Awesome Arya

Arataniello

Every Arya scene in this episode was absolutely ridiculous. Like someone mentioned earlier, Arya's encounter with Meryn was like a B-movie cartoon. It was gratuitous and cathartic for its own sake. The fact that she got to have such a nice little chat with him afterwards made it so much worse. I didn't buy it at all. I know the scene it was supposed to substitute a similar event from Feast, but said event wasn't shown explicitly and I imagine it went very similarly to her encounter with the guard at Harrenhall.

Then the scene with Jaquen H'gar made no sense. The dead guy with 30 faces on him... and the fact that Jaquen was able to disguise himself with a completely different height and voice. It's just going to be one of those fucked up supernatural things that D&D planted in there for the sake of seeming "fucked up" without feeling the need to make it consistent with what people are capable of or offering any explanation except that messed up shock factor... much like Melisandre with her random "you know nothing Jon Snow" earlier this season.

I have to say though, I hate this plotline. I hated it in the books, and I hate it even more here. I was really hoping they'd want to execute her and she'd run away back to Westeros. Another more season of this really sucks.

I liked Arya's storyline the best out of all of them this season, and it ended as well as I would have hoped

It was much more brutal than I thought, but I think it's supposed to show how angry she is to be capable of such a savage killing

I'm glad they went with the blinding at the end

I was hoping beyond hope she'd try to justify her killing of Trant with Syrio, then have Jaquen turn into Syrio to end years of speculation, but I guess that was asking too much...

I am confused who it was that drank the poison at the end-- was that the other girl who assists Jaquen?

Also I don't understand how one of the faces she reveals on the dead man is Arya, since they obviously don't have her face yet?

Also I don't understand how one of the faces she reveals on the dead man is Arya, since they obviously don't have her face yet?

I imagine it's the same as the original Star Wars trilogy and Luke seeing his face inside Darth Vader's cracked helmet on Dagoba

Arya's story line was the best of the night. The killing of Meryn was great, far from a B movie. They took time with that scene. She stabbed him repeatedly. She announced slowly: I am Arya Stark and you are no one. Then she slit his throat slowly. That murder was done with gusto.

The scene ties into the next. Arya goes back the the HoBnW and meets Jaqen ( or who we think is Jaqen) and his apprentice woman (or who we think is a woman).

Jaqen tells her that Meryn's life was not hers to take and she stole a life from many-faced god. That debt can only be repaid with another death. "Jaqen" drinks poison and drops dead. Arya cries and screams over his body (a great scene): No! You can't die! As Arya cries, the woman asks her: Why are you crying? Arya says, he was my friend! No he wasn't, says the woman, didn't you listen to him?

Then, a voice behind her says, he was no one! Arya turns around and sees Jaqen standing there. She sighs, stutters: But if you are . . . Who is this?!?

No one at all, Jaqen says, JUST AS THE GIRL HAD BEEN BEFORE SHE TOOK A FACE FROM THE HOLE.

Arya peels off a face from the dead man and she keeps peeling one after another, Jaquens says FACES ARE FOR NO ONE, YOU ARE STILL SOMEONE, AND TO SOMEONE, FACES ARE AS GOOD AS POISON!

Arya peels of another face on the dead body only to reveal her own. Staring now at herself, in agony, she screams I can't see! Her vision is blurred, eyes roll white, She screams, What's hapenning! She goes blind.

Great scene.

If people are cheering for Arya, HBO fucked it up. We're not meant to. We're supposed to feel sorry she has sunk that low. There is nothing "awesome" or "badass" in how she killed Raff. It's sad.

Meryn Trant killed Syrio. Meryn Trant stripped and beat Sansa. Meryn Trant physically and sexually abused young girls. Arya Stark gave him a truly brutal death. Why would show watchers not cheer?

Arya's nature has an extreme duality. She can be insanely cruel and cold to her enemies like Meryn Trant. She can also be very caring and loving to people that she likes. Notice the reaction that she had when that man wearing Jaqen H'gar's face dies.

Besides in this show, it's primarily the morally upright characters that die. Ned, Robb or Jon would probably just execute Meryn instead of torturing him like Arya did. However, Game of Thrones is not a show where those kind of characters thrive. Thus if Arya decides to be more grey than white that just improves her chances of survival. She'll end up like Ned, Robb and Jon if she tries to be a good person when dealing with her enemies.

The PedoTrant bullshit set-up was too much, but I gotta admit I kinda liked Arya doing the Orochimaru face-peeling thing.

Agreed. PedoTrant was stupid as hell. But that nice stab of Arya's right on him was like i said: "This one's for Sansa, bitch."

If people are cheering for Arya, HBO fucked it up. We're not meant to. We're supposed to feel sorry she has sunk that low. There is nothing "awesome" or "badass" in how she killed Raff. It's sad.

Ehhh...people would actually claim it badass if it played out like the Mercy chapter exactly. And to be perfectly honest, the amount of brutality Arya showed when killing Trant really did make me sad. "Arya Stark" is that freaking messed up and blood thirsty.

Meryn Trant killed Syrio. Meryn Trant stripped and beat Sansa. Meryn Trant physically and sexually abused young girls. Arya Stark gave him a truly brutal death. Why would show watchers not cheer?

Because that's kinda the point of the whole books. Revenge comes with a cost. Arya is losing herself in that kill. She's going her mother's path: she's becoming more like Lady Stoneheart. She has no heart or soul anymore. That is sad.

It's like Tyrion killing Tywin. He has killed his own father.

Or Cersei walking naked. Yes, she has killed and sent people to be tortured, but the walk makes you feel pity for her.

Ehhh...people would actually claim it badass if it played out like the Mercy chapter exactly. And to be perfectly honest, the amount of brutality Arya showed when killing Trant really did make me sad. "Arya Stark" is that freaking messed up and blood thirsty.

Funny thing is that they already did Mercy last year. Except for the pedo part :dunno:

I dunno if people are disturbed by Arya. Or at least, the Unsullied. They are all "fuck yea!" in the same way they believe ep. 6 was the BEST EPISODE.

Because that's kinda the point of the whole books. Revenge comes with a cost. Arya is losing herself in that kill. She's going her mother's path: she's becoming more like Lady Stoneheart. She has no heart or soul anymore. That is sad.

It's like Tyrion killing Tywin. He has killed his own father.

Or Cersei walking naked. Yes, she has killed and sent people to be tortured, but the walk makes you feel pity for her.

Another point of the books is that human beings are fucked up so us cheering while an adolescent girl butchers a man is appropriate

One of the best scenes in the show. If you don't understand why she did or acted the way she did, read the book.

She has moments of clarity but for the most part is full on "kill kill I want to kill, how can I kill those who hurt me most, how do I get to that point I can do that".

She wanted to make him suffer, as well she should have. She wanted to remind him... at the end of the day, he is NO ONE and she is Arya Stark about to slice is throat and will be the last feeling he ever has.

She thrives on that moment, that feeling, and that she was able to knock him off her list. She was proud of herself.

The only thing she has not learned is that she has to let go of Arya Stark and truly be No One.

Watching Arya mutilate Trant was disgusting. Those bloody pockets for eyes, and all of the meaty stabbing sounds. Really nasty, would have rather he gotten a quick death if watching him be tortured like that is the only other option. It was as sad as watching Janos beg for his life before having his head hacked off, but at least that was quick. This was just... I don't know. I know he deserved it, but still... didn't make me feel any better, and I'm not sure how it made Arya feel any better... I'd have thrown up.

Going to be honest here...

Arya, to me at least, is a dead-end character. No development past being a blood-thirsty killer with her mind set on revenge. If that is her only purpose, well then, that is boring.

And you all should think so too. Now with her being blind on the other hand, I'd like to see where that goes.

Agreed the morally ambiguous nature of Arya's arc needs to be played up more. I'll be the first to admit I cheered tonight and got satisfaction out of watching her take out Trant (though the whole thing, especially the pedophilia thing, was very OTT), but we really are not supposed to still feel that way at this point. For me, the turn around came at the end of ASOS when she killed I think the Tickler? Really messed up how a 9 year old girl is that traumatized and desperate for revenge and blood, but the show still focuses on the "badass!" angle, completely missing the point. This is the norm with most characters now though, so.

Archived