Mother’s Mercy Episode Guide

Westeros

An initial update on the finale to season 5 can be found at our episode guide for “Mother’s Mercy”. As usual, we’ve run through the book-to-screen adaptation, and have included the post-episode extra videos that HBO usually releases. However, we haven’t watched them and can’t vouch for whether there may be spoilers in those videos, so view them at your own risk.

We’ll have a video review up some time tomorrow, and perhaps the written review as well.

Visit the Site!

Ok so I am watching your video, which I always do, and I am not done yet, but there are a few things I wanted to sort of address.

1. Is Olly and Olyver. I have been wondering about why they decided on two names so similar to each other and why they decided to go in certain directions. I have my own ideas about symbolism from the books, about contrasting, mirroring or inverse parallels. Basically just moments or things that sort of look similar or repeat in a way. I think it was Mark Twain that said history doesn't always repeat but it does tend to rhyme. With that as the basic idea I am wondering if D&D did something very clever here. Not that I agree with the execution on screen. But Loras is a Tyrell and the Tyrells are golden roses, and Loras a golden rose had a squire named Olyver who betrays him, and Loras also has a birth mark of Dorne on the show. So Jon who is often considered the blue rose by many readers is believed to have been born in Dorne and mentored Olly.

I don't know if that is what they did but it seems like they could have, and would give them props for that. I don't agree with clue bat Olly or the last word being Olly but from this perspective it seems like a clue about Jon in a season where they were dropping Jon clues left and right. So did they place a juxt position of the two on the show? Cause there seemed to some of that with the Dany and Jon promos this year as well.

As for Stannis, I agree with the opinion on the farce that was his ending. And it is very different from the books because while Stannis did face starvation and the Death march, it was not this divine comedy of errors. In fact in the books the real problems are at Winterfell with the loss of Theon and Jeyne, Wymans plotting, people being murdered, in fighting, and so on. IN fact they made a huge tactical mistake when they sent out a portion of their strength to face Stannis. While Stannis has recovered Theon and Jeyne.

I also think Bot is actually going to run into Sansa and Theon on the show next season via Pod who I think may not have gone with BoT.

Now when you asked about Trant and the blinding and the gagging and it reminding you of something all I could think of was the Mummy movie from the 90's I think when one of the Americans had his eyes sort of sucked out or something and his tongue removed. But that is probably not it, I couldn't think of anything else that stood out though loosing your eyes in a horror movie is not that uncommon so kind of hard to narrow it down.

Thanks for the video and hope you guys can finally get some down time for puppy time.

Oh wait, wait, wait, ok. How does Linda have a problem with authoritative military types? That's like most of the men in the series including Jon Snow, the Lord Commander of the Knights Watch, Ned Stark a well know Lord, and Military leader, Robb, Robert, Stannis, Tywin, Jaime, Oberyn (He may have been a free spirit but he was a warrior and commander of men and a major authority figure), Selmy, Jorah, Jeor, I mean there are just a shit ton of Lord warrior military types in the book. I feel stereotyped and wounded. Ok I don't but I could feel that way, if I had a soul or something like it.

"Now when you asked about Trant and the blinding and the gagging and it reminding you of something all I could think of was the Mummy movie from the 90's I think when one of the Americans had his eyes sort of sucked out or something and his tongue removed. But that is probably not it, I couldn't think of anything else that stood out though loosing your eyes in a horror movie is not that uncommon so kind of hard to narrow it down.

Torture scene in Reservoir Dogs?

Archived