen scene was trippy.
  • I wanted Stannis to repent.
  • Good lines in the scene with Dany's three wise men.
  • I love Varys and I wouldn't care if he came out of a bottle in a puff of smoke. I was happy to see him.
  • Good cinematography when the Dothraki surround Dany.
  • LENA HEADEY IS A FANTASTIC FUCKING ACTOR!!!! Damn, that was well done on her part. (I don't think we needed so many full body shots, but that's a small complaint.)

And Jon isn't dead. So all's well that ends well.

Edited by Night'sQueen

I'll tell you why. It's that same word that everyone is taking about now;TRUST. If you are going to undertake an adaptation of such a beloved series, you are taking on the trust of all it's loyal followers.

And that feeling of trust had been broken this season.

Also i don't get why season 5 haters are labeled as show haters. We only started hating this fanfiction when it became fanfiction.

Only a very vocal minority feel that way. That's the thing. And a lot of it comes down to

-an unwillingness to acknowledge some of the flaws of the book

-an unwillingness to accept that you don't know what is and isn't happening in the books anymore (certain people derided every plot they didn't like as a change, then when one of them was revealed to be in the books, they freaked out for getting spoiled)

-a lack of acknowledging the differences between the television medium and the book medium and why some things just don't work as well in television as they can in a book. As well as the limitations of one medium over another.

-just a general dislike of seeing things changed

-and then there are just people nitpicking looking for things to complain about and when they are given sufficient answers they just make subjective statements that you can't argue with like "it was unearned" when you know damn well if the same thing happened in the books they would jump through hoops to explain why it felt "earned" there and not in the show.

Also I'd venture to guess most people on this site read the books. So it's not a book fan vs show fan thing. It's a certain book fans thing. And really it's nothing new in the world of book to screen adaptations.

Cersei's walk was sheer perfection as was Lena Headey's acting which earns at least a five. Stannis had a letdown of an ending to a character D and D have let down for his whole duration. Jon's death was decent; allowing Balon to win the War of Five Kings was dumb. So, a 6.

Probably my least favourite finale of them all. Arya was great, and Meereen was fine. Too many cliff hangers that felt awkward though, and despite a lot happening, it really didn't feel like much actually did happen. Jon's part was really well done though, and of course not something I was looking forward to. Probably the best part was Lena's acting. That was quite brilliantly done.

Anyways, not too happy about this finale.

Edited by Jdawg Laurence

It was a middling B+ range. The cliffhangers are nice but we pretty much know most characters who "died" are either alive/undead next season.

Podrick will find Sansa and Reek alive in a pile of snow.

Briene obviously spared Stannis cause she develops Stockholm syndrome to ANYONE near her.

And Melisandre resurrects Jon Snowheart who rescues Bran, Meera, and Hodor from beyond the wall.

Oh, I forgot, Daenerys is getting the Prince Who was Promised treatment so she is fine.

What makes you say that?