Does Jorah actually love Dany?

Not pathetic but I think he always came of as a bit needy and like he had some form of minority complex where he had to prove himself and get "the girl".

Nail hit on head.

Can love truly grow out of such a situation? Or would it always be poisoned by the initial agendas?

I keep thinking that love grows out of arranged marriages sometimes. Couldn't it grow out of desperation or need?

Hmm. . . that's an interesting phrase. "Love grows out of blank." Has a bit if a double meaning, doesn't it? I'm in America, anyone in other countries use the same English phrase? Or are there others? Like, idk . . . "love grows from" or "in" or something?

When they met, Daenerys was all of fifteen years old at most, and particularly lacking on life experience even for her age.

Jorah is thirty years her senior.

If he does love her, he is expressing that love in a very inappropriate way. But I find it more likely that he is having a particularly bad case of midlife crisis.

I don't really blame him for the whoring, he was definitely depressed. Especially in a world like this that's ok I guess.

Not pathetic but I think he always came of as a bit needy and like he had some form of minority complex where he had to prove himself and get "the girl".

It's not the whoring that's pathetic. It's the choosing a whore who looks like Dany that is pathetic.

When they met, Daenerys was all of fifteen years old at most, and particularly lacking on life experience even for her age.

Jorah is thirty years her senior.

If he does love her, he is expressing that love in a very inappropriate way. But I find it more likely that he is having a particularly bad case of midlife crisis.

She was 13.

It's not the whoring that's pathetic. It's the choosing a whore who looks like Dany that is pathetic.

Agreed but I meant you can't blame him for the whoring itself in that setting. The Dany look-a-like is pretty much a red flag.

Can love truly grow out of such a situation? Or would it always be poisoned by the initial agendas?

I keep thinking that love grows out of arranged marriages sometimes. Couldn't it grow out of desperation or need?

Cat and Ned worked out fine.

Out of desperation and need it can work too somewhat: Roslin and Edmure. Sure the circumstances are shit but they do seem to care for each other and maybe exactly that situation even helped.

Out of desperation and need it can work too somewhat: Roslin and Edmure. Sure the circumstances are shit but they do seem to care for each other and maybe exactly that situation even helped.

Ooh, good in-universe parallel!!

Hm. That makes me wonder if we would question his love had Dany returned it? I think I would have less doubt, probably! That kind of bugs me. I shouldn't find Edmure's love more valid simply because it is returned. Esp. in this comparison: in most unrequited love situations there is a glaring gap where the lover doesn't have intimate emotional knowledge of the love interest, as one does in requited love. But in this case I would argue that Jorah knows Dany very intimately, probably he knows more of her whims and ways etc. than Edmure knew of Rosalin (at least at first). Haha, I'm debating with myself.

Why is it? Seems like Jorah has a type, (Lynesse/Dany looking chicks), and apparently there's a whore looking like that in the brothel, so why not go for that one?

True but didn't it seem more like he actively looked for one that resembled here. Maybe he was just packed and to him all Valyrians look all the same. That's racist.

But seriously, there is someone he supposedly loved, then the first reaction when he gets rejected is to simply want to bang her/someone that looks like her? Seems more like sexual frustration than love. If some one gets his heart broken it's normal to seek comfort in sex, even it's completely unemotional, but the it's with someone who doesn't look like that person you love.

Hm. That makes me wonder if we would question his love had Dany returned it?

I think that would be the worst case scenario, he would simply go for it but it would be out of lust in the end and some disillusion about his future with her.

There is also the fact that he really just more like a father figure to her, it just seems wrong.

But of course he can.
There are people in our world who marry each other even though there is a great age difference.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/married-couple-32-year-age-gap-5037480
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_disparity_in_sexual_relationships

So an older guy loving a younger women is not impossible, though it might come of as indecent.

Why is it? Seems like Jorah has a type, (Lynesse/Dany looking chicks), and apparently there's a whore looking like that in the brothel, so why not go for that one?

Because it's not just a cute blonde in this case. It's a girl who specifically looks like Dany. Lynesse didn't have Targ hair, just blonde. This was not going for his type. This was a cheap replacement for the girl he can't have.

Yeah, I think it is fair to say I would see a 44-years old man proposing to marry a 14-years old girl as indecent.

In this world, in this century, yes. But not in that world, and that time.

Proposing marriage is honorable at least. Plenty of girls Dany's age and younger have been seduced and abandoned by men of all ages.

Yeah, I think it is fair to say I would see a 44-years old man proposing to marry a 14-years old girl as indecent.

There's a 1-year old Lannister that gets married off so Jorah-Dany seems still pretty harmless. Not to forget Walder Frey and his bride etc...

Archived