Rant and Rave without Repercussion [Book Spoilers]

Chebyshov

Amazing... Stannis in the show starts out with the advantage and loses it through his own stupidity. Book Stannis has a massive disadvantage and gets stronger and strong through his own feats and good advice from Jon. Book Stannis will likely take Winterfell in the name of House Stark during winter itself whereas show Stannis kills his daughter when winter gets a little tough and still gets decimated. Oh yes, D&D totaaaally haven't butchered the character and his storyline!

This, a 1000 times this. :agree: I remember being pissed they gave Stannis such a large army to fight Mance with, AND prematurely wrote in the Iron Bank monetary support. The sheer scale of what he achieved without those two things is a defining moment in his character. He gets his confidence back, he starts making decisions that pay off big time. It was Stannis who let the wildlings through the Wall (and 9 out 10 bent the fucking knee and took the Lord of Light, compared to show Wildlings just walking off to Hardhome to die of Stupid Show Wildling Pride Syndrome), It was Stannis who told Jon to get in fucking gear and man the castles on the wall. Stannis walked in and slapped the Night's Watch awake. He had agency, he was the man calling the shots. He decided AGAINST Mel's advice to head north and save the watch (that point will forever enrage me when the same decision came show-time... :bang: ) But in the show they gave him every advantage and walked him into their stupid little trap of plot convenience, because the D's are idiots.

Although this episode made me very angry, I was expecting to be infuriated by it. Remember those spoiler images someone leaked? Well some fool on another forum misinterpreted the images or was trolling and wrote in an unrelated thread that Sansa was hung by Ramsay. I didn't want to be spoiled so I didn't look into it more because I was hoping it was a lie. I'm glad it was. As it was this season felt like a waste there was good momentum in episode 8 and 9 and then bam episode 10 is a sequence of cliffhangers with the season having no real resolution in most plotlines as a self contained story.

Also don't get me started with Stannis. If Stannis dies in the battle of winterfell how is he going to have his daughter burned as D@D stated? If Stannis is dead and the red lady burns her its not Stannis's fault he had no say in it. He wasn't a villian. Just a grey character who by the laws of the land should have been king. Not that I like him, I'm not a stannis fan but still it pisses me off.

Myrcella is dead, what are they going to do with Dorne? The Zenas got their mind numbingly stupid revenge. So, what next? Why will Doran not kill all their asses? Why will no one kill Tryst?

All good questions and I don't even have an inkling of an idea about what happens next, except that I fully expect the Dorne storyline to be even more idiotic next season. I guess Ellaria's idea of vengeance included having the heir to Dorne as a Lannister hostage. :bang: Logically Doran should have them executed but he won't.

Can we officially call Season 5 the Season of Rape?

There may or may not have been more rape this season but it really felt like there was a lot of rape

Sansa Rape

Tommen Rape

Gilly Near Rape (see Talisa that is what happens to unprotected women in the medieval world at war)

Tyrion NOT rape

Arya rape sequence

cock merchants

bad pussy-would love to hear Sean Connery say that

Another thing that bothered me: In the books, when Cersei does her walk, she (thinks she) sees Sansa and she is reminded of how she mistreated her. Couldn't they include that?

See, this could have been haunting and poignant. Same with Dany and her visions. They really don't do these types of scenes and the show is worse off for it, since they are very beautiful and meaningful.

I don't know if it's already been posted but I found this on reddit and I 100% agree:

http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/39xbe6/spoilers_all_the_reason_bad_things_happen_on_got/

I gave up on /r/ASOIAF last year when show apology was through the roof. Glad to see they're coming back around again.

So, we understand, that with Stannis dead, it's going to be Batfinger who takes out the Boltons. There is nobody else left unless the D's have a change of heart and cast some Northern lords.

Oh absolutely.

It does seem though that the NY Times article is complaining about some of the things that actually happen in the books. Like the walk of shame, if they would have left that out, the season would have been even more shit. Or 'killing' Jon Snow. Same thing.

It's about context though. Perhaps those things would have been satisfactory in the show if time and context and development was spent on them instead of what we got. That's why they're unsatisfied with them :dunno: ??

No my friend. The show cannot be salvaged with Benioff running it. They could cast everyone in Dorne and JonCon and top tier A list Hollywood actors and it could not save this show from that hack.

Exactly. This show is beyond redemption!

snip -> Last week I almost gave up completely after the Pit scene and the way they turned Dany into a damsel in distress instead of a dragon tamer. Total bullshit and they ruined my favorite scene in all 5 books. But seeing Dany this week sorta beat up, looking desperate and out of control (instead of smug and emotionless) reminded me of Dothraki Dany. The only time Emilia Clarke gave a genuine performance. As an actress, when she tries to "queen it up" she fails miserably, so I'm happy to see her back in a situation where she's out of control and not giving orders. <- snip

I have been saying all along that Emilia Clarke shows every sign of being a fine actress who is simply playing Dany as a 2-dimensional badass ice queen because that is what the showrunners want her to do. This snippet from her interview with EW supports my view.

Now that they’ve met, what can Tyrion learn from Dany and vice versa?

CLARKE: I think Dany could learn how to get what she wants from Tyrion. Also I think Dany could learn how to crack a joke, maybe. She could learn to stop taking things so seriously and stop just gazing into the distance at some point.

I find it ironic that in terms of ratings, Game of Thrones peaked with "Oathkeeper" (Season 4 Episode 4) back in April of 2014.

For it is really around the middle of Season 4 that D&D began to break the "oath" taken by the artist who undertakes to adapt another artist's work: to remain as faithful to that work as possible.

I have been saying all along that Emilia Clarke shows every sign of being a fine actress who is simply playing Dany as a 2-dimensional badass ice queen because that is what the showrunners want her to do. This snippet from her interview with EW supports my view.

I have a lot more respect for Clarke from that quote. It shows she gets it. But then again, how could she not? If its a boring drudge to sit through sanctimonious Dany for maybe 10 to 15 minutes of screen-time, how bad is it having to play it take after take after take;

So yeah, pretty much everything that is wrong and wicked and false can be laid at the D's feet.

I find it ironic that in terms of ratings, Game of Thrones peaked with "Oathkeeper" (Season 4 Episode 4) back in April of 2014.

For it is really around the middle of Season 4 that D&D began to break the "oath" taken by the artist who undertakes to adapt another artist's work: to remain as faithful to that work as possible.

If ratings drop hard come season 6 I'll have some faith in humanity restored. My lasting fear is that a generally book-less audience will assume this shit is canon and GRRM approved, when it is neither.

If ratings drop hard come season 6 I'll have some faith in humanity restored. My lasting fear is that a generally book-less audience will assume this shit is canon and GRRM approved, when it is neither.

I think it'll hover around 7 million slobbering viewers.

That episode has me on edge and super pissed off because of how silly certain things were with the show IMO. I mean seriously Jon is offcially dead because we can't do magic or resserection yet the audience bought Gandalf coming back DID THEY? So I am guess Theon has no where to go with Sansa except Pyke and I swear that is where they are going with Sansa which makes things a thousands times worse and make no sense. What also bothers me is that Dany is not fused with Faegon character ( Young Griff) in terms of her savior complex is "breaking the wheel" and I knew that is what they did the minute Young Griff and Varys, Illiryos plan was cut. Dany is now a fusion of herself and goddamn Young Griff so what the hell is going on here now I have no idea.

Jon is not dead persay I think so the fact that they said Jon is dead dead means they don't like doing Magic on the show which is evident IMO. The show has also failed in addressing the pass I mean how many people new who the fuck Bryden Rivers was? Yet you could have trusted your audience to look and analyze the clues for themselves with some visions of Bran seeing the battle of the redgrass huh but no and most importantly ROBERTS REBELLION FOR GODS SAKE!!!!!!! R+L= J is going to be so idiotically explained on the show I don't even want to hear it or would rather find out by George. A obvious hint that Jon is coming back is George saying Jon will find out meaning he's coming back.

So I wonder Westeros History opinions on this and Kingsgrave podcast is on this episode because they too have apologized for the show at points and only Linda and Elio seem to be critical of certain things even though Elio is more optimistic.

So many characters where a puff of smoke it's not even funny whatsoever ( Balon is still ALIVE PEOPLE AND STANNIS IS DEAD?) So really this reeks of a lot of problems and they have written themselves into a hole with the show. All kings are dead Renly, Robb, Balon, Joffery under Mel's spell or the sacrifice so to speak and yet Balon is still with US?

I mean seriously is this some sort of joke D&D I mean seriously is this suppose to be funny? Stannis is dead before the kings he sacrifices dies? Dany is the ultimate savior and has been merged with Young Griff? This episode seems to prove D&D have a outline but not the full story from George whatsoever if they think its a good idea to fuse Aegon VI with Dany.

Whoa, the show is a bad adaptation of the books but this episode was unspeakably bad! ...You are my father *Hugs* Seriously??!

Yeah, no one cares about incest anymore. I remember when incest caused the war of the five kings. Now it's no biggy, you love who you love right? Next season maybe they will introduce people that "love" their animals.

i have a bad feeling that ratings for ep. 10 are going to be above 7mil.

but, i wonder about people coming back for next season, what is there to be excited about?

really the only stories that anyone might be excited about are dany and the dragons, of course and arya. jon is 'dead' larry is dumb, cersei has lost her power, sansa and theon lost in the snow, who cares???

I like her too.

D1: Shit, Dave, we're out of comedic duos. Who can we artificially put together in order to hit that sweet "duo" demographic we nailed with Arya and the Hound?

D2: How about Mario and the greystone guy?

D1: You mean Daario and Jorah?

D2: Yeah. They could, like, argue about who loves Daenerys more.

D1: Awesome. I'll get the interns to write this up right away.

:lmao:

I love when you guys make up names for the characters to show D&D's incompetence. Someone previously said something about "Jonah and Karlesa" :lol:

With this kind of hack writing anything is possible.

I would agree with you except I don't think redeeming the show is possible at all.

In the books, she was at the height of her powers. She had just embraced the dragon in a really big way. And Drogon wasn't sleepy and she wasn't alone. He was right next to her, and she was eating the food he caught - a horse! - when the Dothraki rolled up.

This wouldn't have been difficult to show at all, that she had lost her way, and found it again, and was stronger than ever.

They also miss the sexuality associated with riding the dragon, it's like when she rode Drogo, a female with a mate she desires, she's on top, there's a connection there, and a joyfulness. And she's fierce (that's the word GRRM used, she rode him fiercely).

That's what's so incredibly frustrating - it really wouldn't have been difficult at all to faithfully adapt her storyline and her identity issues and her sacrifices.

I love the imagery of her last scene, and thought at least in the show they would keep her by Drogon.

Archived