(Spoilers All) The True King

Another explanation for Brienne not killing Stannis could be that she saw he wants to die, so she thought sparing him would be greater punishment.

And Stannis did want to die at that moment, that is certain, he killed his daughter, only and beloved child, his wife killed herself, and all for the cause he failed, and Brienne reminded him of his brother whom he also killed for the same reason, he has nothing, he is even wounded.

The post I was responding to was responding to a post about Jon Snow being permanently dead.

Post 1: There is no hope! Despair!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post 2: There's always Dany!

You: Bran is also an option. ಠ_ಠ

Me: That's true. Bran is an option, Jon is as well. Dany is also an option. Choose one, two or all three of them but Stannis was never an option.

I followed the conversation easily enough and my point still stands.

Post 1: There is no hope! Despair!(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Post 2: There's always Dany!

You: Bran is also an option. ಠ_ಠ

Me: That's true. Bran is an option, Jon is as well. Dany is also an option. Choose one, two or all three of them but Stannis was never an option.

I followed the conversation easily enough and my point still stands.

Awesome. You told me that Stannis wouldn't be an option, even though I never made that assertion. Goody for you. You've won a major victory here.

I just had a though (I don't think Stannis is dead so I ain't going to start theorising from that point) that Mel's visions (which is in both the books and the show) of Stannis leading the fight against the "darkness" might not actually be a vision of Stannis fighting the Others but Stannis fighting the Night's Watch or the Greyjoys.

I think it's likely that her visions have actually been showing Azor Ahai, and that she's wrongly assumed that Azor Ahai is Stannis. Her magic or prayers, depending on whether the Lord of Light really exists, have probably been helping the real Azor Ahai, which may be why they showed Dany's rescue from the pit immediately after Shireen's sacrifice.

You know, even if burning Shireen was GRRM's idea, I think I would have re-written this arc to have Stannis fail and die because he wouldn't burn her. If he was going to die anyway, why not redeem him?

And why couldn't they spring for some fucking snow machines? I mean it never looked like more than a dusting.

After seeing an IRL storm this year that dropped 7 feet of snow, the "storm" that ground Stannis's army to a halt was pretty underwhelming.

Even though I hated Stannis even before he burned his daughter I thought this was a pathetic ending for him, humiliating and an utter waste.

Also I was torn I didn't want the burning of Shireen to be justified, it is OK to burn little girls to get what you want I didn't want Stannis to win because it is not Ok to burn your daughter so he deserved to die. But having said that this was such a pathetic downfall. If only he atleast killed Roose Bolton or accomplished something like severely damaged the Bolton forces. Nope he is wiped gone and soon will be forgotten.

My heart broke for Jon. He is the only uncorrupted soul in the show, as close to his father Ned Stark as possible. But if he comes back from the dead will he still be the same honourable man we admire so much. Mel is a devil if her magic revived him will he be cursed like Stannis was and start burning people like Stannis to get what he wants. Or will Jon be still the hero and not turn into Stannis stick his sword into Mel's heart saying thanks for bringing me back but you are insane woman see ya.

So many I didn't understand this episode but one of the things is why does the Watch give Mel sanctuary. Stannis is defeated and she comes running back to the Wall, since when did the wall become a refugee camp. Why would the brothers allow her to stay with them what is her role there wouldn't they have shut her out.

Stannis was never the true king of Westeros. His brother was a usurper. :P

Can this be disputed under the rules of conquest a king can be overthrown if he can't hold his realm by force. It is not like the Targaryens were democratically elected.

You know, even if burning Shireen was GRRM's idea, I think I would have re-written this arc to have Stannis fail and die because he wouldn't burn her. If he was going to die anyway, why not redeem him?

And why couldn't they spring for some fucking snow machines? I mean it never looked like more than a dusting.

After seeing an IRL storm this year that dropped 7 feet of snow, the "storm" that ground Stannis's army to a halt was pretty underwhelming.

They needed a "shocking" moment for episode 9 and that's pretty much the only reason.

Guys, what if it just that simple as the show logic?

If you have watched the e10 demo BEFORE the e10 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWFpo37qAU) , I think you may have different expectations for the last episode.

The show logic is simple, do otherwise than you make people to think.

Looking at the demo, my feelings were that the sacrifice changed the weather, Stannis attacks the Winterfell and he going good, Sansa refuses escaping the castle that is under siege. Now, when I watch the demo after I have seen the episode it is clear it was made to be shocking and surprising that nothing went that line as you watch the show.

Going forward, using said logic and to start with big shocking S6:

1. Everyone seen Jon killed and none expects he will return, so he will (ressurection by Mel will do the trick, I don't think many show watchers remember about the kiss of life + there is no Lady Stoneheart in show to make it more obvious - people should not expect Jon to live again)

2. Myrcella poisoned and is about to die, but maybe she will live (more antidotes?)

3. Stannis is not killed on the screen, people speculate that maybe he is alive - so he died

4. Dany surrounded by Dothraki, but maybe they don't have bad intentions as you may think.

What happened to Stan is bullshit. just bullshit. Ramsay and his 20 good men light more than 20 fires perfectly synchrone without being present at the moment or getting noticed by anyone, in the midst of a snowstorm, yeah sure lol.

Than he sacrifices his daughter, who he brought for what reason again??? - and it accomplishes nothing. Selyse kills herself and Melisandre rides off with a megically spawned horse, even though all horses disappeared together with half of the army the night before, apparently not making a single noise. Afterwards, he walks to winterfell by foot with his , how many where they, 1000 men maybe ? and gets slaughtered by a approximately 3000+ Bolton horse army that would have outnumbered even Stan's full army by far even though Roose said that Stan had the bigger army and more horses just 2 eps before. Somehow Stan, being in the front line facing a cavalry charge, makes it hundred of meters back into the forest even though the Boltons were about to encircle his army completely, only to run into Brienne by coincidence. The Eff.

This interview with D&D confirms he's alive, in my mind at least. This is from an interview about Jon's "death":

“In a book, you can present that kind of ambiguity,” Weiss said. “In a show, everybody sees it for what it is. It’s that rule: ‘If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.’ Like when we cut Ned’s head off, we didn’t want a gory Monty Python geyser of blood, but we needed to see the blade enter his neck and cut out on the frame where the blade was mid-neck—it was longest discussion ever of where to cut a frame; two hours of talking about whether to cut at frame six or frame seven or frame eight. And that’s all by way of saying we needed Ned’s death to be totally unambiguous. I remember reading the book and going back and forth, like, ‘Did I miss something? Was [Ned] swapped out for somebody else?’ There’s a level of ambiguity because you’re not seeing something starkly represented. In the book, you can write around things to preserve a certain level of mystery that you have to commit to on screen.”

The only king who knew about the real threat of white walkers stannis and the guy who was trying to do everything in his power to stop them Jon snow, both killed in a single episode.

Keeping pathetic losers like the Bolton and Frey alive for no bloody reason. What a waste of great storyline by D n D

Brienne does not need Stannis to clear her name. She is on good terms with Tyrells and Lannisters. Baratheons are gone.

Who cares about Jon Snow? The more of them dead, the better. I want Dany dead soon! Her line is about as pointless as Stannis's. It's time to die! And someone please kill Cersei soon too. She's another one who's overstayed her welcome for 5 seasons.

Keeping pathetic losers like the Bolton and Frey alive for no bloody reason. What a waste of great storyline by D n D

Ah, isn't it often like that? I mean in real life. Smart people, who are making hard, but probably right decisions do not always win. Sly people on the other hand, yes I think they win a lot. Frey is pathetic, but he is still in a pretty secure position without too many opponents/rivals. Until the white walkers come and get them all, that is.

Archived