(spoilers) In my opinion GoT is not ASOIAF. <Not a Rant>

Mr Hodor

How about this? We'll stop comparing them when the writers stop cowering behind the novels and going "it's so much worse in there!" or "George told us this would happen!"

So, never?

it's gonna be seriously funny around here when TWOW shows stannis burning shireen, losing winterfell and dying miserably. half the forum population will have to go into hiding.

Can already see this

"It is different!!! Because Stannis had no other way, he had to burn her because he was in dire situation and the sacrifice was for the greater good!!!"

Yeah, GoT just can't top a character that says "bitch" 30 times an episode. Also, the beetles monologue was to show that death doesn't always need to have meaning. And do you know what happens when you get aroused? Your heart beats faster. Which would intern spread the poison faster. You really didn't understand that part?

This.

Breaking Bad had terrible dialogue and even worse plotlines and the worst plot armor imaginable. Terrible stereotypes. Ridiculous gunplay.

I think the writers really learned some lessons because Better Call Saul is a much better show from what we've seen so far.

This.

Breaking Bad had terrible dialogue and even worse plotlines and the worst plot armor imaginable. Terrible stereotypes. Ridiculous gunplay.

If you apply the same nitpick that GoT here gets to any fast paced show that requires good ratings too keep going, everything is literally shit. Every show (and every recent movie) I've seen has horrible gunplay (exept for maybe True Detective). In GoT they are filming in like 4 or even 5 separate locations with 2 filming crews and have less than a year to do 10 hours of content. Give them a break.

And I agree that season 5 sucked badly but all the hate it gets in these forums (getting rated 1 out of 10) is simply ridiculous.

Game of thrones is Game of thrones, it's an adaptation of ASOIAF.

If you don't know the meaning of the verb "to adapt", look it up.

Um, no one questions whether it is an adaptation. The question is when and where it fails.

The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire, The West Wing, Breaking Bad - all have better writing than GoT (seasons 2-5). You may not like any or all of the shows I listed, but they actually have strong writing and continuity with fascinating character development.

GoT is more on the level of Scandal.

Opinions are like bumholes... Everybody has one

Regarding GoT vs. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos and BB: the big difference between those shows and GoT is the fact that they had COMPLETE creative liberty. Not so for GoT.

In fact, the decline in quality is directly linked to the decline in quality of the source. Grrm's well slowly dried up. Sometimes d&d replenished it with water (tyrion's much speedier travels) and sometimes with piss (Dorne). But they can't completely fix what is broken.

The underlying structural problems in both tv and book are a lack of focus in storytelling. So many characters and a central conflict of epic proportions (white walkers and dragons anyone?) that has no resolution but which absolutely dwarfs the other conflict we're supposed to care about (political intrigue and 'smaller' personal drama) oh and also; too many undeaths :)

Wow, just wow.

...Patience is a virtue

I don't think it really captures the political things well. TBH.

The entire Northern plotting, Dorne throne plotting, Varys plotting and actual reasons for Cersei behaving in KL were cut.

The KL plotline was reduced to mean girls and a 9th grader's interpretation of the Catholic church.

The north storyline made no sense for anyone and just seemed to be there to shock people (Sansa's wedding, Stannis character assassination)

In Dorne we are clearly supposed to hate the Sand Snakes and we don't get to see how the political situation is there just Ellaria avenging her partner by killing little girls.

Wow, just wow.

...Patience is a virtue

I'm a patiënt guy, don't worry. I just genuinely think that asoiaf would have been a lot better if it was actually split into two series:

1) game of thrones - a historical fantasy story focusing on starks vs. Lannisters, the iron thron & the war of 5 kings and ending with the red wedding.

2) asoiaif - a high fantasy story focusing on Jon Snow and Dany and their origin stories. Probably ending in a westeros wasteland.

The medium (book or tv) would be less relevant.

The "political intrigue" is not done well at all, lol. You should try branching out and watching other TV shows that focus on politics.

Right? Like whoever thinks the political intrigue on this show is legit is... well not legit. It's just a dumbed down version of the novels.

Havre they seen i Claudius? Now that's political Intrigue done right!

Archived