(Spoilers All) The True King

I don't think he did. You could see it in his face. He was a shell after that, a dead man walking. Even if Brienne didn't kill him he'd be done. Nobody is going to following this walking joke now.

“In a book, you can present that kind of ambiguity,” Weiss said. “In a show, everybody sees it for what it is. It’s that rule: ‘If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.’ Like when we cut Ned’s head off, we didn’t want a gory Monty Python geyser of blood, but we needed to see the blade enter his neck and cut out on the frame where the blade was mid-neck—it was longest discussion ever of where to cut a frame; two hours of talking about whether to cut at frame six or frame seven or frame eight. And that’s all by way of saying we needed Ned’s death to be totally unambiguous. I remember reading the book and going back and forth, like, ‘Did I miss something? Was [Ned] swapped out for somebody else?’ There’s a level of ambiguity because you’re not seeing something starkly represented. In the book, you can write around things to preserve a certain level of mystery that you have to commit to on screen.”

Given how it was explicitly not shown if he died, we may have been tricked here. I'd say Stannis may well be alive.

Stannis is evil. (Remember Davos is an unreliable narrator)

Stannis will burn his daughter.

Stannis is not dead. The YouTube video explicitly avoids saying he is dead. The scene (in a show that explicitly shows all deaths explicitly) does not show his death.

I will bet any money anyone fancies on that fact.

UKS

Stephen Dillane was terrific. There were times, as in the s2 e8 scene with Davos, where he came close to playing the real Stannis. S4 e6 iron Bank and s4 e10 at the wall were also glimpses of the real Stannis.

Can't think Stannis dies that way. He deserves a tragic,meaningful death, and to die fighting the Others, whose anger he was the only king to respond to. GRRM says he has not written the Shireen scene yet, and i have to think he is over half done with book 6, so it may occur only at the end of book 6, with lots more Stannis to come. I have to think he beats the Boltons at least. I don;t see the GNC, but maybe some other challenge (Other invasion, or falling-out with Northern lords). Whatever. Maybe we who thought Stannis would at least win WItnerfell and avenge the RW for us were wrong, but it was simply a satisfying ending we were looking for--like Malcolm avenging Banquo and Duncan in Macbeth....

The show runners were afraid of too many protagonusts, so they killed off or darkened too many of them..this happened in Jackson;s lotR where e. g. Treebeard, Faramir, Denethor were all made darker than they were, so we wouldn't have too many good or half-good or once-good people....is too bad becuase I thought we were getting away from the assumption that TV had to be for stupid people who could not tolerate the intricacies of great art..but D and D have dumbed down ASOIAF....they have also made is amoral and trivial, which is different from being sad, tragic, or even brutal.....

Given how it was explicitly not shown if he died, we may have been tricked here. I'd say Stannis may well be alive.

I haven't heard one reasonable answer to what that would bring to the story at this point from all the people saying he's not dead.

Stannis is not dead. The YouTube video explicitly avoids saying he is dead. The scene (in a show that explicitly shows all deaths explicitly) does not show his death.

UKS

why should brienne spare his life? I do not see any valid reason

I'd expect Stannis do burn Melisandre should he ever see her again - you know, transferring responsibility to the evil priestess who abandoned him to his enemies and stuff. Whatever TV Stannis could do now is pretty irrelevant - he has been completely destroyed, both emotionally and as person who inspires respect. Usually you throw shit at the people who burn their only child to change the weather - you do not follow, listen, or talk to them.

We mocked his tactical acumen - now he mocks our lack of faith. If only Robb had had the foresight to completely cease to exist so the Red Wedding couldn't kill him off.

A single line of profound genius.....well done!

UKS

why should brienne spare his life? I do not see any valid reason

I'd expect Stannis do burn Melisandre should he ever see her again - you know, transferring responsibility to the evil priestess who abandoned him to his enemies and stuff. Whatever TV Stannis could do now is pretty irrelevant - he has been completely destroyed, both emotionally and as person who inspires respect. Usually you throw shit at the people who burn their only child to change the weather - you do not follow, listen, or talk to them.

As much as it hurts as a Stannis fan. This is the fact. I dont think anyone will ever rally for Stan the Man. RIP SWEET KING.

This Lord Varys guy seems to have a very strange moral compass. He judges Stannis' decision to sacrifice Shireen from a viewers meta-perspective, the most stupid thing someone could do.

Look friend, Melisandre believes(d?) he was R'hllors chosen. Stannis finally believed in this himself, sacrificing Shireen for the greater good is what they did, so that he could save the realm. Funnily enough, it did work, but because characters within the show thought as short-mindedly as you are doing now, they apparently abandoned him for doing that(?) which ended in him getting defeated by the Boltons.

Anyways, I don't consider the show canon, it's a fucking butchered shit-job of the source material, not worth paying any attention to.

It bothers me now that Stannis Baratheon will forever be known in pop culture as that guy, that father who burned his beloved daughter to melt snow.

Meanwhile, THE Stannis Baratheon is on course to decimate House Frey and fight to the bitter end the two most disgusting houses in Westeros.

Why not? He rallies people to him all the time in the books, he has parts of his original army still fighting for him (those who aren't dead or captured since Blackwater), he has northerners fighting for him, aswell as people from the reach and crownlands fighting for him aswell.

The show, of course, is an entirely different story.

Archived