I gotta get this off my chest about Melisandre

But all Thoros did was use the ritual that is part and parcel of the Red Faith, as I remember it. So wouldn't Mel have the same ritual?

Thoros himself was surprised when he resurrected Beric the first time. He doesn't know how it worked or why it worked that one time.

But all Thoros did was use the ritual that is part and parcel of the Red Faith, as I remember it. So wouldn't Mel have the same ritual?

Mel has not been around for very many deaths that weren't executions and so has not had the time/inclination to perform the ritual on anyone.

I think that the fact that the show had her physically turn up and interact with Thoros on this subject could be seen as quite telling. I know the show isn't an infallible source, but surely the fact that they made a point to ensure that the audience knows that Melisandre knows it can be done is important.

I figured this as well, they made sure to have a scene where he specifically says what he did, said the "words" which made it seem like it was a known prayer amongst the priests. Figured that's why they included it.

As many have said though, it could be the power didn't come through Thoros the awesome, and actually was with Beric, then he passed it to LSH.

For it to be a ritual it means a lot of people do it. So having the same ritual isn't an automatic check for resurrection powers.

A way to make sense of all this goes as follows:

When the dragons came back fire magic began to work again/better than before. But this doesn't mean everybody can be brought back by the Red Priest fire magic stuff - which is confirmed by the fact that Thoros only brought Beric back despite the fact that he most likely administered the last rites to other fallen brethren as well. And he would have been facing the wishes of his friends and allies to bring back their dead just as brought back Beric. Just as Arya did when she talked to him.

Thus there has to be a reason why this did not work, and why there isn't an army of recently revived people in the Free Cities.

My take on it is that Beric Dondarrion has a drop of dragonlord blood through a Targaryen ancestors. The magic quality of his dragonlord blood connected with Thoros' fire magic and together they restored him to life. The hint that Beric may have Targaryen blood is in the Targaryen family tree - Baelor Breakspear married Jena Dondarrion, which may indicate that the Dondarrions already had Targaryen blood - most likely through one of the six daughters of Rhaena Targaryen - to be deemed worthy enough to married to the Prince of Dragonstone.

A working fire magic matrix can then transferred to another body to revive it is the revived person wishes to do that. That would explain Catelyn. But she could herself had Targaryen blood if the Tullys ever married a Lothston - who essentially are an unofficial cadet branch of House Targaryen.

Melisandre own innate fire could be explained that way, too. Some people assume that Mel is also a resurrected fire wight herself. If she is the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar as some people suggest this could explain why her fire magic matrix burns a lot hotter - she has much more Targaryen blood than either Beric or Catelyn. Even if Melisandre is not a fire wight her Targaryen blood could have enabled her to go through whatever process made her as 'hot' as she is. The Volantene red priests may enjoy similar advantages - at least those who are illegitimate descendants of the incestuous Old Blood of Volantis.

The origin of this whole spell thing may go back to the sorcerer princes of Valyria who may have searched and found how to cheat death.

A way to make sense of all this goes as follows:

When the dragons came back fire magic began to work again/better than before. But this doesn't mean everybody can be brought back by the Red Priest fire magic stuff - which is confirmed by the fact that Thoros only brought Beric back despite the fact that he most likely administered the last rites to other fallen brethren as well. And he would have been facing the wishes of his friends and allies to bring back their dead just as brought back Beric. Just as Arya did when she talked to him.

Thus there has to be a reason why this did not work, and why there isn't an army of recently revived people in the Free Cities.

My take on it is that Beric Dondarrion has a drop of dragonlord blood through a Targaryen ancestors. The magic quality of his dragonlord blood connected with Thoros' fire magic and together they restored him to life. The hint that Beric may have Targaryen blood is in the Targaryen family tree - Baelor Breakspear married Jena Dondarrion, which may indicate that the Dondarrions already had Targaryen blood - most likely through one of the six daughters of Rhaena Targaryen - to be deemed worthy enough to married to the Prince of Dragonstone.

A working fire magic matrix can then transferred to another body to revive it is the revived person wishes to do that. That would explain Catelyn. But she could herself had Targaryen blood if the Tullys ever married a Lothston - who essentially are an unofficial cadet branch of House Targaryen.

Melisandre own innate fire could be explained that way, too. Some people assume that Mel is also a resurrected fire wight herself. If she is the daughter of Bloodraven and Shiera Seastar as some people suggest this could explain why her fire magic matrix burns a lot hotter - she has much more Targaryen blood than either Beric or Catelyn. Even if Melisandre is not a fire wight her Targaryen blood could have enabled her to go through whatever process made her as 'hot' as she is. The Volantene red priests may enjoy similar advantages - at least those who are illegitimate descendants of the incestuous Old Blood of Volantis.

The origin of this whole spell thing may go back to the sorcerer princes of Valyria who may have searched and found how to cheat death.

I think more likely that rather than Targaryen ancestry (both for Beric and Mel), it would be something along the line of King's Blood.

As far as Cat goes it seems Beric passed it on to Cat at the cost of his own life so perhaps it was not something that had to do with Cat's ancestry as much as it was a gift that could be passed on.

Thoros thought that Dondarrion was AA. Still does possibly.

They're all doing the same thing. Mel just hasn't yet had the reason to bring anyone back to life.

Don'tcha gettit? Thoros has a better soul.

So he's better at soul magics. The magic wildfire hasn't ignited yet.... we're in the early stages and only the kindling is burning so far. Only sporadic miracles are seen at this point, chance occurances, nothing surefire or wholesale. Melis isn't worthy of calling this miracle or stunt or however you frame it. That's the point in the books having her be passed over in favor of the APATHETIC one, Thoros. That's the show's point in having Melisandre be shocked and perturbed that another cast this thing that's beyond her ken, as she's accustomed to being at the forefront of spell stylings.

Who would Melisandre have brought back at this point?

I can't think of any instances where she showed up just in time to find a freshly dead friend or ally that needed resurrection.

Melisandre is also a shadow binder in addition to being a red priestess, so her juice in that department might make her look more powerful but it might not be so.

I get the sense that Mel is much more powerful that Thoros is. Maybe the reason that LSH and Beric are physically and emotionally screwed up is because Thoros is not nearly powerful enough for a true resurrection?

The reason for the changes to Beric and LSH are given in the text:

-Beric has been brought back repeatedly and each time retains less of himself

-Cat was DEAD FOR DAYS before being brought back. Her body was beginning to decompose already, and Thoros refused to bring her back because HE KNEW she would not be remotely like the woman she was before. Beric is the one who brought Cat back, not Thoros.

Am I the only one who feels that the type of magic Mel and Thoros use is more dangerous than it gets credit for? As in, it can literally raise the dead and the people performing it have no idea. Talk about calling on forces you can't control! It's especially scary when considering that Thoros, the one who accidently raised the dead, is considered one of the weaker ones! Imagine what Mel can do! I'm almost surprised she hasn't cause an extinction level event after an especially spicy curry or something...

Archived