[BOOK SPOILERS] Discussing Sansa XIX - The season with no reason

Mladen

And what is hilarious is all the folks suddenly thinking that somehow this character will never align again with the book character. We simply don't know what the post-Vale plan was for Sansa, or what her end-game position is - and until we know those things, it's impossible to judge how much this will affect anything at all. Yes, it may be a different path - but maybe George was just going to have her sitting at the Vale for an entire book again, like Jamie just hanging out in the woods for a book. Just like Melisandre showing back up at Castle Black at the very end - she may have gone another route, but she got where she needed to be when she needed to be there.

Which would mean the "she was just there to be raped" theory correct. Just like Mel left the Wall so Stannis could be turned into Satannis in time to be beat by the awesomest character in the story Ramsay and die in the name of the (only one who can't actually claim to be the) rightful king.

I still don't get how any of this made more sense to D and D than the actual Northern storyline? The one in the books had much more tension due to the Northern Lords and the mysterious deaths. Why did they only focus on the rape of Sansa and leave out everything else that could have made the situation more interesting?

I still don't get how any of this made more sense to D and D than the actual Northern storyline? The one in the books had much more tension due to the Northern Lords and the mysterious deaths. Why did they only focus on the rape of Sansa and leave out everything else that could have made the situation more interesting?

Because they wanted shock over substance.

I'm just so hacked off about the whole Sansa storyline. IF ONLY she had spent the season twiddling her thumbs in the Vale, that would have been a million times better. Damn D&D for including her in the story in a way which narratively makes sense!

LOL, about the irony... And what was that in your opinion that actually made sense this season? That the girl who knows better was once again fooled by the face and that she didn't recognize the psycho Ramsay was? That after the "Darth-Sansa" moment they retrograded her to even sillier version than the one we had in Season 1/Book 1? That the Northern lords, Pink letter, Frey pies etc are all incredibly unimportant when we have rape thrown in the basket? The narrative where she actually did something? Please explain how this season made any narrative sense.

Now that the season is over, I can say that Sansa's presence in Winterfell was handled poorly.

Why the hell they did not employ the Pink Letter with Sansa being the runaway bride? What is the point of giving a bride to Ramsay if it would not contribute to Jon's assassination or the (false) loyalty of the Northern Lords? What is the point of making Sansa that bride? This is also one of the reasons why D&D handled the assassination of Jon poorly.

Why the hell they did not incorporate murders in Winterfell (Fat Walda would be a perfect choice) to force the Boltons play their hands?

Why the hell were there no Northern Lords?

What the hell is Brienne doing in the North?

etc.

I am not against cutting material, merging characters and stuff. I can understand the necessity of making such changes. I can understand why D&D decided to cut fAegon and the Second Dance of Dragons completely. They cannot have so many battles and incorporating actors flying on firebreathing lizards over the battlefield cannot be expected from any TV show. They do not even want to show the direwolves on the ground FFS.

But D&D should have come up with something logical when they make such changes. This season D&D acted like irrational Stannis haters (and I am not even a Stannis fan!). They rushed too fast to destroy Stannis and they did it in an illogical and humiliating manner. This is disservice to George, to the story and to the readers/watchers.

I think there were many simple options to make a good story out of Sansa coming to Winterfell and I waited till the end of the season, hoping that D&D had a plan. But that was for nothing. When I look at this season as a whole, I agree with Risto that this was a "season with no reason" as far as Sansa is concerned.

the last we know of Sansa is that her and theon jumped off a wall and I agree, have the pink letter arrive and Jon read it before "ftw" just to throw us a bone to let us know that Sansa and or theon got away. The showritters are not reading the novels anymore and as has been suggested are writting fanfiction and they apparently love the bad guys and hate Sansa.

And what is hilarious is all the folks suddenly thinking that somehow this character will never align again with the book character. We simply don't know what the post-Vale plan was for Sansa, or what her end-game position is - and until we know those things, it's impossible to judge how much this will affect anything at all. Yes, it may be a different path - but maybe George was just going to have her sitting at the Vale for an entire book again, like Jamie just hanging out in the woods for a book. Just like Melisandre showing back up at Castle Black at the very end - she may have gone another route, but she got where she needed to be when she needed to be there.

It doesn't matter where characters end up, it matters who they are when they get there. If the writers destroy the characterizations, it won't matter a lick if those characters are located in the same places on the map as they are in the books.

I'm just so hacked off about the whole Sansa storyline. IF ONLY she had spent the season twiddling her thumbs in the Vale, that would have been a million times better. Damn D&D for including her in the story in a way which narratively makes sense!

It makes no sense to reverse her character development from last season and make nonsense out of Littlefinger's love for her and her status as key to the north.

At least in the Vale she would have developed along a recognizable arc and Littlefinger would be a coherent character. I don't need rape scenes to keep me interested in her plotline.

I think parking Sansa and LF for this season just like Bran would be the best choice if they really needed to cut the Vale storyline. Or they could have written something not borderline silly.

Precisely. The could have checked in on her a couple times just to show she is developing as a player under LF's tutelage. The writers have admitted that they were eager to see her abused by Ramsay in place of Jeyne Poole, plot be damned.

Precisely. The could have checked in on her a couple times just to show she is developing as a player under LF's tutelage. The writers have admitted that they were eager to see her abused by Ramsay in place of Jeyne Poole, plot be damned.

Yep, they made a dissaster out of her character. After Stannis was so easily wiped away and no Northern Lords, they could have not had Winterfell at all and have Stannis die at Hardhome with the Wildings, combining a big battle and Mel be there to whitness Stannis not being Azor Ahai. Leave Shireen at Castle black to be burned next season etc.. I would rather have Stannis and his men die fighting the others than how he lost it all against Ramsay. Ramsay though, after this year, it is clear, he is the new, "show's star" in the North, Not Sansa, Not Jon, no, it is Ramsay.

They're trying to re-create the Joffery Effectâ„¢, a character you love to hate and takes a few seasons to kill.

Unfortnuately, no one loves to hate Ramsay - he's simply hated. Bad writing.

This. Although Iwan Rheon is a good actor, he doesn't have Jack's charisma. You can't re-create Joffrey.

I think parking Sansa and LF for this season just like Bran would be the best choice if they really needed to cut the Vale storyline. Or they could have written something not borderline silly.

It would've been best. Sansa's character is no more, and LF's severely damaged just for the sheer scope of his stupidity - He's marrying Sansa to someone he barely even knows who it is and hopes she can charm him based on one sentence?

They're trying to re-create the Joffery Effectâ„¢, a character you love to hate and takes a few seasons to kill.

Unfortnuately, no one loves to hate Ramsay - he's simply hated. Bad writing.

Yep and to ante up the hate, he rapes Sansa where Joffrey only threatened it. Everything has to bigger, more graphic, more horrific etc..

Right, because Littlefinger putting one of his most valuable pieces in the hands of his enemies, who are going to be fighting a battle, for no actual reason is so much better.

Right, because Littlefinger putting one of his most valuable pieces in the hands of his enemies, who are going to be fighting a battle, for no actual reason is so much better.

It appears that this was decided upon by the big 3 and they kept it to themselves for 3 years until writting the official scripts for season 5, D&D and Cogman. They are responsible and it was all about Sansa being the rape victim of Ramsay and getting her and Theon to jump off the wall. That is it, that is all, and they scrapped everything else about the Northern, Winterfell plotline to do it. Oh, they did have Stannis fail and get killed but who cares, we got the rape scene, yeah!!!!!!

It appears that this was decided upon by the big 3 and they kept it to themselves for 3 years until writting the official scripts for season 5, D&D and Cogman. They are responsible and it was all about Sansa being the rape victim of Ramsay and getting her and Theon to jump off the wall. That is it, that is all, and they scrapped everything else about the Northern, Winterfell plotline to do it. Oh, they did have Stannis fail and get killed but who cares, we got the rape scene, yeah!!!!!!

It's such a waste of golden source material. Say what you want about Feast and Dance, but Theon's chapters are some of the most compelling in the entire series. What makes it worse is that, if they've been planning this for 3 years, they didn't even lay some sort of foundation for this Winterfell story to take place.

Archived